2018 VTT New Product Release Thread

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
@Chris@VargasTurboTech , are you guys still planning on coming out with a bottom mount single kit this year? I understand if you don't want to give out too many details yet but even a confirmation would be awesome. I think if anyone can come out with an easily accessible ST conversion kit it's you guys, and as much as I'd love to run the twin GTX setup you guys sell I think a VTT bottom mount would be a better all-around option for me and a whole host of other people.
I asked this question end of May and @Chris@VargasTurboTech said end of year.

Filippo

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm curious for a 600whp goal on pump gas what would spool better stage 3 with properly sized turbo "not sure which turbo from choices" or the new gc lites ?

I don't think that 600 whp on pump gas is a reasonable goal for the GC lites. We did 570ish on the first gen GC's back in the day on a fairly simple tune, I would expect a little more out of the GC V2.0's, but if you want 600 on pump gas forget about lites IMO. When it comes to spool though, nothing matches them.

Chris

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I don't think that 600 whp on pump gas is a reasonable goal for the GC lites. We did 570ish on the first gen GC's back in the day on a fairly simple tune, I would expect a little more out of the GC V2.0's, but if you want 600 on pump gas forget about lites IMO. When it comes to spool though, nothing matches them.

Chris
I've seen your comparison dynos but as far as transient response once spooled how much of a difference do you think their is, and if using meth you think gc lites could do 600 or just go gc either way and last not what would you say is a safe dd power level for the new gc lites and gc on pump 93 and pump meth.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Lag (which is not the same as spool) is very very low on the lites, although the new GC 2.0 turbine is amazing given the additional power potential.

Lites have done over 600 on pump plus meth on several customer cars, but that is a firehose of meth. YMMV.

Safe DD power really depends on so many things, parts, health of motor, tuning strategy (low timing/more boost is harder on the turbos than more timing/less boost). With a conservative perspective, I tend to use "about" 600 whp as the dividing line between recommendation on lites and GC's, but I do temper that with my feel for the customer I'm working with. After a while you tend to identify the guys who really only want 500 whp vs. the guys who say they want 500 but really want 600. Tony would probably bump my numbers by 25-50 whp; he thinks maxed out on a healthy motor lites would do 700. I also tend to ask what the car is used for. If you're more autocross purpose... lites. If it's more a DD, man I think it's hard to beat the 19T compressors on a 3 liter motor. I love the lites, but with the new turbine in the GC2.0's..... I can't say no to them.

In my personal car, on a high mileage stock motor that has not had the easiest life, with moderate power goals and the purpose being more just ripping around like an a-hole than actual competition, GC's all the way. Lites would do it, but I firmly believe in headroom, besides, as compression drops I can just turn the boost up a little more. ;) That same strategy got me 30k+ on old stage 2+'s.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
So for track setup you think the response of lites the way to go ? These new upgraded lites should have better response than stock right cause old are about equal as far as i understood

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Ive just installed my gc 2.0 and on the base tune these things are sensational, straight of the bat they made the same power as my previous turbos on straight 98 with less timing

They spool is surprisingly fast and hitting 20psi by 3200rpm

Ill post up some logs when its tuned properly but things look very promising

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Ive just installed my gc 2.0 and on the base tune these things are sensational, straight of the bat they made the same power as my previous turbos on straight 98 with less timing

I swear every time I decide go one way over other I read something that changes my mind lol. Im going to be 93 maybe run meth if I need so that is a big factor but I want that response that just makes car feel like wants to rip out of turns where I can play with slip angle instantly. I want to avoid any soft or mushy power delivery at all costs not to sound like a magazine but my goal is to maintain the crisp response and tip in that our cars have.

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive

I'm also loving my gc 2.0's! Just be warned once your start hitting the pedal other things start to go depending on your mileage. My car was recently down for about two weeks total (one was waiting on a stupid tool on buyable on ebay) when my axel boot broke. The boot was probably ready to go anyways since i have 122k miles on the car. Thankfully this is a second car so I dont have to worry about downtime anymore. I sold my e93 bmw and purchased a new camry because I wanted something reliable with good gas mileage lol. I still need to get my bmw on the dyno and visit the track, but I've just been so busy with school I've been slacking.

N54QC

Corporal
Aug 17, 2017
Ride
07 E90 335i
I'm also loving my gc 2.0's! Just be warned once your start hitting the pedal other things start to go depending on your mileage. My car was recently down for about two weeks total (one was waiting on a stupid tool on buyable on ebay) when my axel boot broke. The boot was probably ready to go anyways since i have 122k miles on the car. Thankfully this is a second car so I dont have to worry about downtime anymore. I sold my e93 bmw and purchased a new camry because I wanted something reliable with good gas mileage lol. I still need to get my bmw on the dyno and visit the track, but I've just been so busy with school I've been slacking.
I noticed this too, it was mainly my tires! :)

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I swear every time I decide go one way over other I read something that changes my mind lol. Im going to be 93 maybe run meth if I need so that is a big factor but I want that response that just makes car feel like wants to rip out of turns where I can play with slip angle instantly. I want to avoid any soft or mushy power delivery at all costs not to sound like a magazine but my goal is to maintain the crisp response and tip in that our cars have.

I have MMPs which have the 19T compressor as well. While not exactly the same, they're very close to GCs. I don't think you'll be disappointed with GCs over GC Lites, even on 93. it gives you a good bit of headroom/growth, and let's be honest, we're not talking about big turbos here. Big relative to the stockers that are 10Ts, but you should have NO issues with response in the turns. I doubt you'll be coming out of a turn at 2500 rpms, more like 4000+ and you'll be nailing 20PSI or more by then. I'm always more concerned about having TOO much torque coming out of turns. You'll be playing with slip angle for sure.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Thanks for all feedback and hopefully this is the one time I did things right, i have upgraded everything except block and turbos in preparation. I had never done suspension beyond sub frame connectors and simple spring shock combo to lower car. Let me tell you e92 IRS blows away an 04 cobra that's wheel hop and scary at 140 let alone 160. Anyway I have been trying make sure car is flawless it has 69k and I bought pd upgrade just didn't have it installed yet as my tranny, half shafts, and drive shaft will be only stock items left.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Well the turbos I'm coming from where around the size of gc lites maybe a little bigger and I can't tell the difference in power delivery as the gc 2.0 make more power everywhere even though the spool might be 2 to 300 rpm slower.

On our 98 equivalent of your 93 these are nice and responsive and power delivery is almost instant.

There is only one gripe I have and nothing to do with the turbos is the stupid RHD and the lack of room to install the silicone outlets, took us around 5hrs and lots and lots of mods to install these properly without using any cable ties.

Time will tell if done right otherwise I'm going to have to design and make a set of alloy ones as none exist atm for these.

LazyK

Lurker
May 6, 2018
Ride
2011 Space Grey 335is Dct
Can’t wait to install my GC’s 2.0’s this week on my 335is DCT ...it’s fbo as well “ inlets and outlets for the GC’s , stage 3 fuel pump , 7” intercooler and will be running port injection ( stock motor , stock clutches in dct ‍♂️ )

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The sweet Induction noise these turbo make, cant wait to finish the tune on these.

Just taking my time at heat cycling the turbos before we really turn these babies up.

You can really tell these turbos move a lot of air, the blow off valve is roughly 2 to 3 times louder than before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Y_lae1

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Just to show how quickly these crazy turbos spool

https://datazap.me/u/martymil/log-1534140493?log=0&data=3-15-22-25&solo=25

Screenshot_20180813-161122.jpg