ACF / VM Top Mount Review

chadillac2000

Corporal
Oct 26, 2017
NC
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
That oil drain can be difficult to fit, but with the proper orientation of everything, it should work. Took plenty of adjustments and patience, don't get me wrong. Plenty of cars out there running the the exact same hard line with no issue though. Going to that flexible line would make me uneasy as time progressed. ACF probably has large batches of that exact hard drain line made at once, so I can't see how fitment would vary from car to car. In the one photo where it looks like it won't fit well, the turbo is improperly clocked. I know, because I did the same thing. In your final photo, all looks well with clocking though.

The exhaust housing of the turbo hitting the strut tower was probably because of the broken body mount as you found. I wonder if the ADE mounts had anything to do with the fitment issues of the turbo? I doubt Anthony does QC with the ADE mounts in mind.

I do recall in a DIY video of the DocRace kit I referenced a bunch, that they also had to add spacers to get the exhaust housing off the strut tower. What size turbo is this? 6466?

BTW...clean work! Engine bay looks so dope. That charge pipe + 335D coolant tank looks perfect.

Volrath

Private
Oct 8, 2017
Ride
E92 N54
Actually, this is the first time where I'm being serious when I say "that will buff out". Polishing aluminum isn't exactly fun, but I can gouge the crap out of aluminum and polish it out. A surface scratch like that will take a few minutes to buff out with the right tools.

Here is a better pic. Maybe not as bad? I think it looks bad but that's because I'm OCD
20180410_085001.jpg

Volrath

Private
Oct 8, 2017
Ride
E92 N54
That oil drain can be difficult to fit, but with the proper orientation of everything, it should work. Took plenty of adjustments and patience, don't get me wrong. Plenty of cars out there running the the exact same hard line with no issue though. Going to that flexible line would make me uneasy as time progressed. ACF probably has large batches of that exact hard drain line made at once, so I can't see how fitment would vary from car to car. In the one photo where it looks like it won't fit well, the turbo is improperly clocked. I know, because I did the same thing. In your final photo, all looks well with clocking though.

The exhaust housing of the turbo hitting the strut tower was probably because of the broken body mount as you found. I wonder if the ADE mounts had anything to do with the fitment issues of the turbo? I doubt Anthony does QC with the ADE mounts in mind.

I do recall in a DIY video of the DocRace kit I referenced a bunch, that they also had to add spacers to get the exhaust housing off the strut tower. What size turbo is this? 6466?

BTW...clean work! Engine bay looks so dope. That charge pipe + 335D coolant tank looks perfect.

Ty for the complements :) the turbo is a 6466 yes. The drain I tried literally every which way. No luck. The motor mounts should not need to be adjusted as they do not sag. The new motor brace is new so that also couldn't be it.

Here is the clocking orientation. I tried clocking different too with no luck. It could be that I missed the 1 degree angle and that could be the issue, but then again I spent way to much time trying to figure it out and opted for a flex line

Attachments

• 20180407_103330.jpg
    20180407_103330.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 134

N54QC

Corporal
Aug 17, 2017
Ride
07 E90 335i
You can litterally take a sword and tomahawk chop that thing and I can fix it. Aluminum is extremely forgiving.
It can be fixed as I have done flattening and polishing on aluminum. But if it's deep and it's on a round contour like on a turbo, it will either take a lot of time to take down to re-shape again or will show a flat spot. It's kind of hard to see how deep it is by the picture but it looks like a gouge versus just a hood rub.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Speaking of T4 divided gaskets is one better than another? Like this on for instance? https://www.full-race.com/store/borg-warner-efr/turbos-efr-series/t4-divided-flange-gasket/

I wonder if the easiest fix would have been just a couple swings with an engineer's hammer to the strut wall. If you only need a small amount of space I doubt it would cause harm. Not saying you should have to do this, but a little persuasion never hurt anyone.

Worst case have it cut and welded. I dislike the idea of using washers on motor mounts. Even if it is grade 8 etc.

Last edited:

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
It can be fixed as I have done flattening and polishing on aluminum. But if it's deep and it's on a round contour like on a turbo, it will either take a lot of time to take down to re-shape again or will show a flat spot. It's kind of hard to see how deep it is by the picture but it looks like a gouge versus just a hood rub.

You can add metal you know :)

N54QC

Corporal
Aug 17, 2017
Ride
07 E90 335i
You can add metal you know :)
I understand, but this was originally discussed as a easy fix. Sure, anything can be fixed to an extent. But going by the picture, it's looks a little more involved then sanding down and polishing. I would be frustrated too if I was the OP but as Payam commented, raising the mounts might of contributed to the hood hitting unfortunately. But I do agree that there seems to be a lot of fitment issues and part hunting for a kit that should be pretty dialed in with everything required for the price.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
For $5k it should fit perfectly if installed by an experienced wrencher. Hell, to be completely honest, it should be coated and professionally heat wrapped 100% ready to bolt on.

Hot parts kits I would accept more parts hunting, but even then, the parts should FIT. Isn't that the point of buying quality parts, to fit properly?

Volrath

Private
Oct 8, 2017
Ride
E92 N54
For $5k it should fit perfectly if installed by an experienced wrencher. Hell, to be completely honest, it should be coated and professionally heat wrapped 100% ready to bolt on.

Hot parts kits I would accept more parts hunting, but even then, the parts should FIT. Isn't that the point of buying quality parts, to fit properly?

Completely agree

Reactions: buster84

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
All the top mount kits from what I've seen takes some macgyvering to get them to fit. Not enough space on this platform to get perfect fitment on everything.

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
Argh, seems like you are dealing with the same nightmare I had with their kit.

Best of luck. But it looks like your best bet is just to file a PayPal dispute and return the stuff. There is just no easy to fix that strut tower and hood clearance without major fab works.

mario65

Dec 31, 2017
Ride
2008 335XI Coupe M6
AC FAB is clearly a stay away from company. I paid that Punk 4850 for a kit that was ready to ship sans ceramic coating. I was clear on the phone that my car was at a shop and on a lift. He promised to ship within a week. I paid him Oct 15 2018. Promises to send and even telling me it was in the mail and would send me a tracking number was nothing more a pile of crap to hold my money. This guy even laughed in the messages saying it was ready to ship and if i went to PayPal to get my money he'd just sell it someone else. Only a 14 year would deal with a customer you've lied to and put in an impossible situation in that manner. Anthony Chaglassian is absolutely the most dishonest and immature person I've dealt with the automobile industry. Im 53 and have built way too many fast cars to remember. Never once have I run into such a low life.

Thank God I got my money from PAYPAL. He clearly wouldn't send it back at anytime.

I wasted 7 weeks of my life.

Im on to another kit from a professional.

Last edited: