335ix transfer case questions

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
Hey guys, quick question here, at least I hope.

2011 335ix, N55, autotragic. I'm in the midst of a motor swap because the old one chucked a rod. Old motor out, new motor is in, time to reconnect shit.

I went to reinstall the front main driveshaft between the transfer case and differential. I found that the transfer case outlet, and thus everything else, spins freely. Whether the trans is in park or drive or reverse, the outlet spins freely, completely independent of the trans or rear driveshaft.

Is this normal? Is it supposed to spin freely?

I feel like it isn't. Now both the transfer case and front diff lost a good amount of fluid, and I haven't refilled them yet, but I don't think that'd be a problem yet.

Thanks all!

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
Yup thats totally normal. Had my xi off the ground today changing trans and diff fluids and the front ds and wheels moved freely. I dont recall if the rewr moved, but i think it didnt.

Reactions: Aaron

Aaron

Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2016
Colorado
Ride
Silver 2013 335is 6MT
/thread

Thank you so much, had me really fucking concerned lol. Ordered a quart of transfer case fluid from ECS, I guess it's a good time to change that anyway (86,000 mi).

Reactions: Cheezy

Cheezy

Lieutenant
Nov 7, 2016
Toledo Ohio
/thread

Thank you so much, had me really fucking concerned lol. Ordered a quart of transfer case fluid from ECS, I guess it's a good time to change that anyway (86,000 mi).
I havent changed that but iirc you may have to reset the transfer case after you change the fluid. I think it can be done through carly or inpa. Thats probably the reason i didnt do it this time around haha. Good luck, merry christmas