700+ hp LSD options

Dc317

Lurker
Mar 31, 2019
Erie, PA
Ride
2008 135i ST 1m clone
I've lurked the forums for some time and finally pulled the trigger on making an account. I have a built e82 1M clone that's lacking lsd and strong enough axles to support the power it's making. Before winter hit (I live in the #1 snowiest city in the nation) the car put down 633whp on a mustang dyno, with about 8 more lbs of boost left. I'm looking to order a diff/axles this week before it starts getting nice out. I have a few different routes I'm considering but I'm unsure of the limitations. So, here's the situation

Primary use of the vehicle is street driving, roll racing, potentially some 1/4 digs at some point so I'm unsure of what ratio to go with for my LSD.

Option #1 M factory diff, with either m factory axles or Driveshaft shop axles. My main concern here are the limitations of the Mfactory diff and axles, as well as the factory Drive shaft.

Option #2 Ad-e Ford 8.8 IRS conversion, obviously going to hold all of the ponies. Just costs almost twice as much.

If anyone could shed some light on the ratio I should run as well as what other higher horsepower cars are running, that would be greatly appreciated!
IMG_1758.JPG

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Welcome to the board (officially)!

Is your car an automatic?

As far as your other requests, I think you've done some research already but this may just come down to budget. If you're looking for someone to tell you "NO DON'T GET XYZ" I doubt you'll hear anything like that, but if you're using hybrid turbos then some broken axles are likely in your future if you are doing digs.

Making this a GOOD drag car simply means a lot of changes will be necessary. Also worth pointing out the pinion of the oem style diff will break off in addition to the axles.

Brule

Sergeant
Feb 20, 2017
Ride
335i 2007 6spd manual
Put a m3 diff and axles in.

Putting a lsd in a 335i housing is all good until you try and launch with slicks on.
You will snap axles, then if you upgrade axles you will snap the joint between your drive shaft and diff.

As for ratio stay with your stock ratio or closest m3 option. If you start 1/4 or half mile racing a bit more dedicated you can get a more suited ratio then.

Dc317

Lurker
Mar 31, 2019
Erie, PA
Ride
2008 135i ST 1m clone
Ah I knew I left something out, it’s a manual. Running a big single turbo and most likely going to go the ad-e route since I’m well beyond any sort of budget at this point haha

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
Put a m3 diff and axles in.

Putting a lsd in a 335i housing is all good until you try and launch with slicks on.
You will snap axles, then if you upgrade axles you will snap the joint between your drive shaft and diff.

As for ratio stay with your stock ratio or closest m3 option. If you start 1/4 or half mile racing a bit more dedicated you can get a more suited ratio then.

Only if you are manual and not preloading the clutch

tisdrew

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
09 335i 6MT
My plan:
* Hoosier slicks
* DSS axles
* Weld manual diff
* Diff brace
* Solid diff bushings
* M3 rear tension rods
* Pray driveshaft doesn't break

Reactions: Vitan

Seaneezy

Corporal
Mar 12, 2018
Ride
e90 LCI 335i
I have a set of BNIB YCW/MFactory rear axles I can let go for cheap, never installed or unboxed.

As for the discussion, the wavetrac LSD with finned cover in my car has been running well for 20k miles+ with a single fluid change. Had to get a replacement unit at install as the first unit was shaving metal everywhere, I guess they are hit or miss. Have had no problem with this unit outside of some diff noise on steep hills. I was planning on installing the axles when I move to ST, but I'm not aiming for high enough power levels with ST to break the OEM axles. Transmission makes a lot of the difference. The absolute POS 6HP21 in our cars doesn't launch well enough to break a LSD or stock axles, even with 2 step. Post DCT swap there are a lot less options, M3 diff or 8.8 being the primary options. IMO swapping in a 8.8 rear end will take a lot of the BMW DNA out of the car, but if you are strictly for results it will be the best option.

Brule

Sergeant
Feb 20, 2017
Ride
335i 2007 6spd manual
I have a set of BNIB YCW/MFactory rear axles I can let go for cheap, never installed or unboxed.

As for the discussion, the wavetrac LSD with finned cover in my car has been running well for 20k miles+ with a single fluid change. Had to get a replacement unit at install as the first unit was shaving metal everywhere, I guess they are hit or miss. Have had no problem with this unit outside of some diff noise on steep hills. I was planning on installing the axles when I move to ST, but I'm not aiming for high enough power levels with ST to break the OEM axles. Transmission makes a lot of the difference. The absolute POS 6HP21 in our cars doesn't launch well enough to break a LSD or stock axles, even with 2 step. Post DCT swap there are a lot less options, M3 diff or 8.8 being the primary options. IMO swapping in a 8.8 rear end will take a lot of the BMW DNA out of the car, but if you are strictly for results it will be the best option.

Ive got an 8.8 diff and you cannot tell the difference between it and the stock housing with lsd. Its still got irs.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5

You still want get rid of the axles?

Gra335

May 16, 2023

Do you still have these axles?