06 E60 Crank, NO Start, NO Communication With DME

antonio186

May 5, 2020
i was wondering if someone has here has come across this particular issue and has any tips or recommendations.

i have an early 06 E60 The engine cranks strong, I get fuel to the fuel rail, I checked all fuses in the trunk and in the glove box. I haven't checked the relay for the DME yet, will plan to do that this weekend. When I hook up my laptop to the OBD2 port it shows no communication with the DME. This all happened after a long cold winter last year and the battery went flat. After charging and recovering the battery the 1st issue that popped up is the ELV was acting up and woudnt unlock the steering wheel. im guessing somehow that got out of sync with the CAS module and I eventually got it to start responding again. But it still wouldn't start. now with the wheel unlocked i moved the trans into neutral so i could drag the car into my driveway from my front yard and look at it. Anyway long story short I have had the battery out of the car now for a few months and I decided to start looking into the issue again. I have checked all the ground straps I could see and checked continuity between both sides of each strap. I am wondering if there is something simple I'm over looking. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

antonio186

May 5, 2020
The DME also has a ground to the chassis.
so if i take the passenger side cabin air filter out and the ducting for the cabin air filters the DME should be located under there correct? i have also read that there seems to be an issue with water getting into the DME, as you can tell i havent inspected the DME yet, but wanted to know if i was heading down the correct path for troubleshooting here.

• Agree
Reactions: NoQuarter

antonio186

May 5, 2020
So how fcked am I? See attached pics. The corroded pins appear to be ground and a signal wire. The missing pin appears to be a red 12v+ source. I'm sure I can clean up the connector but it's there anyone that can replace a missing pin on the DME? Or does it just need to be closed and replaced?

Attachments

• 20200514_161849.jpg
    20200514_161849.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 20200514_161726.jpg
    20200514_161726.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 122

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Worse case scenario is not even that bad.

You can get a second hand DME and pay for help to program it to work.

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
Did you get is sorted out, cause you can take those pins out and clean them. 1,2,+3 are power to the ecu, injectors, and coils.

K_Troopa

Lurker
Jul 11, 2018
Ride
2008 535xi
I had these symptoms today. Came here for advice and search took me here. I checked on my DME contacts and mine are all fine, not corroded like OP. So I blew on it like a Nintendo cartridge, plugged back in and now I have start again. The Nintendo Cartridge Fix.

Earlier today, I unplugged the DME to check whether I have MSD 80 or 81 (I have 80; need the mosfet service). Must not have made good contact when I put it back the first time. Was really confused when I got crank and no action, and MHD couldn't contact the DME.