6HP Custom Tuning

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
OK so I've lowered the DME rev limiter to 5000 and it does hold gears in M so there is an RPM threshold in the TCU at play rather than just a flag. Boy there are a LOT of things it could be amongst the hundreds of maps.

So its a matter of trial and error at this point? I suppose you could systematically attack this by rounding up all the tables and making changes to 1/2 of them and trying to narrow down which ones make noticeable differences, assuming that wouldn't booger up other things. I'd like to think you could reduce it to a dozen flashes in stead of hundreds.

Reactions: Rob09msport

bradsm87

Corporal
Dec 15, 2016
So its a matter of trial and error at this point? I suppose you could systematically attack this by rounding up all the tables and making changes to 1/2 of them and trying to narrow down which ones make noticeable differences, assuming that wouldn't booger up other things. I'd like to think you could reduce it to a dozen flashes in stead of hundreds.

The problem with that approach is that there's no way of knowing tables are 100% what you think they are without disassembly etc which goes waay beyond what I can do. It's potentially very dangerous. It could only take changing one thing wrong and it could make it do something that would damage the transmission or engine.

bradsm87

Corporal
Dec 15, 2016
I'm taking a break from solving the automatic upshifts and spending a bit of time tweaking the shifts in all modes. Once I get that sorted, I'll go back to further upshift blocking attempts.

all4bspinnin

Corporal
Jun 12, 2017
Ride
135i TT
I'm taking a break from solving the automatic upshifts and spending a bit of time tweaking the shifts in all modes. Once I get that sorted, I'll go back to further upshift blocking attempts.

brad lets talk post shift...

bradsm87

Corporal
Dec 15, 2016

I've now maxed my HPFP so once I taper my boost enough to be safe, I'll have a go at that. My post-shift timing drops have got especially bad in the hot weather here in Australia.

This is what we want to change. That's a log of torque actual. We want it to look like the red lines.

Attachments

• Torque Re-introduction.PNG
    Torque Re-introduction.PNG
    38.8 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:

bradsm87

Corporal
Dec 15, 2016

I spend another 3 hours going through the VAG 6HP and the E60 6HP OLS projects and comparing to our BINs and the locations already tested that didn't work are 100% the right locations for the ramp at end of torque reduction. They just don't work as expected.

There are heaps of other possible tables that would change this behavior but I probably wouldn't have any transmission left at the end if I tested them all! Not really sure where to go from here.

Edit: I've found "Faktor fuer Ruecknamerampe bei Momentenerhoehung which translates to "factor for return ramp at torque increase" for each upshift so I'll give that a test tomorrow.

Last edited:

bradsm87

Corporal
Dec 15, 2016

Devastatingly, I left my xhp tablet at work today! I'll have to try again tomorrow. There are some new tables that I'm ready to try.

Hopefully slowing the re-introduction of torque will be enough to significantly lower the severity of post-shift knock. I suspect there will still be some there because the roasted exhaust valves from the negative timing would certainly bring the knock threshold closer.

bradsm87

Corporal
Dec 15, 2016
Well I changed the values in the recently discovered tables and no noticeable change AGAIN.

So the folder of tables is titled "Schaltablauf Motoreingriff 1 -> 2" (and 2 -> 3 etc.) which translates to "Switching sequence engine intervention 1 -> 2". Every table to do with "Motoreingriff" definitely is to do with requesting torque reduction from the engine.

I changed the following tables:

Dauer Rampe ME bei Schaltungsende
Duration Ramp ME (engine intervention) at the end of the circuit
From 90ms to 180ms

AND

Faktor fuer Ruecknamerampe bei Momentenerhoehung
Factor for return ramp at torque increase
From 0% at all torque levels above 80nm to 100% at all torque levels above 80nm

It's like the above tables are just a starting point but the transmission still ramps up torque as hard as possible if it doesn't detect slip.

We might need to limit the torque increase rate after a shift on the DME side after all. It might come with its own side effects because on the DME side is just a single cell item that applies to all revs and loads.

• Sad
Reactions: doublespaces

all4bspinnin

Corporal
Jun 12, 2017
Ride
135i TT
We might need to limit the torque increase rate after a shift on the DME side after all. It might come with its own side effects because on the DME side is just a single cell item that applies to all revs and loads.

It sounds like that's the case. After my research lately I believe it may be a DME caused issue. Afterall, I believe its ramping in ignition timing that's causing it.

Brad, another question have you ever tried lowering the D factor multiplier in a way to slow the boost response post shift?

bradsm87

Corporal
Dec 15, 2016
It sounds like that's the case. After my research lately I believe it may be a DME caused issue. Afterall, I believe its ramping in ignition timing that's causing it.

Brad, another question have you ever tried lowering the D factor multiplier in a way to slow the boost response post shift?

Either DME or TCU could change it because torque reduction = timing reduction.

My boost never drops or significantly spikes during a shift so not a boost issue for me.

I'm growingly concerned that possibly the biggest contributor to post-shift knock is the heat from the negative timing. There is one switch in the DME which looks like it could turn on torque reduction via cylinder shut-off rather than ignition reduction but I'm not hopeful because there don't seem to be any tables relating to it.

I've got a fuel delivery issue now so gotta fix that first.

all4bspinnin

Corporal
Jun 12, 2017
Ride
135i TT
Either DME or TCU could change it because torque reduction = timing reduction.

My boost never drops or significantly spikes during a shift so not a boost issue for me.

I'm growingly concerned that possibly the biggest contributor to post-shift knock is the heat from the negative timing. There is one switch in the DME which looks like it could turn on torque reduction via cylinder shut-off rather than ignition reduction but I'm not hopeful because there don't seem to be any tables relating to it.

I've got a fuel delivery issue now so gotta fix that first.

Have you tried lengthening the max duration torque reduction during shift? say 2.15 for example?

bradsm87

Corporal
Dec 15, 2016
Have you tried lengthening the max duration torque reduction during shift? say 2.15 for example?

That one's a limit that's already not hit. It's 2 seconds but the worst of shifts are over in 0.4 seconds.

If I can get the IKM0S OLS and load a factory 1M calibration into it, that will give me a huge amount of production values that'll make it much easier to find the same tables in IJE0S. I'm working on a trade to get this at the moment.

all4bspinnin

Corporal
Jun 12, 2017
Ride
135i TT
If I can get the IKM0S OLS and load a factory 1M calibration into it, that will give me a huge amount of production values that'll make it much easier to find the same tables in IJE0S. I'm working on a trade to get this at the moment.

Any updates brad? Any way I can help?

bradsm87

Corporal
Dec 15, 2016
Any updates brad? Any way I can help?

The deal didn't happen. Too much of a language barrier. He said yes he'll trade but wants my files first but then when I asked what guarantee can he give that I'll get his and no reply.

I've asked another person known to have it about options to possibly buy it also but I'm not really able to put money in at the moment and I'm not sure how much longer I'll have my car either.

What DME tune are you running? OTS, custom or self-tuned?

Robnitro

Sep 18, 2018
Ride
X5 35d e70
Hi,
Does anyone have any pointers on how to get the TCC lockup sooner? I have an x5 35d with 6hp26 and would like to do this because the tc seems too sloppy for a diesel haha

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Hi,
Does anyone have any pointers on how to get the TCC lockup sooner? I have an x5 35d with 6hp26 and would like to do this because the tc seems too sloppy for a diesel haha
Have you tried contacting xHP directly? They started their whole project with the 26/28 and that seems to be what they like playing with the most + they offer custom tunes.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Brad how much money do you need maybe I could help and hopefully others or what if we purchase custom tuning from you at a high price ?

Robnitro

Sep 18, 2018
Ride
X5 35d e70
Have you tried contacting xHP directly? They started their whole project with the 26/28 and that seems to be what they like playing with the most + they offer custom tunes.
I am writing my own custom tune which uses xhp to flash. Their custom tunes are fine and well but I prefer to be able to do my own thing and adjust as needed (like I did with the shift points)

Reactions: Jeffman

UCDHIUS

Nov 10, 2018
Ride
E90
That one's a limit that's already not hit. It's 2 seconds but the worst of shifts are over in 0.4 seconds.

Hey brad, I know the last XDF posted was from around last year.

But I wanted to ask is there by a newer 6HP XDF available for download, than the ones posted in this thread?

Thanks !