335iS Engine Mount Sudden Price Reduction $240...WTF?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Why can't we get someone to make a modified stock mount? Is it really that hard to replicate a similar durometer material? I think I recall seeing someone weld plates the the bottom of the ones that always failed, looked like a pretty good solution.

Reactions: Panzerfaust

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
No, this is the 335is mount. They are solid rubber not fluid filled like the 335i regular ones.
My mistake, I thought they were still fluid filled - didnt realize they're solid rubber. Is it not the same mount the 1M and z4 35is use though? Because as noted by @fmorelli it still compresses after enough use like the regular fluid filled mounts, and I think the whole <10 durometer stiffer thing is still a pricey purchase even so.

I just think bang for buck you're still better off with staying OEM for ~60/mount or switching to an aftermarket design if needing a stiffer mount. For what would be $600+ to run both as iS mounts/solid rubber mounts theres just better options out there from a performance standpoint imo. I guess you could run one iS mount and the passenger side 034 mount since I believe they've been redesigned if you wanted a cheaper all-rubber solution, but then you still risk our hot ass engines slowly compressing the rubber mounts the same as factory.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Ben Liaw @ Rogue Engineering is the only guy I know that has gone to the effort to create better rubber mounts for BMW drivetrains. Everyone else does them in poly - far cheaper to produce, mostly because of construction cost. His trans mount for example: https://www.rogueengineering.com/Rogue-Engineering-Transmission-Mounts_p_137.html

I've known Ben for ... cough cough ... 20+ years, and his products are home runs. I'll drop him a line and see if I might not be able to get him to join up here, or maybe give us some feedback.

Filippo

Last edited:

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
Ben Liaw @ Rogue Engineering is the only guy I know that has gone to the effort to create better rubber mounts for BMW drivetrains. Everyone else does them in poly - far cheaper to produce, mostly because of construction cost. His trans mount for example: https://www.rogueengineering.com/Rogue-Engineering-Transmission-Mounts_p_137.html

I've known Ben for ... cough cough ... 20+ years, and his products are home runs. I'll drop him a line and see if I might not be able to get him to join up here, or maybe give us some feedback.

Filippo
Ben is a cool guy,I use his trans mount also,was just there few weeks ago doing some inhouse work and chit chatting with him.he moved into bigger space across the way from his previous shop.he has the coolest Samoyed dog.

nikitino25

Sep 5, 2018
Ride
'07 335i
I might have to pick one up at that price.......so to be clear, the upgraded 335is mount is for the right (passenger side) correct? And then you can just use the regular 335i mount for the left (driver side) which is only $93.20 on the same site? And so the 335is driver side mount is the same thing as the regular 335i mount? I was wondering because of the old power steering pulley hitting the subframe problem on early cars like mine. It seems like to prevent this from happening, you would want the stronger mount on the driver side where the ps pulley is if I'm not mistaken?
Also, I know some single turbo kits come with an upgraded engine mount, If I upgrade to hybrid twins, will the 335i/335is mounts be sufficient?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I might have to pick one up at that price.......so to be clear, the upgraded 335is mount is for the right (passenger side) correct? And then you can just use the regular 335i mount for the left (driver side) which is only $93.20 on the same site? And so the 335is driver side mount is the same thing as the regular 335i mount? I was wondering because of the old power steering pulley hitting the subframe problem on early cars like mine. It seems like to prevent this from happening, you would want the stronger mount on the driver side where the ps pulley is if I'm not mistaken?
Also, I know some single turbo kits come with an upgraded engine mount, If I upgrade to hybrid twins, will the 335i/335is mounts be sufficient?

Jason of Propulsive Dynamics upgraded his passenger side mount to 335iS for his single turbo car.

Yes, the driver side is the normal 335i mount. Only the passenger side is reinforced. I replaced my driver side with a new OE BMW driver side mount and filled it with NASCAR 3M polymer to stiffen it up a little. Works like a charm...got the idea from YouTube channel Vehicular DIY.

• Agree
Reactions: Jeffman

rayrobot

Lurker
Jul 31, 2019
Ride
335xi
Jason of Propulsive Dynamics upgraded his passenger side mount to 335iS for his single turbo car.

Yes, the driver side is the normal 335i mount. Only the passenger side is reinforced. I replaced my driver side with a new OE BMW driver side mount and filled it with NASCAR 3M polymer to stiffen it up a little. Works like a charm...got the idea from YouTube channel Vehicular DIY.

I have two of the passenger side 335is mounts on my 08 335xi. Using the right side mounts on both the left and right side on my engine. No complaints.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Does anyone know if the passenger side and drivers side mounts have different stiffness grades on the non-is 35i?
Some places have different part numbers and prices. Some say just use one part for both. I believe the passenger is supposed to be firmer.

g00b86

Lurker
Nov 11, 2016
NJ

On that same note, Vehicular DIY uses dual drivers side mounts, filling the one side with 3M window weld. Aside from adding the WW does anyone have any reason to believe running dual drivers mounts (cheapest) would result in either premature failure or just not fitting at all?

g00b86

Lurker
Nov 11, 2016
NJ
Understood, thanks. I know there is a heat shield on the OEM part he transfers over. Not sure if that helps in any way if the underlying assumption is the chemical composition and durometer of both sides are equal (not including the -IS mount). Not trying to cheap out here considering the IS mount and the OEM cortec branded one from FCP are very similar in price ATM.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Just heat shield but if not going is you can get OEM proper kit for 70 bucks so why bother I believe 240 is 335is and 744 is reg passenger. But their is no savings in going ruth two driver side or maybe 5 or 10 dollars

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Understood, thanks. I know there is a heat shield on the OEM part he transfers over. Not sure if that helps in any way if the underlying assumption is the chemical composition and durometer of both sides are equal (not including the -IS mount). Not trying to cheap out here considering the IS mount and the OEM cortec branded one from FCP are very similar in price ATM.

That is as you say, only and 'assumption'. I imagine the stock 335i passenger's higher price is due to more than just a little flap of grey plastic. The Vehicular DIY guy that bought the cheap driver side mounts had them fail VERY quick...like weeks after install so he had to buy replacements and fill them with 3M polymer to reinforce them. In contrast, normal passenger mounts for the 335i are good for years and years... just think about that before attempting to buy the cheapest thing thinking that it's the same thing as the driver side. There is a reason why the passenger side is more expensive...and I am talking about the normal 335i passenger side mounts, NOT the iS mounts.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93

22116773744. right side
22116760330. left side

g00b86

Lurker
Nov 11, 2016
NJ
That is as you say, only and 'assumption'. I imagine the stock 335i passenger's higher price is due to more than just a little flap of grey plastic. The Vehicular DIY guy that bought the cheap driver side mounts had them fail VERY quick...like weeks after install so he had to buy replacements and fill them with 3M polymer to reinforce them. In contrast, normal passenger mounts for the 335i are good for years and years... just think about that before attempting to buy the cheapest thing thinking that it's the same thing as the driver side. There is a reason why the passenger side is more expensive...and I am talking about the normal 335i passenger side mounts, NOT the iS mounts.

Fair point and most likely what I am doing is just buying the Corteco set from FCP with the new hardware for about $150 ($100 for passenger $40 for driver $15 for hardware.

I have an extremely high mile vehicle that I was tracking down the source of a broken aluminum bellhousing bolt (found in driveway) which lead me to inspection of my motor mounts. They are undeniably the originals so its not surprising it failed. What I am concerned to find is if it is possible that a collapsed mount would result in a broken bolt after enough abuse and heat cycles. Guess I will be doing the mounts AND the oil pan gasket while the subframe is dropped.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Fair point and most likely what I am doing is just buying the Corteco set from FCP with the new hardware for about $150 ($100 for passenger $40 for driver $15 for hardware.

I have an extremely high mile vehicle that I was tracking down the source of a broken aluminum bellhousing bolt (found in driveway) which lead me to inspection of my motor mounts. They are undeniably the originals so its not surprising it failed. What I am concerned to find is if it is possible that a collapsed mount would result in a broken bolt after enough abuse and heat cycles. Guess I will be doing the mounts AND the oil pan gasket while the subframe is dropped.

You have bellhousing bolt broke off? Here are possible causes in my opinion.

1. too much power and not enough foundational mods like structural reinforcments... the sheering force of the engine to the trans connection will break bolts...
2. add more stress to that equation if the engine mounts are shot...then you literally are doing like if you took a soda can tab and bending it until it broke.