Ad-e 8.8 inch rear diff

gmagnus7

Corporal
Dec 3, 2018
Ride
135i N54
If just doing m factory lsd and axles, drive shaft what would be the weak point with stock diff ? Seems like that would be good for 1k right maybe bullet input shaft ? Am I missing something
The connection between the driveshaft and differential is weak on the stock steups. That's why the M3 is better in that regard because it has a CV joint there instead of a bolt thingymagig - you cant really upgrade that regardless of what axles or what diff you put inside.

So I would get an 8.8 or go M3 rather than upgrade the stock setup in my opinion.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
But for auto guys we have to get new lsd cause 3.46 gear. So question is does like m factory allow full pumpkin purchase with a diff core return. What sucks is I am bolted so I have easy lsd install but if my diff design is prob then i need to address. I was hoping cryo or billet would be enough. I don't need new subframe correct m3 lsd should bolt right in and axles work with my hubs?

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
Did some more research, with the 8.8 diff (not factoring the bracket) you can save 20-30 lbs and with the M3 diff you add 20-30 lbs. No clue on how the axles come into play.

In regard to the connection at the diff to the driveshaft, is there any documentation that the CV is actually better? Because I have a lot of experience four wheeling with various axle setups and the CV is usually the first thing you want to get rib of on a driveshaft lol

Who knows maybe BMW figured something out the others didn't

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Im only targeting 600whp maybe upgrade to 800s in future for low 7xx but I'll be going built before that im trying to be smart for once I figure low 600s is safe place with the pd upgrade but I'm either going ycw/m factory lsd , axles, driveshaft or m3 axles ,lsd and CF driveshaft. I thought I remembered someone taking a x5 diff or maybe m5 idk cant remember

Edit a ycw drive shaft does nothing to help the diff input from breaking correct?
I would think auto being 3.46 has to put less stress and dct being the lowest gear has the highest which explains why dct is common to break this part.

Last edited:

LoBoost

Sergeant
Dec 22, 2017
Ride
2008 135i, 2014 GTR
I emailed Grannas racing to see if they would be interested in developing a full swap kit (they offer kits for a few different cars already). Hopefully if they are willing to put something together we can have a better alternative for a complete 8.8 swap kit.

Coupes66

Corporal
Dec 26, 2017
Ride
BMW 335i N54
But for auto guys we have to get new lsd cause 3.46 gear. So question is does like m factory allow full pumpkin purchase with a diff core return. What sucks is I am bolted so I have easy lsd install but if my diff design is prob then i need to address. I was hoping cryo or billet would be enough. I don't need new subframe correct m3 lsd should bolt right in and axles work with my hubs?
I installed a E92 M3 diff and axles into my E92 335i without any issues. Diff bolts straight into 335 subframe and axles fit the 335 hubs. I used all new bolts. If I remember correctly, the rear bolt holding the diff in the subframe is a different length. You can check on Real OEM. For the drive shaft, I purchased a M3 item from the wreckers and had the CV end welded onto the 335 drive shaft. My car is producing 553rhp on a DynoDynamic Dynometer (Australia) which equates to 600rhp on a Mustang Dyno. I have run a 11.03s and had no issues with the diff or axles. My car is an auto. Diff Lab in Brisbane set up the diff with a E36 M3 LSD and 3.45 ratio. Mike at Diff Lab believes the E36 LSD has better oiling and is a stronger LSD than the E92.

Reactions: Bnks334

Brule

Sergeant
Feb 20, 2017
Ride
335i 2007 6spd manual
For anyone that wants to make a kit I've just gone out and made a video of what the rear plate and front bracket look like on an 8.8 diff.

The front bracket is very simple and could be made by simple drawing and any fabricator. Its literally a U shape with a few holes.

The rear plate and bracket would take a bit of time making a 8.8 diff cover plate and placing the threaded tube in the correct place.
I'm sure there are places you could buy the plate or just make one by hand.

As for the bushing I would strongly suggest using something with a bit of flex so you can get your bolts into the custom threaded tube.

• Informative

gmagnus7

Corporal
Dec 3, 2018
Ride
135i N54
In regard to the connection at the diff to the driveshaft, is there any documentation that the CV is actually better? Because I have a lot of experience four wheeling with various axle setups and the CV is usually the first thing you want to get rib of on a driveshaft lol
Totally depends on the quality of the CV, and the materials/hardness within the cage. No evidence, but I have heard of people breaking stock 135i/335i shafts at the pinion nut. Havnt heard of anyone breaking the M3 shaft CV, ALTHOUGH some have broken the actual axles on the M3 but it seemed to be caused by wheel hop - which can break any axle really.

Brule

Sergeant
Feb 20, 2017
Ride
335i 2007 6spd manual
Totally depends on the quality of the CV, and the materials/hardness within the cage. No evidence, but I have heard of people breaking stock 135i/335i shafts at the pinion nut. Havnt heard of anyone breaking the M3 shaft CV, ALTHOUGH some have broken the actual axles on the M3 but it seemed to be caused by wheel hop - which can break any axle really.

Buraq snapped a few driveshafts at the pinion a couple of years ago on dct car launching.

LoBoost

Sergeant
Dec 22, 2017
Ride
2008 135i, 2014 GTR
Grannas replied to my email and seems interested in possibly making a full swap kit.

Copy / paste of the email from them:

It is a possibility... I'd need a car to use for R&D though, but first I'd have to research it... got any pics of the subframe/mounting area, pics of the diff/mounting areas on the diff?

Are the E8X and E9X using the same mounting points or different?

I told him I could possibly offer my car for R&D. Can you guys post some good pics of the diff / subframe area I can send to him?(I’m overseas away from my car)

Also, E8X and E9X mounting points are the same right?

Dc317

Lurker
Mar 31, 2019
Erie, PA
Ride
2008 135i ST 1m clone
Grannas replied to my email and seems interested in possibly making a full swap kit.

It is a possibility... I'd need a car to use for R&D though, but first I'd have to research it... got any pics of the subframe/mounting area, pics of the diff/mounting areas on the diff?

I told him I could possibly offer my car for R&D. Can you guys post some good pics of the diff / subframe area I can send to him?(I’m overseas away from my car)

I’d be happy to offer a guinea pig e82, should be about 750 to the wheels when I finish tuning. Waiting on a radiator currently and put down 633 whp with 8lbs of boost left

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT

I have one post on instagram from my LSD install. Not sure how helpful that is due to camera angle and whatnot but here ya go.

Attachments

• LSD install.png
    LSD install.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 97

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I installed a E92 M3 diff and axles into my E92 335i without any issues. Diff bolts straight into 335 subframe and axles fit the 335 hubs. I used all new bolts. If I remember correctly, the rear bolt holding the diff in the subframe is a different length. You can check on Real OEM. For the drive shaft, I purchased a M3 item from the wreckers and had the CV end welded onto the 335 drive shaft. My car is producing 553rhp on a DynoDynamic Dynometer (Australia) which equates to 600rhp on a Mustang Dyno. I have run a 11.03s and had no issues with the diff or axles. My car is an auto. Diff Lab in Brisbane set up the diff with a E36 M3 LSD and 3.45 ratio. Mike at Diff Lab believes the E36 LSD has better oiling and is a stronger LSD than the E92.
So you installed a e46 lsd into the e92 m3 pumpkin. Wasnt the e36 way less torque. Or was it an upgraded lsd just designed for e36?

LoBoost

Sergeant
Dec 22, 2017
Ride
2008 135i, 2014 GTR
I’d be happy to offer a guinea pig e82, should be about 750 to the wheels when I finish tuning. Waiting on a radiator currently and put down 633 whp with 8lbs of boost left

I’ll pass along your offer. You may be closer to completion than my car is. Are you relatively close to their shop?

LoBoost

Sergeant
Dec 22, 2017
Ride
2008 135i, 2014 GTR
3 hours away but I’d be happy to trailer it out there

Good deal. I'm in Shippensburg PA, so I'm probably 2-3 hours away as well. My car is still down in Virginia having the build finished and tuned.

Dc317

Lurker
Mar 31, 2019
Erie, PA
Ride
2008 135i ST 1m clone
Good deal. I'm in Shippensburg PA, so I'm probably 2-3 hours away as well. My car is still down in Virginia having the build finished and tuned.
Jake and I were working on my tune last year and working some kinks out and I didn’t get it finished by winter. Mainly due to having a baby at home and work. But I’m full send now. Radiator came in today so she will be good to go tomorrow.