AVIN Android Multimedia System Master Thread

NJN54

Feb 19, 2018
Ride
2008 BMW 335xi
Hi I get very very low sound when using 8.8" Touch screen idrive replacement for my e92. I have Logic 7. I moved fiber optic cable over to the new harness going into idrive unit. Also ran aux 3.5 cable from aux out on the harness to my cars aux in in the arm rest. The radio and idrive functions work but my android avin unit audio is extremely low. I have car volume and all android volume settings to the max. Can you help? Am I missing something?

VACust

Corporal
Dec 1, 2016
US - Utah
Hi I get very very low sound when using 8.8" Touch screen idrive replacement for my e92. I have Logic 7. I moved fiber optic cable over to the new harness going into idrive unit. Also ran aux 3.5 cable from aux out on the harness to my cars aux in in the arm rest. The radio and idrive functions work but my android avin unit audio is extremely low. I have car volume and all android volume settings to the max. Can you help? Am I missing something?
Did you turn up the aux volume to?

VACust

Corporal
Dec 1, 2016
US - Utah
Just to be clear, the AUX input has it's own volume level on the factory head unit separate from main volume control in iDrve. You can adjust the aux volume by going into the factory screen, select CD/Multimedia, aux input and adjust the volume. I’ve seen a couple people miss that volume adjustment.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I will check this again, but even with it maxed out the sound was a bit low, did anyone figure out how to fix this? I have the HiFi audio system with a JL XD600/6

VACust

Corporal
Dec 1, 2016
US - Utah
Mine was fine after I adjusted the aux volume and AVIN volume. I’ll hope there aren’t intermittent or individual issues with them.

jelias17

Aug 10, 2017
Ride
08 E93 335i
Can you go through the steps of making MHD work through the avin unit, I have it installed replacing my CCC but cant get MHD to work

VACust

Corporal
Dec 1, 2016
US - Utah
Can you go through the steps of making MHD work through the avin unit, I have it installed replacing my CCC but cant get MHD to work
MHD works to monitor, clear/check codes and log. I used a low profile OBDII extension @doublespaces found on Amazon and ran the cord behind the stock head unit to my glove box where it plugs into the AVIN USB. I connected it to the WiFi in my house and use my cell phone as a hot spot for the AVIN. Then just go to the Google Play in apps and search MHD.

jelias17

Aug 10, 2017
Ride
08 E93 335i
I plug it in open MHD and nothing happens, is there a reboot or any procedure to make the android recognize the cable??

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I plug it in open MHD and nothing happens, is there a reboot or any procedure to make the android recognize the cable??
Test the cable with your phone first and make sure any obd extensions you're using work.

jelias17

Aug 10, 2017
Ride
08 E93 335i
Very good point, i was using an extension and it wasnt working, i plugged it directly and it started working but then started giving alot of connection issues, what cable are you guys using. Im currently working on installing a rear camera, a front camera for parking and getting these gauges to work. I have a youtube channel if you guys would like to check it out, i did a video unboxing the avin unit and will do one installing it and then a review and feature overview.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I don't actually have my extension hooked up. I have a couple, I'll sell them if you want to buy it. I think the part is listed earlier in the thread.

matthewo

Jan 31, 2018
Ride
335i
I have not been very happy with mine lately.

I havent really had the time to mess with it much, however i have developed an issue with the jb4 app, it worked perfectly fine before now it wont hold the connect, it will connected then disconnect immediatly within 3-5 seconds. I tried it with an OTG cable on a different tablet and it seemed to work fine.

another thing I updated the carplay app which help with the connectivity issues with my iphone and apple carplay, however i still have to go find the app every time a plug it in, then it keeps popping up "allow this device to use usb" even when you click do this as default it still comes up like 3 or 4 more times and will never keep the setting.

another issue is it seems like anything you set on the device resets everytime you turn your car off and the device turns off.

I also cannot find out the password to get into developer mode to maybe try a few different settings. Unforunatly this $600 solution is turning into somethign that really isnt very useful at all, just frustrating and not very useful for a car indash system. I really didnt want to spend a lot of time pressing little buttons to make stuff work while i am driving, that was the point to get away from.

• Agree
Reactions: Jeffman

esberelias

Dec 2, 2017
Ride
E92 2011 335i
I also cannot find out the password to get into developer mode to maybe try a few different settings.

I downloaded an app called "developer settings" from the play store and it goes into the settings bypassing the password

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I have the password somewhere. Avin will give it to you. I also have an mcu update file I'll post.

JuniorB

Sergeant
May 9, 2017
Rhode Island
Ride
07 e60
So really having a fiber optic sound, your going backwards using aux which is analog? Having options like an android I guess has its place, for someone not having it may not notice, but the whole logic experience is the sound. Still may be a better option than a basic hifi

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
So really having a fiber optic sound, your going backwards using aux which is analog? Having options like an android I guess has its place, for someone not having it may not notice, but the whole logic experience is the sound. Still may be a better option than a basic hifi

Its not a matter of wanting to us an analog source, its a matter of capability. If you can recommend a way to get audio into the system in a digital way, please let me know as I'm interested.

orion

Apr 13, 2018
Ride
bmw e90 2006 330xd
Hello,

my first post here, have been struggling with this android multimedia for several days already. Since I'm living in Europe I bought this multimedia from aliexpress website, but it's exactly the same as AVIN are offering for US residents.
Now having hard time communicating with China seller, not only their english is not good, but also getting tired of stupid questions like "did you forgot power on your multimedia" or "did you connected cables correctly" :)

so the car is BMW 330xd 2006 with CCC 8,8" screen.
new screen shows only part 2/3 of the image when switching to show original car display

bmw half screen.jpg bmw half screen 2.jpg

There is CAR TYPE list in Factory settings menu, already tried all available options, all other selections displaying worse.
car type list.jpg

After few days of useless conversations with seller he had sent me firmware which I installed and made things even worse, later received original firmware but now after turning on car, multimedia powers on, but idrive control wheel and menu button are unresponsive unless I go to CAR INFO menu tab, then hold menu button and get back to android, button and wheel starts to work.

My thinking what I need is MCU update which I were unable to get from seller. So if anyone has it please share:)
My firmware specs (before update, now it's the same except now I don't have anything in these brackets [BMW-0223-180116]):
bmw firmware.jpg