6HP28 Swap mated to N54

Optigrab

Corporal
Sep 19, 2018
Ride
08 135i
Awesome, thank you man. TBH I was worried this would be a bit of a challenge in every regard, but it sounds pretty straightforward honestly. I'm pretty confident the local shop I use for things I can't/won't/don't want to do could definitely accomplish the vast majority of this for me.
5. you need to figure out codding of CAS, unfortunately it seems without professional software/hardware like bmw explorer and KTAG its not possible to do, but i cant confirm 100% as i'm not professional on this area.

Is your shop able to do step 5?

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Is your shop able to do step 5?
Honestly? I haven't personally watched them program anything but would assume yes. The owner was a BMW head mechanic for 15 years before opening his shop and his assistant for 8 years before joining, and AFAIK all other employees have similar stories where they were at least mechanics/techs for BMW for 5+ years before joining him. I know for sure they have genuine BMW software and the legitimate hardware to run the software as well. I don't know everything they've done in the shop but I do know they've done several engine and transmission swaps on cars from this generation and back, and their N54 shop car build they converted from awd to RWD and might swap the AT for a DCT.

So whether one of them specifically can do it, or if they have close ties with someone who can do it I don't know. But worst case scenario is I can reach out to someone online to help out.

Reactions: Optigrab

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Honestly? I haven't personally watched them program anything but would assume yes. The owner was a BMW head mechanic for 15 years before opening his shop and his assistant for 8 years before joining, and AFAIK all other employees have similar stories where they were at least mechanics/techs for BMW for 5+ years before joining him. I know for sure they have genuine BMW software and the legitimate hardware to run the software as well. I don't know everything they've done in the shop but I do know they've done several engine and transmission swaps on cars from this generation and back, and their N54 shop car build they converted from awd to RWD and might swap the AT for a DCT.

So whether one of them specifically can do it, or if they have close ties with someone who can do it I don't know. But worst case scenario is I can reach out to someone online to help out.
That's awesome I have been doing everything recently cause i don't know of any shop like that in ct ,I can't even find place to do gc lites that didn't sound lost when I bring it up lol

Optigrab

Corporal
Sep 19, 2018
Ride
08 135i
That's awesome I have been doing everything recently cause i don't know of any shop like that in ct ,I can't even find place to do gc lites that didn't sound lost when I bring it up lol

Did you try Speedsport Tuning in Danbury?

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Yeah I'm pretty lucky, they only charge $90/hr labor and when I need OEM parts ordered last-minute they give me to them at cost. Really can't express how appreciative of them I am, especially considering their talent level.

Reactions: Jeffman

Optigrab

Corporal
Sep 19, 2018
Ride
08 135i
Yeah I'm pretty lucky, they only charge $90/hr labor and when I need OEM parts ordered last-minute they give me to them at cost. Really can't express how appreciative of them I am, especially considering their talent level.

Who is your shop?

Last edited:

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Who is your shop?
EP3 Motorsports in the Chicagoland area. Certainly not a giant name but as I've said here and in other threads the things I've seen them do is very impressive and they're gaining a bigger following in the Chicago area. I've seen them do everything from fully restore an 850i to rebuild a few S85s, to turn a beat up old E36 M3 into a dedicated track star and some of their current customers have everything from RB next gens to DOC Race kits. They're also doing a completely custom bottom mount N54 build with a local fabricator for their shop car.

Im_sadam

May 10, 2017
Ride
08 535i
I'm planning on doing this to my single turbo E60 over winter , I have a few questions :

1. What was the cost for the custom tune from Xhp and turn around time ?

2. You described it as lazy , can you provide a video or more details on what gear it feels lazy ?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
If someone does decide to do this, please buy the transmission I've been sitting on for over a year. $500+sh

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
If someone does decide to do this, please buy the transmission I've been sitting on for over a year. $500+sh
I thought you posted on FB that it was sold? If you still have it this winter then I'm almost certainly in. I've already spoken to my shop, they're running all the info by the fabricator and said they'll start sticking their tendrils out to see if we can source one so the gears are in motion for me already. Just a matter of getting some other things finished first.

Reactions: Optigrab

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I thought you posted on FB that it was sold? If you still have it this winter then I'm almost certainly in. I've already spoken to my shop, they're running all the info by the fabricator and said they'll start sticking their tendrils out to see if we can source one so the gears are in motion for me already. Just a matter of getting some other things finished first.

I've had two people fail to show me the money, I still have it.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I've had two people fail to show me the money, I still have it.
Was shipping the killing factor for them? Iirc you said it's low mileage, and 500 for transmission is peanuts, even outside the BMW world. If I hadn't of just dropped 4+k into my turbo setup and install that still needs proper fueling I'd buy it and store it in my garage, but I still need a metal intake manifold + supplemental fueling before worrying about the trans.

The actual fabricating and install is looking like it's gonna be a tax return project, but I'm hoping to have the trans here before then. I know that doesn't help you much but I'd rather buy from you than get one shipped from overseas which is one of the options we're considering, so hit me with a PM or FB message at least if you do sell it. Otherwise hopefully you can think of it like a dusty investment for another month or two :grin:

Optigrab

Corporal
Sep 19, 2018
Ride
08 135i
Was shipping the killing factor for them? Iirc you said it's low mileage, and 500 for transmission is peanuts, even outside the BMW world. If I hadn't of just dropped 4+k into my turbo setup and install that still needs proper fueling I'd buy it and store it in my garage, but I still need a metal intake manifold + supplemental fueling before worrying about the trans.

The actual fabricating and install is looking like it's gonna be a tax return project, but I'm hoping to have the trans here before then. I know that doesn't help you much but I'd rather buy from you than get one shipped from overseas which is one of the options we're considering, so hit me with a PM or FB message at least if you do sell it. Otherwise hopefully you can think of it like a dusty investment for another month or two :grin:

Its going to be interesting to see what this costs. You will definitely need a good welder

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Its going to be interesting to see what this costs. You will definitely need a good welder
Yeah I'm not sure on cost, considering I'd likely be the second or third person in the world to do it it's not like I could even ask for a super rough estimate, hence the tax-season model lol.

The welder/fabricator guy works for a large company as a welder and is even called upon by Nickey Performance (huge in the LSx and LTx scene) regularly and loves projects like this so I think he should be more than capable to weld on the bell housing. I've seen some of his work and its excellently done, and I'm having him do custom ADE style mounts for me to use the same rear drag shock setup for a fraction of the price so I'll be able to get a (much more simple, tbf) sample before going forward with the trans.

jmctuning

Lurker
Aug 8, 2018
Cyprus
jmctuning.com
Ride
e92 335i N54
I'm defiantly interested and want to have a go at the swap.
My concerns are
1) Cutting the bell housing. I've never done anything like this before. Where exactly do you chop it?
2) I'm running an M3 LSD DCT rear end with a FD of 3:15. Can I get away with it? (I have 305 rears for grip)

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I'm defiantly interested and want to have a go at the swap.
My concerns are
1) Cutting the bell housing. I've never done anything like this before. Where exactly do you chop it?
2) I'm running an M3 LSD DCT rear end with a FD of 3:15. Can I get away with it? (I have 305 rears for grip)
Regarding the bellhousing, it appears you just need to do enough so that all the bolt holes line up properly.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i

The problem was finding someone who wanted to send money.
That and it took me a while try and get things organized, shipping a transmission isn't exactly a cake walk.

BeeneBongGarage

Feb 25, 2019
Ride
E90 335i
So how’s this going? Kind of fallen off I see. Is the vehicle running & driving correctly yet & is their a nailed down process? I love this idea & if I have a guide to follow, I will be putting this in my e90. I love the idea of a stupid fast sedan.

taron

Mar 20, 2017
Ride
2008 335xi e92
hi,

car was running strong during last year. i put ton of stress on transmission to see how it holds.

right now i got syvecs and pulled the engine for reinforcement. i will also need to figure out torque converter option as im not very happy with diesel converter behavior.

i have invested in awd dyno stand recently and due to this things will not move fast.

regards

So how’s this going? Kind of fallen off I see. Is the vehicle running & driving correctly yet & is their a nailed down process? I love this idea & if I have a guide to follow, I will be putting this in my e90. I love the idea of a stupid fast

Reactions: doublespaces