Best aftermarket oil thermostat solution for N54?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
The AD-E one isn't actually a thermostat but sort of works like one.

The best option is stock IMO. As long as you have "High" cooling mode forced using the DME flash, the coolant keeps the engine cooler and subsequently keeps the oil a little cooler. Let the factory thermostat do its thing and get the oil warmed up to around 100C ASAP. Mine hangs around 100C most of the time when fully warmed up now that I have "High" cooling mode permanently enabled. Previously, it hung around 110C. Once you're above the temperature at which the thermostat is fully open, the thermostat makes very little difference. There is only a very small amount of oil that gets through the holes in the stock thermostat.
Does the ade valve make it slower to warm up than stock? If so by how much?

TJ Jrackers

Private
Dec 9, 2016
I have the AD-E thermostat, warm up seems fairly similar to stock, however, I find my oil runs a bit cooler than I'd like in the winter with regular driving (maybe I should put the stock one back in for winter). Sitting in traffic the oil can still get pretty hot but the additional headroom when driving hard is nice though as it takes the oil longer to get as hot.

Also I have the stock oil cooler

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I have the AD-E thermostat, warm up seems fairly similar to stock, however, I find my oil runs a bit cooler than I'd like in the winter with regular driving (maybe I should put the stock one back in for winter). Sitting in traffic the oil can still get pretty hot but the additional headroom when driving hard is nice though as it takes the oil longer to get as hot.

Also I have the stock oil cooler

So you think it opens slightly at a premature level? What is optimal oil temp for the stock oil weight? 200F?

TJ Jrackers

Private
Dec 9, 2016
Yea I'd say it opens a little early for the winter but is ok in the summer. I was considering adding a shim to raise the temp which it opened although I may not bother.

I think the best solution would be to have a massive oil cooler and a thermostat set to about 90-100c (~195-210f) to allow any water to boil off. Unsure about the optimal temp for oem oil weight though.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Who has experience with the AD-E valve? Andy has one on the way to me

I'm running the ADE tstat, ER oil cooler, and revised cooling tables. Daily driving I see average 210-220F, autocrossing it hits around 230F. It doesn't warm up any slower than stock.

The BMS "sport oil cooler valve" (read: tstat delete) is dumb. Run a proper thermostat, internal or external, so your car can warm up in a timely manner.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I'm running the ADE tstat, ER oil cooler, and revised cooling tables. Daily driving I see average 210-220F, autocrossing it hits around 230F. It doesn't warm up any slower than stock.

The BMS "sport oil cooler valve" (read: tstat delete) is dumb. Run a proper thermostat, internal or external, so your car can warm up in a timely manner.

Thanks, I've got the ADE valve on the way.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Not taking your own advice? Why don't you ask Andy how it works (I've tried on multiple occasions with no responses). Where is the wax element? It's nothing more than a pressure-based valve.

As far as I can tell it functions like the oem thermostat, except my oil temps are lower and warmup is unaffected. That's what I meant by "proper thermostat", as opposed to the BMS valve which is a tstat delete and could harm the engine long-term. And tbh for oil temperatures I don't really care how it works as long as it works :p

Reactions: terryd5150

terryd5150

Corporal
Mar 4, 2017
Ride
2008 E92 335i 2009 E90 335i
As far as I can tell it functions like the oem thermostat, except my oil temps are lower and warmup is unaffected. That's what I meant by "proper thermostat", as opposed to the BMS valve which is a tstat delete and could harm the engine long-term. And tbh for oil temperatures I don't really care how it works as long as it works :p

x2.

Reminds me of the "DCT is an auto/manual" crap.

PC Racing

Private
Mar 13, 2017
Ride
BMW 135i
I know a bunch of guys who run the ade thermostat and it seems to work well for them. I made this setup for my car about 3 years and it's done well. My oil temps will normally stay around 200-210 maybe 220 at auto cross events as there's no cool down lap. 180 degree external themostat.

Attachments

• IMG_1418.JPG
    IMG_1418.JPG
    387.8 KB · Views: 840

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I know a bunch of guys who run the ade thermostat and it seems to work well for them. I made this setup for my car about 3 years and it's done well. My oil temps will normally stay around 200-210 maybe 220 at auto cross events as there's no cool down lap. 180 degree external themostat.
I like all the braided hose... Nice

nate335i

Lurker
Aug 1, 2017
Hawaii
Ride
07' 335i
How do you guys' cars do in traffic? My 07' AT doesn't have an oil cooler, and the only time I see high temps 240+ is sitting in traffic here in Hawaii. I have a PD trans on the way, so ill be fitting an ATF cooler to my driver side front bumper duct, and putting the EOC on the passenger side. I have the OFH, but am lost on a core... should I get something small with a fan? Like i mentioned, im in traffic a lot. I like the looks of the tstat delete plate, and the IR external 180* was going to be my first choice, but is it necessary?

I only occasionally hurt feelings from a roll. No track abuse.

Thanks!

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
.., so ill be fitting an ATF cooler to my driver side front bumper duct,...

Hey Nate,
I'm curious what you're planning to do about fitting an ATF cooler. I'm researching this myself and am a little unsure what to get and how to mount it.
Do you plan to run it in series with the stock ATF heat transfer unit and a thermostat, e.g., for faster ATF warm-up? Are you looking at a particular kit? (As far as I know, there is no commercial kit, per se, like there are for an oil cooler, such as ER and Dinan.)
Thanks in advance!

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
I Think your referring to my above post. It use 1 or 2 19 row Setrab cores. I have this kit myself very impressed so far.

good stuff thanks, what AN size hosing does it run?

i will probably get this later when i finish fixing other bits.... its cheaper than trying to piece together a kit myself

too bad the thermostat plate doesnt have bungs for oil temp/press sensor otherwise it will be perfect