1'Series Hatchback N54 Build/Swap

dvb1995

Private
Nov 24, 2016
Europe
The donercar for this project ratteled a lot from the turboes and would throw a 30FF code when using kickdown. I therefore took the turboes and downpipes off the engine and brought it to my work to replace the wastegates.
I used a socket and a long bolt with a washer to pull out the old bushing, and used our press to insert the new ones. To make sure the wastegate arm would be in the same location at before i marked down where the arm pointed when the wastegate was closed, and welded the ned one on in the same location/direction.

Z2rNMsc.jpg

ai2eQMA.jpg

2oPbIEJ.jpg

mWZ2giH.jpg

C2sLH2Y.jpg

I also cut open the original downpipes and removed the material from the cats. I know its stupid to not just buy de-cat downpipes right away, but i would like to keep cost down until the car runs and drives, and then start making mods to it.

OkaaGwm.jpg

4MLUK13.jpg

peKvll5.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
The donercar for this project ratteled a lot from the turboes and would throw a 30FF code when using kickdown. I therefore took the turboes and downpipes off the engine and brought it to my work to replace the wastegates.
I used a socket and a long bolt with a washer to pull out the old bushing, and used our press to insert the new ones. To make sure the wastegate arm would be in the same location at before i marked down where the arm pointed when the wastegate was closed, and welded the ned one on in the same location/direction.

Z2rNMsc.jpg

ai2eQMA.jpg

2oPbIEJ.jpg

mWZ2giH.jpg

C2sLH2Y.jpg

I also cut open the original downpipes and removed the material from the cats. I know its stupid to not just buy de-cat downpipes right away, but i would like to keep cost down until the car runs and drives, and then start making mods to it.

OkaaGwm.jpg

4MLUK13.jpg

peKvll5.jpg

Are those OEM wastegates or did you buy the upgraded (billet?) ones?

dvb1995

Private
Nov 24, 2016
Europe
Got the turboes fitted back on the engine - i wrapped the outlet pipe and downpipes in some heat wrap i had laying around. Im not sure i like it, or if it might just trap the heat in, and raise the intake temp. So i might take it off again... With time i would like to install silicone outlets and meth.

er2VUNh.jpg

Then i changed the motormounts for the 335i ones, and put the engine/gearbox in the car.

nWAvAyb.jpg

4RrJcTd.jpg

6zGF08D.jpg

MVLnYPi.jpg

Then i took my other 1 series out for a quick spin to get some parts for the fuel system.

bgyUZXz.jpg

I have deleted the emission/charcoal thing, and replaced the hard fuel line for some E85 compatible fuel line.

lwksQFC.jpg

tiP0J3H.jpg

In the e87 hatch the part number for fuel tanks differs between the tanks for diesel cars and for gas cars, but i decided to see if i could fit the stock 335i fuel pump assemblies anyhow. As far as i can tell they fit perfectly.

fwb7cDU.jpg

aFqm1mM.jpg

Afterwards i got started on the wiring. I took apart the fuseboxes to look at the differences. Most notable is that the E87/118D fusebox doesn't have the K6300 dme relay. But after some soldering i think i have made it work. Time will tell.....

lXtH3BU.jpg

Started untangling some wires....

PVjcdNr.jpg

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
You are doing a great job! And wow... That pile of wires, isn't that a lot of stress?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
My plan is to just trace all the wires from engines loom to their end location, and add them to the loom in the hatch.

This is also a problem solving mystery I get to see unfold at the same time

dvb1995

Private
Nov 24, 2016
Europe
I'm planning on installing the 3 series clusterin the car as i like it alot more than the normal 1 series cluster, and i cant find a 1m to put in it.

I have been looking at pictures of retrofits that other have made, but im not really sure if i should use the cluster cover from the 1 series or the 3 series?

Also, i bought some white LED's to change the color from orange to white, but when i soldered them in they turned out to be blue instead
rolleyes2.gif

So does anyone have a link to some white led's that they have actually bought and know for a fact are white?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Maybe the seller just sent you the wrong type? I'd contact them and ask them to send you the right kind

dvb1995

Private
Nov 24, 2016
Europe
I traced all the wires coming from the engine back to where they originated. For anyone else doing this project, you can do this without having the entire wiring loom. As long as you have the engine loom you can look up where they go on the wiring diagrams. Im just doing it this way to all the wires are the original color/size/pin type ect.
kI4fVos.jpg

fMsJeYK.jpg

edYxeb3.jpg

CJEpqz4.jpg

cOMmmxA.jpg

I also ran the wire that contains the vehicle speed signal from the DSC to the ecu.
dTKsXy1.jpg

Then i extended the wire for the expansion tank as it is now located in the other side of the engine bay
tgE0ggK.jpg

Added the E-box fan
8XoRe4w.jpg

Shifter assembly
j6CqOsW.jpg

and coolant lines
X9NCwy2.jpg

I actually did all of this before the last update, but forgot to post it.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
This is very valuable info, do you intend to make an official DIY? I wish I didn't want a convertible and a 4 door so badly at the same time lol. I just had the sedan already.

dvb1995

Private
Nov 24, 2016
Europe
I don't think I will make a diy for any of this, because the cars are so different. I have to take some extra steps because my hatch was a diesel - whereas it would be a lot easier to swap from a 130i e87. my build is also made considerably more difficult because im swapping from pre 09/2007 to a post 09/2007. If anyone needs help they are more than welcome to ask, and i will do my best to help them.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Do they make a hatch 135 there? I think the n54 hatch 1er is super cool. Wish they made something like that here, or even the hatch 130 so it could be swapped.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
There are not many here in Denmark as cars are taxed 150% but i would guess they have many in Germany?

Yeah well unfortunately I can only image the cost of shipping a car like that an have no idea what I'd be getting myself in regarding customs. I don't think I love it that much lol.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
They play Judge Judy in Europe?

That's one hell of a project to undertake in a home garage with such a short timeline. +5 machismo points

Looking forward to progress updates

• Agree

dvb1995

Private
Nov 24, 2016
Europe
They play Judge Judy in Europe?

That's one hell of a project to undertake in a home garage with such a short timeline. +5 machismo points

Looking forward to progress updates
The internet plays judge judy as background noise, in this case at least :p

And thanks :)