335is Build - Rebuilding a neglected 335is

automech

Lurker
Dec 6, 2016
a florida certificate of destruction is serious. the car cannot be registered and driven on the road. only be used for parts from my understanding

automech

Lurker
Dec 6, 2016
that link is how to apply for a salvage title OR a destruction title. once a car gets a florida destruction title, the only way you can register it is title washing through Kentucky. title washing is illegal anyway.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
that link is how to apply for a salvage title OR a destruction title. once a car gets a florida destruction title, the only way you can register it is title washing through Kentucky. title washing is illegal anyway.

Nice catch! Totally not in the "know" on things like that. Maybe I'll call him up and offer him $5k for the car :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: automech

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
So I had started getting a bit of wheel hop in 3rd lately. More power, worn tires, cooler roads...whatever...it was just starting to become an issue. General consensus is a Diff Lockdown will resolve this issue and it just so happened that I stumbled across @stveclrk and his effort to make these. I'm always trying to support new up and coming entrepreneurs and this was an opportunity for me to do that.

I reached out to Steve and he had not test fit these on a DCT, so I offered up myself to be the guinea pig. A couple days later a package arrived in my mailbox:

full?d=1511202261.jpg

Like everyone else out there I like snazzy Apple inspired packaging. It's cool, shows attention to detail, polish, and finish. But lets face it, you pay for that. There's no real reason for it, and as a consumer I'd rather save the money. Steve nailed it here. Well packaged, efficiently, and most importantly not wasteful.

Unwrapping the bubble wrap we get a very straight forward bracket kit:

full?d=1511202261.jpg

full?d=1511202261.jpg

full?d=1511202261.jpg

Hard to mess up a bracket like this from a fit and finish standpoint. And again, I appreciate the function coming before the form here. No unnecessary steps taken for spit and polish on a part that is just a piece of bracketry that will be under the car and never seen. The only thing was the paint was a bit "soft" but Steve said he has already corrected that for the next batch.

The captured nut bracket was awesome, made install a 10min affair.

Time to put the rear of the car on jackstands:

full?d=1511201909.jpg

Man it's clean under there!!!! Hahaha. Sliding under I just held the bracket up and checked the alignment before I did anything else.

full?d=1511202034.jpg

Looks G2G! Time to drop in the captured nut bracket into the subframe:

full?d=1511202034.jpg

Double Check the alignment again (evidently I have shaky hands or something). But you can see the captured nuts in real life when your eyeballs aren't vibrating and your vision isn't as blurry as a Michael J Fox picture:

full?d=1511202034.jpg

full?d=1511202034.jpg

Looks like it's time for the 16mm socket on a 1/2" drive:

full?d=1511202034.jpg

And wha-la! 10min after I started I had it installed. That simple really!

full?d=1511201835.jpg

I am working with V8bait on tuning the car and needed to do some more logs for him so I went out and did another pull on the same road where I was getting some wheel hop before. Smooth as butter this time. No additional NVH, nothing to expose that this mod has been done. Wheel hop gone. Seems like an easy, low cost mod anyone should do who is experiencing hop.

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Since getting my LSD on, my wheel hop actually got pretty bad, in all gears. About a week later I installed a lockdown kit, and it didn't seem to help much. I'm wondering if the bracket is worth it for my car, or if I need to suck it up and wait for proper suspension mods.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Well, V8Bait is moving my car over to e85, and as such we needed to make sure we didn't cause any LPFP issues. So I needed to get a new LPFP to handle e85. I was keeping an eye on the Fuel-It bucketless but I didn't like the bracket that much. The Stage 2 bracket was fine, but when you go to Stage 3 and do dual bucketless it gets complex and fiddly where you have to assemble it inside the tank. Not cool.

So I found @BlackMarketParts and their bucketless. It had a much better design for Stage 3. So this appeared on my doorstep:

full?lightbox=1&last_edit_date=1511204251.jpg

Nice clean packaging, branded but not wasting money trying to emulate Apple or something. Again, the money goes to the product and the consumer saves in the long run.

full?d=1511204251.jpg

Look at that, no waste, nothing unnecessary at all.

BMP also offers the option of either the Precision Race Works or the Fuel-It lock ring tool. I chose the PRW tool :)

full?d=1511204251.jpg

The pump bracket itself is extremely well thought out. No cotter pins holding the fuel level sender on, real screws here. Also, the pump outlet fitting is very nice and made install easier:

full?d=1511204251.jpg

full?d=1511204251.jpg

Install itself is just like any bucketless...you can look up videos all over the place covering the install. I did and it made the actual event a non-event. Took about 20min to install it.

Before on 93o and 20psi of boost my LPFP would dip into the mid 40's during a pull. Now my pressure stays rock solid at 75psi even on e85. Not even stressing the pump a lil'bit.

Reactions: doublespaces

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Since getting my LSD on, my wheel hop actually got pretty bad, in all gears. About a week later I installed a lockdown kit, and it didn't seem to help much. I'm wondering if the bracket is worth it for my car, or if I need to suck it up and wait for proper suspension mods.

What do your bushings look like? If the hop was bad enough before you installed your kit to tear bushings then you might be needing to replace those.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Just put in another order. My last major repair from the body/paint issues that linger on the car is my rear bumper. Went ahead and ordered a new bumper and a carbon fiber diffuser. I decided to give pre-painted parts a try. I've never done this and wanted to see how good the paint is and how well it matches when only using a paint code. Besides, the paint on this car is flawless, no fading. The big deal with Black Sapphire Metallic is matching the amount of flake. We will see how it goes and I'll post up a review as soon as I get the new rear bumper.

Finally no damage/defect/eyesores left!!! Next up....new turbos and fueling to match! Gonna need to wait till after Christmas on that. The wife needs some gifts/attention first before I go off spending that kind of money on myself.

BMP-PrecisionRaceworks

Private
Platinum Vendor
Jun 19, 2017
Texas
www.bm-parts.com
So glad you like the pump and design!! Unfortunately we do not offer the Fuel-It! Lockring tool anymore.

Well, V8Bait is moving my car over to e85, and as such we needed to make sure we didn't cause any LPFP issues. So I needed to get a new LPFP to handle e85. I was keeping an eye on the Fuel-It bucketless but I didn't like the bracket that much. The Stage 2 bracket was fine, but when you go to Stage 3 and do dual bucketless it gets complex and fiddly where you have to assemble it inside the tank. Not cool.

So I found @BlackMarketParts and their bucketless. It had a much better design for Stage 3. So this appeared on my doorstep:

Nice clean packaging, branded but not wasting money trying to emulate Apple or something. Again, the money goes to the product and the consumer saves in the long run.

full?d=1511204251.jpg

Look at that, no waste, nothing unnecessary at all.

BMP also offers the option of either the Precision Race Works or the Fuel-It lock ring tool. I chose the PRW tool :)

full?d=1511204251.jpg

The pump bracket itself is extremely well thought out. No cotter pins holding the fuel level sender on, real screws here. Also, the pump outlet fitting is very nice and made install easier:

full?d=1511204251.jpg

full?d=1511204251.jpg

Install itself is just like any bucketless...you can look up videos all over the place covering the install. I did and it made the actual event a non-event. Took about 20min to install it.

Before on 93o and 20psi of boost my LPFP would dip into the mid 40's during a pull. Now my pressure stays rock solid at 75psi even on e85. Not even stressing the pump a lil'bit.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Justin is getting close to 500ft/lb on this e85 tune already. HP is a more modest 410hp but we have a lot left on the top end, it's a pretty conservative tune up top as far as boost is concerned. I'm thinking there's another 3-4psi up top which should be good for about 25hp.

We are at the limit of the HPFP though at peak torque, and although I have a NIB HPFP of the newest design in my garage, I am just going to wait till I get my VTT Shotgun in before I do anything with the HPFP. I'll post some logs and graphs when v8bait is done.

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Justin has mine at 512wtq, but that was before the PR coils and aluminum outlets, so I'm likely a bit higher now. My HPFP, which is new, struggles a bit between 2,000-3,500, but picks up good north of that. And although it's struggling down low, it still keeps pressure plenty high, just not with as much head room as OEM.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Justin has mine at 512wtq, but that was before the PR coils and aluminum outlets, so I'm likely a bit higher now. My HPFP, which is new, struggles a bit between 2,000-3,500, but picks up good north of that. And although it's struggling down low, it still keeps pressure plenty high, just not with as much head room as OEM.

HPFP fix is ordered thanks to Vargas' Black Friday deal. Got the Single Barrel HPFP kit inbound to remedy the low rail pressures at peak torque.

Reactions: doublespaces

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Ignition fix/improvement on the way. Thanks to @BlackMarketParts and their participation in the SpoolStreet giveaway I'll be adding a set of Precision Raceworks coils to the 335is before I upgrade my turbos.

So I have a new rear M-Tech bumper with carbon fiber diffuser coming, and the VTT Shotgun for fuel, and the PR coils for ignition. Should be ready for a turbo upgrade in January!!

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
The iS loves the PR coils here!

I've been running a 0.025" (0.021" previously) gap with custom dwell table settings on mine. Justin also enabled multi-spark for me during the warmup cycle to help winter cold starts on full E85. This morning at 37F and a tank full of straight E85 I had no issues at all.

New updates coming soon; the new rear bumper should be here any day now and I have a ton more fuel upgrades inbound in prep for my inevitable turbo upgrade and MHD Flex Fuel. I'm planning out my cooling system upgrades to be done at the same time since you have to drain the coolant and modify the heater return line for the VTT Single/Double barrel shotgun kit(s) (which is what I'm using). Since I'll be messing around with that coolant return line I might as well knock both the fuel system upgrade and cooling system upgrades out at once. I'll be dumping the PPK cooler, and the DCT heat exchanger for an upgraded MT Radiator and segregated transmission cooler. I'll also be switching to the 335d coolant tank too in prep for hot side intakes (either via single turbo or twins...not decided yet). This will VASTLY simplify my cooling system eliminating a lot of those fragile factory plastic connections that love to crack.

Better fuel, better cooling, simpler setup. Nothing that adds power, but a ton of reliability work along with foundational mods for the upcoming turbo setup.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Oh yea...and I'll be taking a unique approach on the Oil and Transmission coolers. In prep for wider front tires I'll be using special curved coolers that make extra space available in the wheel wells. Eventually I'll be trying for 265's up front with 295's out back...I'm sitting on 245/275 right now. Think curved motorcycle radiators and you'll be close to picturing the direction I'm taking:

12797797_1711717992407791_206135409_n.jpg

Just an example. The coolers I'll actually be using are specifically designed for engine oil and transmission fluid however.

• Informative
Reactions: Omar@VaderSolutions

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
So, are you going to be making custom fender liners to take advantage of this? Also, since you have to make a new bracket, wouldn't it have been just as easy to scoot the cooler forward a bit since it won't fit your ducts anymore?