ACF / VM Top Mount Review

Volrath

Private
Oct 8, 2017
Ride
E92 N54

Wanted to give everyone an honest review of ACF/VM turbo kit and additional install pics.

Ordering Kit:

So first and foremost, ordered the kit before Christmas and Anthony promised me 2-3 weeks so I expected by end of January. Well as most of you guys can expect, that didn't happen. Received nearly 5 weeks later than expected.

20180129_160550.jpg

Opened up the box and received very nice quality parts:

20180131_133249.jpg
20180129_164915.jpg
20180210_134323.jpg
20180402_162302.jpg
20180216_090650.jpg

20180329_152147.jpg
20180210_124403.jpg

Once I received the kit everything looked great. Welds, flange, packaging, etc. I did notice that the turbo blanket was missing but Anthony got me one fairly quickly.

The fitment:

After installing the manifold and test fitting the exhaust housing, I realized the exhaust manifold sat to close to the strut tower and the exhaust housing was unable to fit.

20180328_175015.jpg
20180328_175000.jpg

So after talking with Payam we thought it might be the motor mounts. I opted to just buy some new upgraded ones vs. Oem because I'd rather cry once and pay once than redo this again later for bad wear/tear. I opted for ADE mounts and Andy is awesome for getting them out to me on short notice!

20180404_132448.jpg

After installing the new motor mounts, the exhaust housing would STILL NOT FIT w/o touching the strut tower. At this point I was super frustrated at this point. Guess what I found? A broken engine brace.

20180404_152441.jpg

How this happened I will never know... So of course I got this fixed immediately... Once I repaired, there was still no room!!! The turbo was still hitting the strut tower brace..

I decided to add some washers on the aftermarket motor mounts to hopefully give me some clearance. Whelp, it worked. Finally had some space to mount the exhaust housing.

20180407_091824.jpg

20180405_202158.jpg

20180407_095932.jpg

Now onto mounting the exhaust housing... The rear bolt closest to the valve cover was too long. This i don't believe is a ACF issue but a precision turbo issue. I had to cut the bolt to get it to fit.
20180405_203800.jpg

The down-pipe, dump tubes, water pipe, etc all fit great with no issues.
Once installing the exhaust housing and getting everything correctly angled I quickly became frustrated with the oil drain. It DID NOT FIT any way you angled it.

20180407_070905.jpg

Screenshot_20180407-071734.jpg

This is what is provided..

20180407_114839.jpg

So I again opted to buy a flexible drain so I could finish the install.

20180407_114723.jpg

You need to cut the OEM oil drain used off the OEM twin turbo and reuse this for the drain. I couldn't find the instructions for this anywhere. So here is where it is cut..

received_10156221222249911.jpeg

I was so relieved that the kit was finally installed!

20180408_091003.jpg

Then after closing my hood, boom, scratched the shit out of my polished exhaust housing! I was like sonofabbbiiii. The hood rests on the compressor housing :-( sooo yahh....

20180409_081424.jpg

20180409_081428.jpg

Overall quality (ie. Welds, flange, bends) seemed to all be great. Fitment on the other hand seemed mediocre. Lots of swearing and frustration... sad my NEW POLISHED HOUSING gone to shit with a simple 2 second hood closing.

Note: Wanted to give a thanks / shout out to Payam, Andy, n Omar for answering random questions and help.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Sshec152

Volrath

Private
Oct 8, 2017
Ride
E92 N54
Smh.....ya know, not for nothing, how do you run a business, or expect customers to by your product, if your missing parts, they don't fit, no communication, and can't deliver as promised?

Honestly, I did tons of research before buying a kit, and I liked the tear drop wastegates, runners, and the manifold design better than most. However, I did not expect this to be a piece together like kit. I ended up buying quite a few more parts, like t4 manifold gasket, 45 degree an fitting, and a few other things because it wasn't included or I used the part in a wrong area. There is very limited DIY for this kit out there. I used RobC guide but that limited as he pieced together a lot of it as well. Hopefully this helps anyone else that buys or has purchased this kit.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
The welds and fitment are not good. I would have sent that shit right back and did a charge back. Fitment is obvious shit...the weld comment is based on the sugar in the merge collector in your pic that is likely going to trash your turbine wheel at some point too.

Guess this puts the "Is ACF trash?" Question to bed. For what you paid, I'd be pissed.

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
Lol, maybe you should have left the bad ones out, and just showed the pretty wrapped pieces. It's all about honesty here, if you would have said it was a great kit, no issues, and fit like a glove....oh, and they shipped it in 3 days...Just saying, I believe all turbos should bolt to the manifold it was built on. I feel for guys that spend that kind of money for something that has issues, remember that other guy somethings, somethin, works......

berns

Corporal
Jan 15, 2018
Ride
'09 135i
seems like Doc Race or Motiv are THE ONLY options for ST, if you want it to show up and bolt on and not run to the hardware store.

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
Honestly, I did tons of research before buying a kit, and I liked the tear drop wastegates, runners, and the manifold design better than most. However, I did not expect this to be a piece together like kit. I ended up buying quite a few more parts, like t4 manifold gasket, 45 degree an fitting, and a few other things because it wasn't included or I used the part in a wrong area. There is very limited DIY for this kit out there. I used RobC guide but that limited as he pieced together a lot of it as well. Hopefully this helps anyone else that buys or has purchased this kit.

Piece together like kit? You put the 45 fitting in the wrong spot. When you had any questions, I tried to answer quickly to the best of my ability. T4 gasket is not needed, I've been running red RTV on them on all my cars with over 100k total combined. I made an install guide thread as well as tons of info out there. So far 1 thing was not there that you felt needed, so how is this a piece together kit?

PS, when you add washers to the bottom of the motor mount, you raise the motor. Easy reason why your turbo hit the hood. All you have to do is ask us, that's when we can help you. If you don't ask us Chris, there is nothing I can do. There are manifolds in stock that he can send you and he can go over your current one for second QC. Let me know what you want to do.

Derrick, I don't understand why you keep tagging me in these posts. I do not own or run ACF, I don't get paid or receive commission for any of this stuff. I just do my best to help people because I feel it's the right thing to do. I don't have to keep anyone updated or reply to anyone. I do so because I respect the members here and have information to share.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Derrick, I don't understand why you keep tagging me in these posts. I do not own or run ACF, I don't get paid or receive commission for any of this stuff. I just do my best to help people because I feel it's the right thing to do. I don't have to keep anyone updated or reply to anyone. I do so because I respect the members here and have information to share.

You're the closest thing to an online presence Anthony has. Every story has 2 sides... Besides, I love reading your signature line :)

I could tag @Anthony@ACF, but I don't think he does much forum browsing.

Reactions: Volrath

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
I've been wrenching on equipment for some time now, and I would never run any type of selant over the proper gasket for a turbo, the heat is tremendous, do they include a tube instead of a gasket? So when someone has the whole kit installed, and the turbo, wastegate,downpipe, or 02's are hitting, or not lined up, who pays for that? Again, no excuses for this, I'm sure when you tryed to bolt it together, we're you happy and jumping for joy, high fiving your buddy, just run it with some vise grips and flex seal.

Volrath

Private
Oct 8, 2017
Ride
E92 N54
Piece together like kit? You put the 45 fitting in the wrong spot. When you had any questions, I tried to answer quickly to the best of my ability. T4 gasket is not needed, I've been running red RTV on them on all my cars with over 100k total combined. I made an install guide thread as well as tons of info out there. So far 1 thing was not there that you felt needed, so how is this a piece together kit?

PS, when you add washers to the bottom of the motor mount, you raise the motor. Easy reason why your turbo hit the hood. All you have to do is ask us, that's when we can help you. If you don't ask us Chris, there is nothing I can do. There are manifolds in stock that he can send you and he can go over your current one for second QC. Let me know what you want to do.

Payam you have been helpful so thank you. You would see that at the bottom of the posting.

Being honest I thought welds yes looked good from the outside. Internal shot made me a little concerned.

NO ONE wants to take the kit off once they got it to fit to see if another identical kit "fits" better. I'm not doing the install on a commercial lift. I have a non mechanic job that I would rather spend my time doing vs. Test fitting turbo kits. That's what the fabricators that sell these kits should be doing... I have yet to hear an "I'm sorry" or "can I help fix it" from Anthony. He reached out 1 time. Which I can SS if needed.

Also, me needing parts. Would Anthony like to pick up the tab for horrible fitment nightmare I went through? How about the turbo drain, and fittings? How about the smashed turbo housing due to clearance flaws? I try to be honest for those who are potentially purchasing this kit as I told you when I first started the install.

How was I supposed to get the exhaust housing to fit besides what I did. Even what I did made the turbo BARELY FIT!.. PICS DON'T LIE

I have no need to bash, but would rather praise on quality and customer support. You said you would talk to Anthony. No response from you or Anthony yet.

Reactions: The Convert

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride

If you're in customer service at BMS, I hope you take it more seriously than you do for your bud Anthony...if you don't want to be involved in his messes, you should not get involved with his sales...at all.

The short and skinny is that kit fits like trash and should have never left ACF. It seems all of his kits are having fitment issues. Might be time to recheck the jigs and start stitch welding each weld joint and bounce around from joint to joint to spread the heat out of it's all from distortion. That, or quit selling kits.

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
Payam you have been helpful so thank you. You would see that at the bottom of the posting.

Being honest I thought welds yes looked good from the outside. Internal shot made me a little concerned.

NO ONE wants to take the kit off once they got it to fit to see if another identical kit "fits" better. I'm not doing the install on a commercial lift. I have a non mechanic job that I would rather spend my time doing vs. Test fitting turbo kits. That's what the fabricators that sell these kits should be doing... I have yet to hear an "I'm sorry" or "can I help fix it" from Anthony. He reached out 1 time. Which I can SS if needed.

Also, me needing parts. Would Anthony like to pick up the tab for horrible fitment nightmare I went through? How about the turbo drain, and fittings? How about the smashed turbo housing due to clearance flaws? I try to be honest for those who are potentially purchasing this kit as I told you when I first started the install.

How was I supposed to get the exhaust housing to fit besides what I did. Even what I did made the turbo BARELY FIT!.. PICS DON'T LIE

I have no need to bash, but would rather praise on quality and customer support. You said you would talk to Anthony. No response from you or Anthony yet.

Chris, we would send you a new drain and fittings. You never reached out to anyone regarding that. You never reached out to us regarding the manifold. I'm sure Anthony would have worked something out for you. You never asked so how do we know how to help you man?? I'm not sure how you're not understanding this simple concept. WE CANT READ YOUR MIND...

I did talk to Anthony and that was my reply in my previous post. Sorry I didn't reply to you within 4 minutes, somehow I'm supposed to answer everyone ASAP. I didn't know this was my job for you guys.

BTW, the guy that made your kit (main Fabricator of ACF). One of Anthony's best friend passed away in a motorcycle accident yesterday. So right now is a hard time for all of us, that is reason why it took me a while to get back to you.

https://www.gofundme.com/christian-clark-memorial

Volrath

Private
Oct 8, 2017
Ride
E92 N54
Payam, I think you have been the most helpful part of this whole process. I didn't notify your or Anthony about the inside welds, however I did notify you asap regarding fitment. You know that. I know you offered to talk with Anthony regarding possibly sending out a new manifold, so yes I appreciate that. It sucks A. Having the car out of commission forever B. Getting all the bolts tight on the manifol which was pretty difficult and removing the current tight ones, ordering new gaskets etc. This would frustrate me just having to redo the manifold again. But lastly C. Having to explain to my wife and kids that more hours of dad's time goes to the car now vs. them because dad has to uninstall and reinstall more car parts.
This thread was not to bash or make you Payam feel like you were not helpful. It was just to show my experience with the kit and install. As you can see I take my time doing work on my car. I pay attention to the fine details. My biggest grudge was the fitment /clearance of the manfiold and damage to my polished housing. Payam I probably took off the motor mounts, bracket, jacked up the motor, lowered the subframe 10 times trying to get it to work. You know we both came to the conclusion that motor mounts were probably the culprit. But wasn't as it turns out. I upgraded motor mounts and still had fitment issues. I can work on the hood fitment as an easy remedy, but I can't fix my polished compressor housing without buying a new one :-(

I am in no way upset with you Payam. You have have had amazing response time. Though, with Anthony it's just been crickets.

I'm sorry to hear of the recent friend loss. I can understand any delayed responses.

Last edited:

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
This is in general, ànd this goes for all companies that building kits that require you to remove OEM products in place off aftermarket. Quality control is number one, your susbsituting OEM for parts that some guy makes, same goes for any hybrid turbo. The work that requires to remove his shit, and paying for labor, no vehicle,time off work, rentals if this is your only trans,and aggravation to say the least. All because quality control, takes a back seat and should be good enough comes a priority. Unless you can drop 5k like a penny, then disregard this entirely.

Reactions: Volrath

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
...but I can't fix my polished compressor housing without buying a new one...

Actually, this is the first time where I'm being serious when I say "that will buff out". Polishing aluminum isn't exactly fun, but I can gouge the crap out of aluminum and polish it out. A surface scratch like that will take a few minutes to buff out with the right tools.

Reactions: chadillac2000