Before and After

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Bored, thought I'd post something while my kids complain themselves to sleep because I took their ipads away.

So in January of this year I had just finished the fbo on my car. A week after I did it I smacked into the back of an old mini van that cut me off while I was taking an off ramp. No damage to the mini van at all...... 🙄.

I drove a mile to get to a parking lot. Spewing fluids all over the place. Insurance wanted to total the car and I had to fight them to cancel the claim. Towed it back home from their salvage yard a month later after fighting to get it back.

Took me about two days of work to put it all back together. The most expensive parts were the xenon adaptive headlights at 700 a piece from summit racing.... which somehow I got lucky cause they sell well over a grand a piece everywhere else.
Overall I spent 2600 bucks fixing that damage.

Now I'm saving up to dip it. Probably going to do the tactical green kit from dipyourcar.com I also like the shark skin grey.

Attachments

• BMW4.jpg
    BMW4.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 23
  • BMW3.jpg
    BMW3.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 22
  • BMW2.jpg
    BMW2.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 20
  • BMW1.jpg
    BMW1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201012_194330.jpg
    20201012_194330.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20201012_194407.jpg
    20201012_194407.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20201012_194425.jpg
    20201012_194425.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 19

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Funny how quick they wanted to total the car.
Yeah, I was shocked. I've had USAA for 30 years since I was 18. Not anymore.

Their policy is anything over 10 years old or 100k miles is salvage.

What really annoyed me was trying to cancel the claim and getting the car back. Total fiasco.

I'm with progressive now. With them I can customize the aftermarket stuff I put on the car.

• Wow
Reactions: derekgates

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Oh man! That sucks.

I had a lady brake check me on an interstate on-ramp cause I flipped her off when she cut me off in the turn lane that lead to the on-ramp. I should have completely avoided her but I get sick and tired of idiots in Florida.

IMG_0181.jpeg
IMG_0188.jpeg

I was with AllState and they covered it, >$9500 with body shop I went to. They didn't total the car but they raised my monthly rate to over $460! I had to drop them. Called GEICO and they asked "is your car modified at all? Sorry we can't cover you". Ended up with State Farm again, car is around $140 a month.

I was impressed with Progressive and the allowance of modification, but not sure if they will drop you in ANY legal matters due to knowledge of modifications?

Last edited:
Reactions: TheFixer

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I had the opposite experience. I had progressive for years because they were inexpensive. I got fed up with them over a simple windshield claim. I spent 6+ hours of my life trying to deal with them. Switched to USAA and could never of been happier and I pay more.

I would never tell them my car is modified. Their entire business model is to make money. They do this by collecting money from all of their customers and giving as little back as possible. How? By denying claims.

If my car burns down the meth tank and lines will be removed before the insurance adjuster can get there, as an example.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
USAA here as well. Haven't had any issues with them over the ~10y/100k I've had my car with all the bangups it's had daily driving it with idiots here.

Customer service behavior seems more impersonal since the restructuring though.

Can't say I'd freely tell a company that I changed parts on a road car.

Last edited:

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
It was weird with GEICO; I mentioned "I had some tires and suspension"... normal modifications, nothing about FBO/fueling/boost/etc... just suspension and tires... That was enough for them to block me? lol

Regarding adjusters and all of that; not sure I would remove parts... interesting though.

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
Oh man! That sucks.

I had a lady brake check me on an interstate on-ramp cause I flipped her off when she cut me off in the turn lane that lead to the turning lane. I should have completely avoided her but I get sick and tired of idiots in Florida.

View attachment 45169View attachment 45170

I was with AllState and they covered it, >$9500 with body shop I went to. They didn't total the car but they raised my monthly rate to over $460! I had to drop them. Called GEICO and they asked "is your car modified at all? Sorry we can't cover you". Ended up with State Farm again, car is around $140 a month.

I was impressed with Progressive and the allowance of modification, but not sure if they will drop you in ANY legal matters due to knowledge of modifications?

Oh man! That sucks.

I had a lady brake check me on an interstate on-ramp cause I flipped her off when she cut me off in the turn lane that lead to the turning lane. I should have completely avoided her but I get sick and tired of idiots in Florida.

View attachment 45169View attachment 45170

Ouch. At least you had it taken care of.

I know in the past USAA allowed for "accessories" when they used to insure motorcycles. I hit a dear and they covered my leathers, helmet, gloves, boots and my aftermarket exhaust.

They wouldn't insure me for motorcycles anymore though.

Progressive doesn't ask what the aftermarket is. You just select a dollar value of what extra you want to insure over. In an accident you provide receipts for the aftermarket you want covered. I'm thinking though it's not supposed to be for performance mods. 🤔

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
I had the opposite experience. I had progressive for years because they were inexpensive. I got fed up with them over a simple windshield claim. I spent 6+ hours of my life trying to deal with them. Switched to USAA and could never of been happier and I pay more.

I would never tell them my car is modified. Their entire business model is to make money. They do this by collecting money from all of their customers and giving as little back as possible. How? By denying claims.

If my car burns down the meth tank and lines will be removed before the insurance adjuster can get there, as an example.

You know what's interesting? Progressive underwrites for USAA. It's all a big sham.

I never had a major issue with usaa until that accident. I'm really annoyed because claims were super easy and painless. Only small issue was when they dropped me for motorcycle coverage after a claim.

Oh well. It's all fixed by me and I don't have to wonder if someone took shortcuts fixing it.

Reactions: Torgus

TheFixer

Sergeant
Aug 16, 2020
Tennessee
Ride
2008 535i
USAA here as well. Haven't had any issues with them over the ~10y/100k I've had my car with all the bangups it's had daily driving it with idiots here.

Customer service behavior seems more impersonal since the restructuring though.

Can't say I'd freely tell a company that I changed parts on a road car.

Don't get me started how greedy and impersonal they became......

Used to be very selective who they insured. It was active military/separated/retired officers and most enlisted. They used to bend over backwards to help with any bad spots for their members.

Now they let anyone in....oh your neighbors third cousin knows a guy who's aunt was married to a guy whose brothers friend was in the army for a year? Sure.... welcome to usaa.

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus