335xi (awd) front control arm bushings

Bavkingn54

Lurker
Sep 13, 2018
Mass-RI
Ride
09 bmw 335i xdrive
Does anyone know of any good urethane front control arm bushing upgrades for the xi? I remember the difference when using the m3 control arms on my old red 335i and turn in and steering response was crisp.

nsjames

Private
Jun 3, 2017
Ride
328 XI Touring
there's a company in the UK that makes two durometer poly options. Strongflex is the name.

I'm currently exploring options for a split shell rubber bushing.
FCP sells this tool.

but nobody knows what it does or how it works. I bought it with regular lemforder OE bushings, and in trying to figure out instructions for the wierd band clamp thing came acorss this:

CTA sent me that. It must be who makes it for them.

this is a screengrab from 90 seconds in

RYJlR8b.png

I've gotten with FCP and they're going to try and track down that split shell solid rubber bushing.
this may be a similar to M3 kind of upgrade for the AWD cars.

Reactions: Jeffman

nsjames

Private
Jun 3, 2017
Ride
328 XI Touring
the leading guess is that's an M3 bushing.
but I found someone with an e84 XI that says you have to take off about 5mm each side for the M3 bushing to fit in the XI control arm pocket.

I'm trying to get atual dimensions. Figure out what bushing that is and bam, we all get rid of this junk ass hydrobearing and go to rubber.

The Banshee

Corporal
Nov 18, 2017
Lehigh Valley PA
Ride
2008 335xi coupe 6466 MT
I am a believer that upgrading the front control arm bushing is critical in a high power XI.

I use Strong Flex bushings which have been great. My shop used a press to remove and install using the Strong Flex supplied grease. Not too much noise. I am not a big fan of poly but these bushings are pretty solid.

426DAFE3-2662-44BF-A0E2-AFF9942DA629.jpeg

I think the new Turner XI front control arm Monoball is the way to go but they are expensive.

Reactions: Jeffman

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I am a believer that upgrading the front control arm bushing is critical in a high power XI.

I use Strong Flex bushings which have been great. My shop used a press to remove and install using the Strong Flex supplied grease. Not too much noise. I am not a big fan of poly but these bushings are pretty solid.

View attachment 28002

I think the new Turner XI front control arm Monoball is the way to go but they are expensive.

Nice! I’ve been searching and waiting for upgraded xi suspension parts such as these. Has anyone tried them yet? I even explored getting my own 12 ton hydraulic press and doing what you did...I’m about to do my tie rods (left one is twisty in my hands and I’m starting to see some uneven wear in the left front tire), so it might be timely to install these monoball front control arms at the same time and then get an alignment.

Last edited:

nsjames

Private
Jun 3, 2017
Ride
328 XI Touring
my junk is lowly n52 powered trash daily driver wagon

so I'd rather the solid rubber M3 bushings than poly.

I've got all the parts here, but I was using a borrowed tractor and I'm pretty sure I smoked the clutch, so I'm currently splitting a tractor in the garage.
Imade some measurements and the M3 bushing will fit with some minor mods. It's going to kick the arm out 1 and some change mm. I'm not sure it's enough to matter. We'll find out.
I'll get back to it once I have this tractor fixed. which is probably gonna be two weeks since I expect to order parts. hopefully they don't have to come from overseas or this thing will sit in my garage for a month taken apart.