Aftermarket trans cooler

Rcsup1

Dec 14, 2018
Has anyone installed an aftermarket trans cooler on the 8hp? I have the cooler positioned and installed but cannot find a fitting to connect the factory quick connect to an -an fitting? I'm looking to bypass the tiny factory cooler completely.

hardparker

Private
Jan 23, 2018
I bought some ZF 6HP26 adapter fittings. They're -8AN. I haven't installed them yet, but I'm hopeful that they'll work. I'm going to be running an 11"x11"x1.5" B&M SuperCooler in the driver bumper and running it inline with the factory ATF to coolant heat exchanger. Ideally I'd like to be able to source AN push connect adapters for the stock heat exchanger in order to be able to use braided -8 stainless line throughout.

ZFAN.jpg

hardparker

Private
Jan 23, 2018
I don't know. I haven't gotten around to installing my cooler yet. I was planning on installing it at the same time as an ATF fluid change. I just haven't had the time for it yet.

I'm hoping since they're for an ZF HP6 that they used the same cooler port sizes on the ZF HP8. Fingers crossed and I'll post up when I know for sure.

BOosted 335i

Corporal
Free Vendor
Jun 1, 2017
What are you using to block off the 2 other lines?are you cutting and clamping or do you have plugs that clip on.

hardparker

Private
Jan 23, 2018
What are you using to block off the 2 other lines?are you cutting and clamping or do you have plugs that clip on.
If I don't incorporate the factory heat exchanger, I might:

Drain the ATF lines and call it good.
Drain and remove ATF lines.
Drain and remove ATF lines and heat exchanger. Loop coolant lines together.