17T Turbo Balance Conundrum

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
What is it with you ppl sending things over to the USA just for getting a closed deck?! There are plenty of companies in the EU and I bet my arse in the UK who can do a simple job like closed deck. It is being done for decades and no wonder born in the USA.
If you don´t have competent companies around you then go to subi performance for example in Germany.
Just buy the CSS and ship it with the engine to them or contact them prior to buying the CSS and align with them about the project.
I was only suggesting it as I have looked in the UK, and yes, I have a machine shop that can do it nearby, have they done it for an N54, ever ? No.

I want someone competent in N54, and their ultra sensitive sensors.

Good suggestion about SUBI, and they are “relatively” close.

JohnDaviz

Lieutenant
Jan 6, 2019
Ride
335i E92 DCT
I was only suggesting it as I have looked in the UK, and yes, I have a machine shop that can do it nearby, have they done it for an N54, ever ? No.

I want someone competent in N54, and their ultra sensitive sensors.

Good suggestion about SUBI, and they are “relatively” close.

I understand your thinking and I would also be ultra-sensitive about this operation. But you basically need a good machine shop that understands how to do closed deck conversions. It is actually a rather easy thing in the end as you are heat shrinking the parts into the block. Block is heated and inserts are as cold as possible. Some use dry ice. The critical value is the press fit. So how much overlap you want in the end.

The machined inserts are the critical point and have to be machined pretty precisely.

Subi Performance is actually really really close to me. Like 30km. Shit tons of knowledge there.
He is also working together with Tim Schrick and they converted Turbo engines into NA engines for Nürburgring multiple hour races.
Check his Youtube channel. Sometimes he streams in English but it is not his favorite language I guess :D

He is specialized in Subaru Boxer engines but now also does BMW. Said in a pretty new video that he can do all of them now.

Reactions: Subwoofer

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
I understand your thinking and I would also be ultra-sensitive about this operation. But you basically need a good machine shop that understands how to do closed deck conversions. It is actually a rather easy thing in the end as you are heat shrinking the parts into the block. Block is heated and inserts are as cold as possible. Some use dry ice. The critical value is the press fit. So how much overlap you want in the end.

The machined inserts are the critical point and have to be machined pretty precisely.

Subi Performance is actually really really close to me. Like 30km. Shit tons of knowledge there.
He is also working together with Tim Schrick and they converted Turbo engines into NA engines for Nürburgring multiple hour races.
Check his Youtube channel. Sometimes he streams in English but it is not his favorite language I guess :D

He is specialized in Subaru Boxer engines but now also does BMW. Said in a pretty new video that he can do all of them now.
Yeah thanks for that man.
Just want it to be perfect for when I get around to it, so then it’s not in my mind!

thanks for vids I will have a look now

Brule

Sergeant
Feb 20, 2017
Ride
335i 2007 6spd manual
It's cheaper to buy a css sleeved block shipped to Australia then buying just a block in Australia.

Reactions: Subwoofer

dreptroman

Lurker
Feb 2, 2019
Ride
E93 335i N54
I did take my turbos for balancing and they came out to be just fine. Wasted 300 euros but wanted to make sure. The paper included is bullshit but the turbos were fine and still going strong after 1 year

Reactions: MoreBoost

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54
EDIT: Thanks your finding and reading my post. Unfortunately, Spoolstreet is no longer a neutral platform where we can have honest discussions on subjects and products freely.
For this reason I have deleted all information I posted on the forums.

Last edited: