335is Build - Rebuilding a neglected 335is

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
I wish I had known you were changing diffs. Would've traded you my 3.08 for your 2.56.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Well, first startup with the 6266 just happened yesterday! I have 1 small issue to correct, I need to build a new low pressure power steering line. A word to the wise:

An upgraded charge pipe eats up more room above the A/C compressor. The 335is has the aux radiator with lines that eat up space above the A/C compressor. A VTT shotgun causes the PS lines to eat up space above the A/C compressor. And a single top mount kit relocates the radiator overflow where the outlet of the overflow tank is...you guessed it, right above the A/C compressor.

If I didn't have any one of those things it would be a tight fit (i.e. if this was not a 335is with the extra radiator). But with ALL those things, it isn't a wise way to route lines.

I've got the 335d overflow tank inbound as we speak to alleviate some of the problem, and I'll upgrade to a oversized aluminum one piece radiator (mishimoto maybe) next month and eliminate that stupid aux radiator. With those two changes there will be plenty of space for lines above the A/C compressor.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Was wondering where this was up to
There’s a discussion on the forum about aftermarket radiators right now. Seems that the csf might be better and cheaper. Nothing could be worse than stock plastic part though....

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Well, a few things. My wife has been unemployed since March, so money for toys isn't in the budget right now. And I jacked up my PTE 6266 through ignorant curiosity. So my turbo is at PTE right now being worked on (rebuild).

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Out of curiosity what does a rebuild cost? Also, in for what you did. Did you suck in a shop towel or something? Sorry for your setback, that must be annoying.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I removed the ball bearing locator pin. I thought it was just an oil restrictor to lower the oil flow/pressure for the ball bearings. Turns out it's a dual purpose device, once part is to locate the ball bearings in the cage correctly, one part is oil restriction.

When I put it back in the bearings weren't in the correct spot. I spooled up 20psi and got all giggly like a school girl and then I heard the most god awful sound you have ever heard from the turbo. The shaft wasn't supported properly so the compressor blade hit the compressor housing and ate the compressor blade.

Most likely I'll need a new bearing assembly and compressor wheel, probably in the neighborhood of $6-800. If the shaft is borked it'll be more expensive. But this is race season and PTE is SLAMMED so my turbo has been sitting there waiting for them to look at it for a month now. I don't expect it back before October.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Is the locator pin attached to that hex fitting directly screwed into the CHRA? I've never heard of such a thing. Either way that blows

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I removed the ball bearing locator pin. I thought it was just an oil restrictor to lower the oil flow/pressure for the ball bearings. Turns out it's a dual purpose device, once part is to locate the ball bearings in the cage correctly, one part is oil restriction.

When I put it back in the bearings weren't in the correct spot. I spooled up 20psi and got all giggly like a school girl and then I heard the most god awful sound you have ever heard from the turbo. The shaft wasn't supported properly so the compressor blade hit the compressor housing and ate the compressor blade.

Most likely I'll need a new bearing assembly and compressor wheel, probably in the neighborhood of $6-800. If the shaft is borked it'll be more expensive. But this is race season and PTE is SLAMMED so my turbo has been sitting there waiting for them to look at it for a month now. I don't expect it back before October.

Can you please post a picture of exactly what you are talking about? I have the same question as veer90.

Thanks in advance.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT

That's a crappy design tbh at least they should paint it a different color and reference it in their installation manual lol. Include a sentence like "Warning - do not remove (color) fitting from CHRA"

How much of a restriction did it neck down to? Any pictures of the actual inside of the pin?

• Agree
Reactions: Hydra Performance

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
That's a crappy design tbh at least they should paint it a different color and reference it in their installation manual lol. Include a sentence like "Warning - do not remove (color) fitting from CHRA"

How much of a restriction did it neck down to? Any pictures of the actual inside of the pin?

It was a teeny tiny oil orifice. Like on the magnitude of .001" or so. .01mm...I don't know...tiny as fuck.

The pin itself looks just like the one in the video.

Things like this is why I was able to do the M3 drivetrain conversion. I like to take risks and jump in head first at times. This is the consequences of doing shit that you don't fully understand.

Reactions: veer90

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
It was a teeny tiny oil orifice. Like on the magnitude of .001" or so. .01mm...I don't know...tiny as fuck.

The pin itself looks just like the one in the video.

Things like this is why I was able to do the M3 drivetrain conversion. I like to take risks and jump in head first at times. This is the consequences of doing shit that you don't fully understand.

That's interesting. Then I have a 0.035" inline restrictor on top of a restrictor. Turbo seems fine though.

I installed it because it was burning oil at high rpm and I didn't know they already came with a restrictor. That's the other thing about PTE I don't like, documentation is either non existent or crappy. lol