Ad-e 8.8 inch rear diff

gmagnus7

Corporal
Dec 3, 2018
Ride
135i N54
I think they both serve their purpose. If I wanted something no expenses spared I'd opt for the ford 8.8 kit. But I can find a DCT m3 diff and axles for around 1500$ Canadian, and then order a carbon fiber driveshaft (something I'd want either way) and be said and done for less than 4 grand, that's completely bolt in.

For upgraded drivetrain that's not too bad. IF the axles break, then ship em to DSS or go local custom for another grand. ADE's kit would cost me around 7 grand in total Canadian with a CF driveshaft, pumpkin included, and taxes/shipping in. Exchange rate's a bitch.

Reactions: Dc317

Dc317

Lurker
Mar 31, 2019
Erie, PA
Ride
2008 135i ST 1m clone
I think they both serve their purpose. If I wanted something no expenses spared I'd opt for the ford 8.8 kit. But I can find a DCT m3 diff and axles for around 1500$ Canadian, and then order a carbon fiber driveshaft (something I'd want either way) and be said and done for less than 4 grand, that's completely bolt in.

For upgraded drivetrain that's not too bad. IF the axles break, then ship em to DSS or go local custom for another grand. ADE's kit would cost me around 7 grand in total Canadian with a CF driveshaft, pumpkin included, and taxes/shipping in. Exchange rate's a bitch.

Could always piece a setup together with the lse90 brackets and dss axles

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
Okay I did some research, since Chris suggested that my opinion was due to a lack of it, and now I am sitting over here laughing my ass off at the irony.

So for starters, to find a ring and pinion for an M3 diff, you need to be ready to spend $1000-$1300 just for the parts. The gearing options are nowhere near what is available for the 8.8 either, and there are very few vendors with options.

Then you have the Wavetrac LSD, which is another $1300 on its own. So for me, with a 6AT car, if I want to swap in an M3 diff, get rid off the pussy ass stock LSD and keep my gear ratios the same I need to factor an additional $2600 into what I spend on the diff/axles/driveshaft.

So once again, the only place the M3 diff is economical is on a manual transmission car with medium power levels. Most of the manual cars are 07s anyway, so there is already a good chance you have the bigger diff so in my opinion, it's still easier to just swap in a LSD from Mafactory or something.

Also I'm not sure why people are so attached to the price about the ADE kit. What does he even do? Make a bracket and a diff cover? All of the complex parts are done by DSS anyway.

JBacon335

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Toms River, NJ
Ride
07 335i Sedan, 1988 Mustang GT
the 8.8 is just far superior in every way to the m3 setup. just look at the 03-04 cobra mustangs and you have verification

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
The ford 8.8 can be upgraded to 35 spline. I think for most the 31 will be fine but it is an option. I am a big fan of spending the money once and spending it right. Plenty of real well known companies provided tons of options for that diff: Strange, Moser, etc.

I would assume you could get a ford 9'' to fit if you really wanted to if somehow the fully upgraded 8.8 was not enough. I think for almost everyone it will be PLENTY.

I have no clue why you are being so combative.

It's VTT bro, par for the course ;(

Shouldn’t you be responding to turbo warranty emails?

No instead he should be getting into arguments on forums over products he doesn't even sell. Tony should pay him extra for all the off topic posts he makes ;)

Last edited:

Czechmate

Lurker
Dec 11, 2018
San Francisco, CA
Ride
2008 335i Manual
I've got an 8.8 from a vendor with an adapter plate, one piece driveshaft and DSS axles. I'd be happy to help out with getting 8.8 swaps in more hands. PM me if you need measurements, photos or videos. I'll do my best to provide as much info as I can.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Im amazed that someone hasnt developed a rival kit yet. Take a risk and build a few sets once sold and delivered use the money to build the second set. There’s no magic here. Its basic fabrication. You could do most of it on a bench.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Im amazed that someone hasnt developed a rival kit yet. Take a risk and build a few sets once sold and delivered use the money to build the second set. There’s no magic here. Its basic fabrication. You could do most of it on a bench.
The "kit" or bracket has been created. AD-E doesn't make the axles - you can get those from DSS, so why not just let people go get the level of axle they need? You need a custom driveshaft - but that again is user customizable - some people might opt for a modified stocker, some aluminum, some steel, some carbon fiber.

The $270 kit is the way to go and let people build the rest ala carte. Andy just wants people to give him $5K so he can finish up his last job that he doesn't have the funds for.

• Agree

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Okay I did some research, since Chris suggested that my opinion was due to a lack of it, and now I am sitting over here laughing my ass off at the irony.

So for starters, to find a ring and pinion for an M3 diff, you need to be ready to spend $1000-$1300 just for the parts. The gearing options are nowhere near what is available for the 8.8 either, and there are very few vendors with options.

Then you have the Wavetrac LSD, which is another $1300 on its own. So for me, with a 6AT car, if I want to swap in an M3 diff, get rid off the pussy ass stock LSD and keep my gear ratios the same I need to factor an additional $2600 into what I spend on the diff/axles/driveshaft.

So once again, the only place the M3 diff is economical is on a manual transmission car with medium power levels. Most of the manual cars are 07s anyway, so there is already a good chance you have the bigger diff so in my opinion, it's still easier to just swap in a LSD from Mafactory or something.

Also I'm not sure why people are so attached to the price about the ADE kit. What does he even do? Make a bracket and a diff cover? All of the complex parts are done by DSS anyway.

Yeah, I tried finding custom ring and pinions for M3 diffs and they are REALLY pricey. As you said though, for a manual car - 3.15 works just fine. How many different ratios do you really need though?

My plan is to just use the M3 setup and run the M3 diff until it wears out - I've heard everything from 30K to 140K so its a crapshoot. I'd rather put a Wavetrac in an M3 diff than a stock diff any day though.

Why would you say only good for a medium power level though? The M3 axles are stout and haven't some e90 M3s run in the 9s with them? They are plenty strong.

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
The LSD is weak from the research I've done. Even Tony said that. You gotta remember the M3 can't make dick for power, and even when it does it still makes 4 banger levels of torque.

• Agree

Czechmate

Lurker
Dec 11, 2018
San Francisco, CA
Ride
2008 335i Manual
The LSD is weak from the research I've done. Even Tony said that. You gotta remember the M3 can't make dick for power, and even when it does it still makes 4 banger levels of torque.

I went with the 8.8 because I use the car mainly for drag racing and am shooting for the top. A lot of hard launches with the car, with a decent amount of power. The M3 set up wouldnt handle the workload.

Czechmate

Lurker
Dec 11, 2018
San Francisco, CA
Ride
2008 335i Manual
I may give this a shot. I've never attempted anything like it, but I believe I'm competent enough to take on the task and there is obviously a market for it.

Dc317

Lurker
Mar 31, 2019
Erie, PA
Ride
2008 135i ST 1m clone
My main issue is figuring out if the MT axles and driveshaft are the same in a 135i and 335i

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
If just doing m factory lsd and axles, drive shaft what would be the weak point with stock diff ? Seems like that would be good for 1k right maybe bullet input shaft ? Am I missing something

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
I know Payam is making like 800+ ft lbs of torque, what setup does he have? He uses his car for everything IIRC

Also I would really like to look at documented failures, I have a feeling AT guys have it easy

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
The M3 axles are stout and haven't some e90 M3s run in the 9s with them?

I thought the S65 M3s were all stuck in the 10s(very few) and 11s(most of them)? They make dick for tq, engine even built can't handle over 700whp, did I mention they make no TQ ;)