AVIN Android Multimedia System Master Thread

Mecpaul

Jan 12, 2019
Bahrain
Ride
2008 E93 335i
Which one do you have? 8.8" or 10.25"? Glad yours seems to be working well. Did you get any extra accessories like wireless backup camera?

Mine is the 8.8" version so no cutting of the Dash!
Accessories; all from Aliexpress; included the iPhone Carplay, which works fine on my iPhone 5 but not on the version 7, so not as advertised; OBD2 bluetooth which doesn't work and the standard hard wired rear view camera which works fantastically and has made the whole setup worthwhile just for this feature alone, plus the added bonus of making phone calls.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
So currently I get the static with aux, usb, or bluetooth input selected (just tested the usb input yesterday). I get the static with 3 different shielded aux cords, and even with aux unplugged entirely. This never happened before installing the Avin, but I almost hope it's an issue with my car so that it's fixable. I'm a bit rusty, but isn't the usb, aux, and bluetooth inputs all handled on the MULF2 HI on the car? If not, does anyone know what unit is responsible for handling these inputs? I won't rule out the possibility that mine just happened to go bad with the Avin install and it's a coincidence and I can replace that and solve the issue.

The one test I haven't done yet is uninstall completely and go back to my stock screen and see if the symptoms persist. I won't have time for a couple weeks to knock that out but I'll give that a try and report back with my findings.

I get the static, but only when the music is paused. It will come on a few seconds later. I bitched a ton through the aliexpress vendor, got a replacement harness and haven't tried it yet and also a partial refund through the dispute process.

Thanks for the clarification. The USB and Aux ports are separate and selected differently with 6FL option in my Logic7 system. So if I were listening to my MP3s through the headunit I would not have any sound through the Avin. I should then be able to select Avin sound by selecting Aux audio in the Logic7, right?
Can anyone else with Avin / Logic7 + 6FL USB option confirm this?

You don't lose any functionality, you simply just switch back to the CIC and play like you normally would. I don't think the android screens work with the USB bit, although I wish they did as well. The audio output is merely a regular 3.5mm cable. If you created a device that would take that as input, and then behave as a usb device playing an endless track that might work.

Reactions: Jeffman

jjames91

Feb 1, 2019
Ride
2006 BMW 335i M-Sport
Hi, could anyone point me to or provide me with the updated firmware,MCU update and car play.apk for the 8.8 CCC model? The issue is that AVIN will not support it because I'm not the original owner. I have been having all kind of issues with it, and I have read that the firmware and MCU updates resolved most of them. My unit has not been updated since January 2017. I have scoured the internet but just can't seem to find the correct updates.

Thank you so much in advance!

jjames91

Feb 1, 2019
Ride
2006 BMW 335i M-Sport
After paying AVIN for support and finally receiving all of the updates, I am still having an issue that hopefully, someone can assist on:

--When I start the car the display shows "no signal"
--After 2 minutes I can click on the screen and see the Android UI
--I can do everything within the Android UI

The Issue:

--I can not get any sound out of the unit
--The I-Drive does not work
--The BMW stereo does not work
--When I click on "Car Info" within the Android UI I get "no signal"

Troubleshooting steps:

--Under factory settings 1314
--I switch the car to Alpine (also to Harmon Kardon)
--I switch between i-drive A and i drive B
--Save configuration to factory.xml file
--Still does not work
--I tried the reset sequence with the bmw radio "mute/eject/eject - No change.

I know the unit worked because when I test drove the car all of the functions, I-drive, BMW stock radio, sound from my iphone via apple car app worked flawlessly.

I think the problem is that the previous owner updated the MCU with the wrong firmware. The firmware you provided said CCC in the script, while the previous one did not. Could this be the issue? Is there a way to fix it?

If you can think of any troubleshooting steps, please HELP!
frown.png

jjames91

Feb 1, 2019
Ride
2006 BMW 335i M-Sport
Hahahaa.. you being AVIN. Sorry, bad copy and paste job. When you look under system / MCU version / in that long code it says CCC now that I updated the MCU with the correct firmware.

Example: What it said: 6150aALS-BMW12-HW1

What it now says: 6150aALS-CCC

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Hahahaa.. you being AVIN. Sorry, bad copy and paste job. When you look under system / MCU version / in that long code it says CCC now that I updated the MCU with the correct firmware.

Example: What it said: 6150aALS-BMW12-HW1

What it now says: 6150aALS-CCC

Is your unit actually from avin or a chinese vendor directly? The Avin units have an AVIN authenticity sticker on them. If it is from one of the many chinese vendors, that may be a reason for the firmware naming differences.

jjames91

Feb 1, 2019
Ride
2006 BMW 335i M-Sport
Hi, yeah it’s from AVIN, and it does have the sticker. I think the owner before me updated to the wrong MCU file. Thanks for the help

Clomolina24

May 7, 2019
Ride
2008 BMW 335i
Loving my unit. People that are having issues either expect perfection(which imo the oem idrive is far from) or just don't know how to properly configure it
Out of curiosity, does music still play even while you have the JB4 gauges on your screen?

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
Also, have there been any updates on being able to Flash MHD through the unit?
Never going to happen, the flash will restart the unit. The new MHD wireless adapter will let you use MHD monitoring a bit more cleanly, however.

MattGu40

Private
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335xi FBO
Is the new avin 10.25 android 8.1 compatible with jb4 bluetooth.. cant find info anywhere
or the 4x4 shop new snapdragon or android 9.0 a better option that would offer better bluetooth conectivity ?

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Never going to happen, the flash will restart the unit. The new MHD wireless adapter will let you use MHD monitoring a bit more cleanly, however.
Run a constant power and remote line to glove box on switch also run a switch on the ground from canbus so you can block the restart packet. That should do it. You prob only have to do the canbus but I would do the power to so you can shut car off and still do code clearing.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I just installed a Seicane Android 9 unit and now I get an error from the DME/ECU for missing CIC display... no idea how to fix this. The Android head unit appears to work, except for I have not figured out how to activate my hotspot and connect to the unit itself to do Waze and download apps...

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I just installed a Seicane Android 9 unit and now I get an error from the DME/ECU for missing CIC display... no idea how to fix this. The Android head unit appears to work, except for I have not figured out how to activate my hotspot and connect to the unit itself to do Waze and download apps...

You're always going to get that code because there is a wire that is not needed anymore for controlling the display. Does the android unit have it's own cellular connection? If not then hotspot isn't going to do anything unless you're talking about some proprietary wifi sharing thing.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
You're always going to get that code because there is a wire that is not needed anymore for controlling the display. Does the android unit have it's own cellular connection? If not then hotspot isn't going to do anything unless you're talking about some proprietary wifi sharing thing.

OK, so I got the hotspot to work and the error isn't showing up on dash. MHD works, WAZEd etc... but no ipod via usb, and Android audio only comes out one speaker on left drive side... nowhere to adjust balance... only equalizer on 'sound' options page in settings... the volume knob on radio only works for radio, the volume on steering wheel works for android audio sources, haven't tried the skip button.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
OK, so I got the hotspot to work and the error isn't showing up on dash. MHD works, WAZEd etc... but no ipod via usb, and Android audio only comes out one speaker on left drive side... nowhere to adjust balance... only equalizer on 'sound' options page in settings... the volume knob on radio only works for radio, the volume on steering wheel works for android audio sources, haven't tried the skip button.

Is your AUX the 3.5MM or USB based? I think these only support 3.5mm right? Your issue sounds like an analog connection issue. You can try re-inserting the aux cable, or spinning it around to see if it gets audio from the other speakers. If you're using an aux extension cord of any sort, make sure it' stereo. It will have 2 black rings on the plug.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Got my Avin installed and it wasn't a bad install. I had expected to have to plug the AVIN in to the AUX port in the govebox, but that wasn't necessary. There was a 3.5in plug already connected on the harness and I didn't mess with it and everything comes thru the aux, so win. Audio from the AVIN, Bluetooth, everything sounds great.

The issue I am having though is getting audio to play when using Android auto. I got the USB Carplay/Android auto adapter, and when I connect my phone, it detects and launches Android auto. I can initiate Spotify, Sirius, Youtube Music, or any other app and it will play for 2 - 4 seconds and then pauses. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is happening, but it appears my phone keeps changing back to USB charging rather than File transfer. My buddy's Samsung says File transfer/android auto and his has no issue playing. I do have a corporate BS Mobile Iron, along with some app called Lookout. I may remove that and see if it fixes the problem, but was curious if anyone else had this issue. Phone is an LG V30.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
So, I bought the AVIN, then I bought another android screen, it had 2GB of ram instead of 1GB, but its giving me static sound when the music is off, get's stuck if you turn the key off during boot up and its still slightly sluggish. I'm hoping they fixed the static issue, but now they have an Android 10 4GB model with LTE and an octa core big.LITTLE Snapdragon 625 for $360 shipped:

CPU: MSM8953 aka Snapdragon 625: https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon-625-mobile-platform

GPU Name: Qualcomm® Adreno™ 506 GPU
CPU Clock Speed: Up to 2.0 GHz
CPU Cores: 8x ARM Cortex A53, Octa-core CPU
CPU Architecture: 64-bit
Wi-Fi Standards: 802.11ac Wave 2, 802.11a/b/g, 802.11n

Phones with this processor (2016 era): https://www.kimovil.com/en/list-smartphones-by-processor/qualcomm-snapdragon-625-msm8953