Ad: All VTT V2 GC Turbos move to Mar-M246 Turbine Wheels

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
As stated in the title, we have invested heavily into moving away from Inconel 713 in our N54/S55 GC turbochargers.

Mar-M-1.jpg

After some turbine issues about 2 years ago, we went to the drawing board, and had our own turbine wheels cast in GTX28 profile to not only solve the issue but improve the performance of the units as well. We found they not only spooled better, but they also flowed better up top with this new turbine design.

Mar-M-3.jpg

In the spirit of continuous improvement, we took that efficient wheel profile and now have them cast in superalloy Mar-M246. This is the same material Garrett is using for its new "G-series" lineup.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=GRTGSERIES

"Garrett G Series Turbine Wheel: By incorporating the latest and advanced ULTA HIGH FLOW aerodynamic designs within the Garrett G Series Turbine Wheel, G Series models offer previously unimaginable power levels by frame size and improvements in spool! Made from Mar-M superalloy, the G Series Turbine Wheel withstands up-to 1050 degrees Celsius; +200 degrees Celsius over Inconel turbine wheels."

The composition of Mar-M246 not only allows it to withstand higher temps than Inconel 713, but it also has much better fatigue characteristics. This builds upon the already very reliable V2 GC units.

IMG_7876.jpg

We will start rolling out the Mar-M246 equipped units starting with our next batch which will be shipping in the next couple of weeks.

Lead, follow or get out of the way... We do our best to stay ahead of the curve here at VTT

A few questions have come up elsewhere that I'll just answer right off the bat:

Q: Any weight difference?
A: Not really, they're very close to the same weight. 718 is about .293 lb/cu in and M-M246 is about 0.305 lb/cu in.

Q: Did you guys continue to have the same failures as V1.0 GC's?
A: No, this is just a good opportunity for continuous improvement, and a direction we wanted to go for a while. MAR-M246 is a better material, particularly for high power environments.

Q: Is 713 a bad material?
A: No, it's pretty good, just not as good as MAR-M246. In fact, many of the competitors (BMW platform or otherwise) don't even use 713LC, they use K418 or 713C. 713 isn't bad stuff by any means but we found some issues when used in high boost/high EGT for extended periods of time.

Q: I'm one of those guys who wants best of the best... can I send in my V2.0 GC's and get them upgraded to the new wheels?
A: Yes, shoot me an email and let's talk about your particular situation first, but standard rebuild cost is $499 each, upgrading the wheels is an extra $100 each unit.

Chris

Last edited:

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Nice to see continued refinement especially on the parts that matter most and see the highest stress.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
I cleaned up the thread in regards to some guy who knows a guy having issues with V1.0 GC's and thinking this was the place to discuss in an attempt to leverage us. As always, best path forward is to contact me directly not have your buddy post for you. We stand behind our products and I always make it a point to try to make things right. The customer has been contacted and told to send any defective units back and we'll look at them.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I cleaned up the thread in regards to some guy who knows a guy having issues with V1.0 GC's and thinking this was the place to discuss in an attempt to leverage us. As always, best path forward is to contact me directly not have your buddy post for you. We stand behind our products and I always make it a point to try to make things right. The customer has been contacted and told to send any defective units back and we'll look at them.
I get it, but would have better optics if it was moved to the octagon so the info was still available. If that’s where it went, I completely digress.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I get it, but would have better optics if it was moved to the octagon so the info was still available. If that’s where it went, I completely digress.
I don't think it is the responsibility of the OP's to manage information from people posting outside of a thread's topic. Those posters are certainly welcome to start a thread to discuss their subject. That would be appropriate optics, I believe.

Filippo

Reactions: jts1981

Shaw0523

Sep 10, 2018
Ride
335i
Just bought a set of v2 gc’s in the Black Friday sale, will this set have the mar-m246?