Aluminium ZF oil pan with replaceable filter

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
So someone asked about this on one of the FB pages and it went mostly overlooked aside from me and one other person who posted, but it seems URO is expanding their "upgraded maintenance parts" line even more now. They started offering their own aluminum PS pulley just like HT's very recently, but I thought this was interesting.

Any disadvantages anyone can see or hypothesis about? Does the stock oil pan have a sealed filter for superior filtering or simply due to costs etc? Seems like this could be a good alternative for people with an auto who track their car and should he changing their fluid more often.

Product link: https://www.bavauto.com/bmw-automatic-transmission-filter-kit-24-15-2-333-907-prm

Bavkingn54

Lurker
Sep 13, 2018
Mass-RI
Ride
09 bmw 335i xdrive
I would definetly be interested in this while I do my propulsive dynamics rebuild over the winter but I dont know how well their filler is engineered compared to the zf filter

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I would definetly be interested in this while I do my propulsive dynamics rebuild over the winter but I dont know how well their filler is engineered compared to the zf filter
I wasnt aware that PD did their own oil pan/filter too - I thought it was mostly the clutch packs but admittedly I dont know much about the PD trans

Bavkingn54

Lurker
Sep 13, 2018
Mass-RI
Ride
09 bmw 335i xdrive
I wasnt aware that PD did their own oil pan/filter too - I thought it was mostly the clutch packs but admittedly I dont know much about the PD trans
I am doing the pd clutches. They do not offer the pan and filter you must have misunderstood me. What I meant was I may be interested in the aluminum pan and replaceable filter to do along with my build when I replace the clutches and valve body

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Ah weak, got excited. That link is dead but the part number listed is for the GM trans not ZF. Doesn't look like URO made one for ZF
Alpina used to make one but they won't sell you it, would have to find one in wrecking yard lol

Seb335i

Corporal
Jun 14, 2019
Ride
BMW 335i E93 DKG

Here are the part number

24 11 7 588 752 Oil pan 246,34€
24 15 2 333 899 Fluid filter kit 90,74€
24 11 7 588 753 Gasket oil pan 43,29€
Will fit all ZF6HP26/28 I made the conversion on my previous 335d

Seb335i

Corporal
Jun 14, 2019
Ride
BMW 335i E93 DKG
Any disadvantages anyone can see or hypothesis about? Does the stock oil pan have a sealed filter for superior filtering or simply due to costs etc? Seems like this could be a good alternative for people with an auto who track their car and should he changing their fluid more often.
Zf claims that the all in one oil pan and gasket made in Carbon fiber reinforced polymer is better for noise.
With the aluminum oil pan you will have a way better oil temp but more noise.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Zf claims that the all in one oil pan and gasket made in Carbon fiber reinforced polymer is better for noise.
With the aluminum oil pan you will have a way better oil temp but more noise.
Good find on the X5 M oil pan, but you said it's for the 26s/28s - I thought they used a different oil pan than the 6hp21 that comes with the N54/N55, and it's sometimes hard to tell from pictures but that picture looks to support my prior thoughts judging by where the oil filter appears to be. I'm still tempted to swap in a 6hp28 on my N54 but dont know if it'll happen for sure, if I'll go the PD route or something else - but if I go with the 28 I'll probably do the same upgrade.

Interesting to hear the pros/cons you said though. I actually would've assumed the plastic pan would be better for oil temps unless the aluminum one has fins, but I'm not surprised the alu pan could be more noisy due to the nature of metal reflecting noise better than plastic. Honestly I thought the biggest benefits here would just be similar to going with a metal VC or metal pulley - no longer needing to replace the entire thing every x amount of time due to no longer worrying about cracks and easier/cheaper maintenance with a replaceable filter.