2010 model year injector recall

ASquared

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Las Vegas
I saw on the other forums that BMW has now issued an extended warranty on 2010 models within a certain build date. My car falls into the range, however since apparently it was initially a military purchased vehicle, apparently BMW has no service records or any existence of the car in their systems. I bought my E90 back in May of this year, had no idea about that. So I had to submit paperwork including the VIN for it to be recognized for any recalls or warranties, I was told that takes 10 days.

So on to my question while I wait. People have been getting reimbursed dollar for dollar on out of pocket expenses if they had faulty injectors. What I want to know is.....has anybody truly had an experience with this and do they cover parts and labor if done at an Indy shop? Some folks were saying they bought injectors from ECS for $1500 and BMW sent them a check no questions asked as long as they showed proof of purchase and at times a diagnostic report from a shop assuring faulty injectors. Others were saying they would cover parts and labor from an Indy shop as it would typically be cheaper than what BMW NA would reimburse the dealer. However, there has been no consensus and the BMW rep couldn't tell me much about that. I'm asking because I'd prefer to take my car to an Indy. The dealer here recently allowed customers' cars to get stolen right from under their noses....so no thanks there, avoiding them at all costs.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
The dealer where I am has had to install cameras in the shop because techs were stealing cash and stuff out of the center consoles. Regarding the injectors, I haven't had that. Where are you getting this from, a service bulletin?

ASquared

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Las Vegas
The dealer where I am has had to install cameras in the shop because techs were stealing cash and stuff out of the center consoles. Regarding the injectors, I haven't had that. Where are you getting this from, a service bulletin?

Yea I guess they have it as a service bulletin. Even Jeff from Topgearsolutions chimed in saying they reimbursed him on injectors he purchased from RockAuto. Here is what was posted on several other forums. I just have to wait until they recognize my vin in order to try for reimbursement once I do have my injectors swapped.

SI B01 02 15

E60 (535i Sedan and 535i xDrive Sedan)
Model Year 2010 produced 1/21/2009 to 12/17/2009

E61 (535i xDrive Sports Wagon)
Model Year 2010 produced 2/18/2009 to 3/30/2010

E71 (X6 xDrive35i)
Model Year 2010 produced 6/10/2009 to 3/18/2010

E82 (135i Coupe)
Model Year 2010 produced 8/13/2009 to 2/26/2010

E88 (135i Convertible)
Model Year 2010 produced 7/22/2009 to 2/26/2010

E89 (Z4 sDrive35i)
Model Years 2010 and 2011 produced 8/31/2009 to 8/30/2011

E90 (335i Sedan and 335i xDrive Sedan)
Model Year 2010 produced from 4/23/2009 to 2/25/2010

E92 (335i Coupe and 335i xDrive Coupe)
Model Year 2010 produced 7/27/2009 to 02/26/2010

E93 (335i Convertible)
Model Year 2010 produced 8/29/2009 to 2/25/2010

F01 (740i Sedan)
Model Years 2011 and 2012 produced 11/16/2009 to 6/20/2012

F02 (740Li Sedan LWB)
Model Years 2011 and 2012 produced 2/18/2010 to 6/20/2012

With the N54 engine

For the above-referenced vehicles, BMW of North America, LLC (“BMW NA”) is extending the limited warranty for the fuel injectors to:

10 years/120,000 miles as determined by the vehicle’s original in-service date

This bulletin is notice of a “limited warranty extension.” This is NOT a notice of a Recall or Service Action.

For a customer to request reimbursement for a “qualifying customer-pay repair” performed either by an authorized BMW center or independent repair shop located in the United States (including Puerto Rico), please have him/her submit his/her reimbursement request “online” at www.BMW-RP.com .

Alternative Method to Request Reimbursement
Mail or fax your request and documentation to:
BMW Customer Reimbursement Center
Attention: B-ELWR 2015 Fuel Injectors 10Y120M
P.O. Box 561089
Dallas, Texas 75356
Fax number: 877-434-2992
Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing your request.
Should you have any questions concerning this reimbursement process, please call 1-844-857-0341.
For all other questions, please contact the BMW’s Customer Relations and Services via email at [email protected] or via telephone at 1-800-831-1117.
Please have your 17-character Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) available and include the VIN with all communications.

Reactions: don detta

ASquared

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Las Vegas
Yea that's what I was trying to explain. I called but the representative couldn't really elaborate until they are able to make my VIN available in their system. I wasn't aware my vehicle had initially been a militarily vehicle which apparently doesn't show them any records of the VIN even existing. Didn't really make much sense to me, but I emailed them the things they asked for in order to verify. I asked anyway if they covered parts and labor, he said sometimes, but couldn't say for sure and didn't wanna mislead me. That's why I figured I'd ask on here if anybody has had an experience of such that BMW NA refunded parts and labor from an Indy repair for a warranty item. Worst case, I'll do it, and submit the paperwork and see what happens.

BIGOLTTS

Lurker
Nov 5, 2016
NC
Pretty sure my car qualifies for this, however I may have a unique situation. I ended up needing to replace all injectors last year at an independent shop. I got a majority covered through an aftermarket warranty, but still paid several hundred out of pocket for fees associated with warranty, not to mention having to pay for the warranty in the first place. Any idea what I might be able to get back for expenses incurred? Although the aftermarket warranty company paid, I still had to pay a lot to obtain the coverage so could I not recoup some/all of this since it should have been covered under the recall?

ASquared

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Las Vegas
Pretty sure my car qualifies for this, however I may have a unique situation. I ended up needing to replace all injectors last year at an independent shop. I got a majority covered through an aftermarket warranty, but still paid several hundred out of pocket for fees associated with warranty, not to mention having to pay for the warranty in the first place. Any idea what I might be able to get back for expenses incurred? Although the aftermarket warranty company paid, I still had to pay a lot to obtain the coverage so could I not recoup some/all of this since it should have been covered under the recall?

I'm pretty sure you will have to call and inquire about that, but honestly I would think you are entitled to the portion you paid. Hopefully you still have your invoices showing the amount you paid out of pocket.

Dave@Fuel-It!

Corporal
Nov 3, 2016
IL
It is indeed legit.

You need to submit:

1) proof of purchase for the injectors (credit card statement etc)

2) diognostic

3) proof of a paid work order- proof that the work was actually completed (again a credit card statement, etc would work fine).

- Just remember this is a reimbursement, meaning you need to spend the $ beforehand, and then it's up to bmw-RP if they are going to pay.

Hope this helps :)

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

Davidwarren

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Louisville
I bought injectors from FCP and installed them myself. I sent a copy of my invoice from FCP, the transactions from my amex card, and a letter with my VIN and production date and this:

Current mileage: 84,000
Vehicle had prolonged cranks when cold and hot. Misfires across multiple cylinders on both
banks. Walnut shell cleaning previously performed.
Replaced spark plugs at 83,400 miles. Evidence of fuel fouling on multiple spark plugs. Misfires
remain.
Replaced coil packs at 83,500. Misfires remain.
Replaced fuel injectors with new index 12 injectors and new decouplers. Coded injectors to car.
Misfires and long cranks resolved.

I got a check for like $1700 the next week.

ATL-IS-N54

Sergeant
Nov 20, 2016
ATL ga
Depending on your current injector index and car codes symptoms etc.. You could get either 1,3 or all 6 replaced... I just had my 2011 at the dealer for all 6 injectors and something else related (total of 2700$) covered under warranty/recall... I have a 2011 335is with 41k miles, which is one of the few 2011 BMWs that had an N54 still

ASquared

Corporal
Nov 6, 2016
Las Vegas
I called the dealer and they quoted me $3500 for parts, tax, and labor. Pretty ridiculous, so I'm sure BMW NA wouldn't question anything cheaper than the dealer charges as long as proper paperwork is provided. I'm still waiting to hear from BMW NA because apparently they verified my VIN, but with my vehicle originally being a military purchase, it is causing lots of difficulties with all warranty stuff not showing in their system. I'm awaiting a call back from the department that deals with the military purchases and I'll most likely have to submit my paperwork via mail or fax since I won't ever be able to use the BMW-RP website. Such a pain in the ass for something I had nothing to do with.