B58 MPE (M Performance Exhaust) How are the valves controlled?

Discussion in 'B58, B48, B38' started by doublespaces, Jan 19, 2017.

Trader History (0)
  1. doublespaces

doublespaces Administrator

AZ
    2009 E93 335i
    I came across this system for the 340i/440i again and decided to take a closer look. I don't see any vacuum nipples and I think the stock exhaust uses an electronic valve, so I assume these are electronic as well? I'm interested in this design for a custom exhaust of my own.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1492827&d=1473781681.jpg
    01459339765.jpeg

2. They use electric valves now, the Black almost square things are a solenoid/motor that turns the valve to position.

A similar setup is used in the f80/82 m-perf exhaust as well.

3. doublespaces

AZ
    2009 E93 335i
    Thanks for confirming this. Now, the next question is, are these more reliable than the QTP cutouts? If so, I wonder if its better to go with an OEM valve like this.

4. I was honestly thinking of doing some thing quite similar, as we have a few mufflers around my work with the valves and the motors on them from accident cars. Just, not a priority at the moment. They do have a 4 pin wiring connection on them, so I am not sure if it just a simple on off, because the extra pins make me think there is some sort of position sensor in them, and possibly a 5v reference feed. Either way, I am sure they can be made to work with a toggle or possibly a potentiometer, and you can control the "noise".

5. doublespaces

AZ
    2009 E93 335i
    So, when the valves are open, this is more or less a straight pipe exhaust?

6. Correct. You will still get some sound waves isolated, as the paths to the muffler are not completely closed, but the exhaust will flow better.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List