Best aftermarket oil thermostat solution for N54?

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
good stuff thanks, what AN size hosing does it run?

i will probably get this later when i finish fixing other bits.... its cheaper than trying to piece together a kit myself

too bad the thermostat plate doesnt have bungs for oil temp/press sensor otherwise it will be perfect

AzN! Good to see you bud.

-10AN (5/8" ID) errrll (oil) -8AN (1/2" ID) trans fluid

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
AzN! Good to see you bud.

-10AN (5/8" ID) errrll (oil) -8AN (1/2" ID) trans fluid

heyy RG long time no see... life's been hating me for the past half year or so that's why i kinda disappeared:smilecat:
thanks for the sizes! you got the same kit?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
looks pretty cool... what core does it use?
The mosselman kit? It says it houses a setrab 19 row. But for $750 that is no better off than any of the other existing kits available. We need something with good quality and a little cheaper IMO. Maybe the 500-600 dollar range.

I'm having a bracket made, too bad nobody makes one for a standard core of some kind.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
heyy RG long time no see... life's been hating me for the past half year or so that's why i kinda disappeared:smilecat:

Yea man, you're still standing so cheers to that.

thanks for the sizes! you got the same kit?

Nah, I typically think I'm clever and try to piece things together. Then look back and realize I spent twice as much time, cash, effort etc.

E92 420

Corporal
Jul 8, 2017
United Kingdom
Ride
BMW e92 335i
good stuff thanks, what AN size hosing does it run?

i will probably get this later when i finish fixing other bits.... its cheaper than trying to piece together a kit myself

too bad the thermostat plate doesnt have bungs for oil temp/press sensor otherwise it will be perfect

Hey man,

Hose and fittings are AN-8.

It's most certainly not the cheapest but the quality is second to none on this kit

Reactions: Jeffman

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Hey man,

Hose and fittings are AN-8.

It's most certainly not the cheapest but the quality is second to none on this kit

They replaced the stock 1" OD oil line with a 1/2" ID line?

dumdum.jpg

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Ive been using the ad-e with no issues at all.

the engine gets up to temp within 15 min and stays at or a tad under 110c all the time, never seen it go over that even when
at the track

nate335i

Lurker
Aug 1, 2017
Hawaii
Ride
07' 335i
Hey Nate,
I'm curious what you're planning to do about fitting an ATF cooler. I'm researching this myself and am a little unsure what to get and how to mount it.
Do you plan to run it in series with the stock ATF heat transfer unit and a thermostat, e.g., for faster ATF warm-up? Are you looking at a particular kit? (As far as I know, there is no commercial kit, per se, like there are for an oil cooler, such as ER and Dinan.)
Thanks in advance!
Jeffman,
I plan to utilize the stock exchanger inline with a thermostat. As far as mounting goes, I plan to do it all custom.. I'll cardboard something together first for sizing/ fitment, then I'll attempt to weld something up.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I've been going back and forth whether to keep the stock heat exchanger inline.
Argument against keeping stock connected: in a race or spirited driving you are dumping even more heat from the ATF into the radiator.
Argument for keeping stock connected:
It'll help to heat up the ATF more quickly to operating temps. As-is, I see 20-25 minutes highway driving to see ATF reach coolant temps.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Jeff,

Keep it in if room allows. Not for the reason that you hear parroted over and over. It is a safety threshold.

The car does not have a problem keeping coolant temps down with limited air flow, but it does have a problem keeping trans temps down during limited air flow. When you're in a low air flow situation and the heat exchanger starts using the coolant to cool the trans fluids, trans temps get pegged just above 200F. The coolant temps don't move so the "extra" heat from the trans fluid is a non issue. Even with the largest core that can be fit anywhere on the car, with limited air flow, the temp regulation is marginal. That's why you're seeing trans cooler fan installs pop up. Keep the heat exchanger.

• Informative
Reactions: nate335i

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The AD-E one isn't actually a thermostat but sort of works like one.

The best option is stock IMO. As long as you have "High" cooling mode forced using the DME flash, the coolant keeps the engine cooler and subsequently keeps the oil a little cooler. Let the factory thermostat do its thing and get the oil warmed up to around 100C ASAP. Mine hangs around 100C most of the time when fully warmed up now that I have "High" cooling mode permanently enabled. Previously, it hung around 110C. Once you're above the temperature at which the thermostat is fully open, the thermostat makes very little difference. There is only a very small amount of oil that gets through the holes in the stock thermostat.

The ade is a thermostat, it uses a thermostatic bimetal spring as it heats up it looses tension on the valve and lets oil pass through at a certain degree and closes as it gets cooler

Its an design from hydraulic valves and it works quite well

Ive been running one here in oz in our extreme summers with no issues

Its pretty awesome

Last edited:

bradsm87

Corporal
Dec 15, 2016
The ade is a thermostat, it uses a thermostatic bimetal spring as it heats up it looses tension on the valve and lets oil pass through at a certain degree and closes as it gets cooler

Its an design from hydraulic valves and it works quite well

Ive been running one here in oz in our extreme summers with no issues

Its pretty awesome

I've never, ever seen or heard of a bimetal spring thats coil wire is round.

Judging by the 4 attempts I made to get further info from Andy without a reply, it's obvious that he knows as well as I do that it's not a real thermostat at all.

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
I've had AD thermostat for some times now. Works really good for summer or hot climate. Not good for cold temps, i've seen my oil temps drop as low as 80 on the highway when outside temp was around 5-10°C.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Mine stays on 110c on the hwy no matter what temp

Done a nice run from bathurst at 2am in the morning with -3c outside and it sat nicely at 110c all the way

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
Then i must have fucked up the install or something, or one of us has a problem.
I'm switching to a real external thermostat soon anyway.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I can guarantee I don't have a problem with mine, I'm to anal about my car.

running around with 600hp any given day.

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
I mean ideally you want to delete the OEM unit and run a full bypass unit, like from Mocal, etc.

The one fromImproved is pretty nice as well but I ran the Mocal one opn my Rx-8 for a few years but now I run no thermostat (South Texas) at all, I just let it warm up before I take her out.

FSM-185_12_lg.jpg

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
anyone can run any unit they like, no issue

But first step is to try the ad-e and see if it helps, you might not need or want because this is good enough for most of the masses

But if you want to go for the full hard core version, go for it.