WTB B115140KIT valve spring removal

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Trying to do it while head on the car.

Not the best video but this is how I did it on a car:

Generic "overhead" tool that I then cut the bar down so I could run is along the short side of the block instead of working long-ways. Why? because you can't use the lever action of the handle as you get to the rear cylinders when working long-ways. You end up hitting the strut tower with your hand before pressing down on the valve spring.

This tool cost me like $40 on amazon and it worked pretty well once modified. Not sure if there is something "better" out there or not.

here is a similar kit:

I know people claim the devices that you smack with a hammer work well, but, I can't see that working with how tightly and recessed the valve springs are tucked into the N5x cylinder head.

Last edited:

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
The tool worked perfect, kudo to you sir and as you explained the rear one were a bitch

glad my method worked for someone. When i made the video i was saying "damn ppl are going to laugh at this backyard oldschool hack job." but honestly, it works and no head removal required. I am sure there are better overhead valve spring removal tools. I saw one for like $100 that mounted like a crane and then pivots at multiple points. I am cheap though and the $40 tool worked all the same.