Bad valve guides anyone n54?

Zareh335

Feb 8, 2017
Ride
Bmw 335i
Has anyone changed valve guides on there n54 ? Ive done valve stem seals and still have smoke i guess its the guides wanted to see if anyone experienced it... what were your symptoms ?

tisdrew

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
09 335i 6MT
"still have smoke"?

If you're getting a smoke cloud on decel, 90% it's turbo seals. 9% pcv system, and 1% it's bad piston rings/excess blowby. I've talked with numerous owners with the smoke on decel issue and basically every time it's been turbo seals.

Zareh335

Feb 8, 2017
Ride
Bmw 335i
"still have smoke"?

If you're getting a smoke cloud on decel, 90% it's turbo seals. 9% pcv system, and 1% it's bad piston rings/excess blowby. I've talked with numerous owners with the smoke on decel issue and basically every time it's been turbo seals.
Ive changed 3 sets of turbos.. you can notice oil on the exhaust valves i have an external pcv too.. i also have smoke on cold starts.. and the smoke is not there 24/7 just sometimes downhill and always after start ups

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Smoke on cold starts is valve related. Smoke on decel almost always turbo related

or ring seal... vacuum pulling oil past the piston rings on decel.

OP, sounds like it's time to pull the head/rebuild. If the oil was from the turbo seals, you would find oil in the charged air piping and/or the rear turbine housing into the exhaust. If it's from rings, valve stem seals, or piston rings, your only real choice is to eliminate the valve stem seals (which you already did) and then the next two require a tear down to determine... not much else left to do except measure the guides and look for damage. With the head off you should be able to see the factory crosshatch well enough to determine if there is a problem with the rings.