Best Monitoring and Gauge App w/ MHD

ProjectE92

Aug 6, 2019
Ride
E92 N54 335i 6-Speed
What is the best and most accurate app(MHD, Protools, Torque, Carly, etc.) for monitoring and gauges?
I know MHD offers this feature, but it’s $69-99, so if there’s an alternative that works better, I would love to check it out before adding the MHD Monitoring Module.

Last edited:

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
I know MHD offers this feature, but it’s $69-99, so if there’s an alternative that works better, I would love to check it out before adding the MHD Monitoring Module.

IDK it sounds like you are being cheap or haven't took any time to research this issue. The only people who don't use MHD for data-logging are the guys running JB4 or standalone.

ProjectE92

Aug 6, 2019
Ride
E92 N54 335i 6-Speed
IDK it sounds like you are being cheap or haven't took any time to research this issue. The only people who don't use MHD for data-logging are the guys running JB4 or standalone.

Even though the section you quoted clearly states what I want to accomplish, you decided to once again assume. "if there’s an alternative that works better, I would love to check it out before adding the MHD Monitoring Module" seems pretty clear to me.

I have done the research. I have read numerous blog posts and post on multiple facebook groups including MHD, N54 Tuners, N54 Support, etc. I have seen a lot of articles talking about a the apps individually, but I have not seen any post directly comparing the different options. One of the options Protools is the same price as MHD, so this has less to do with money as it does with finding the right app for my needs. Why pay for 3-5 different apps when there are people out there with first hands experience that are willing to help others instead of trolling?

Edit: And you are a fellow Knight. :pensive:

JBacon335

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Toms River, NJ
Ride
07 335i Sedan, 1988 Mustang GT
go with MHD, it has the best update rate as far as I know because it logs the memory location rather than the PIDs that others do thru the canbus

ProjectE92

Aug 6, 2019
Ride
E92 N54 335i 6-Speed
go with MHD, it has the best update rate as far as I know because it logs the memory location rather than the PIDs that others do thru the canbus
Thank you. It seems like this might be the best option.

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
Even though the section you quoted clearly states what I want to accomplish, you decided to once again assume. "if there’s an alternative that works better, I would love to check it out before adding the MHD Monitoring Module" seems pretty clear to me.

I have done the research. I have read numerous blog posts and post on multiple facebook groups including MHD, N54 Tuners, N54 Support, etc. I have seen a lot of articles talking about a the apps individually, but I have not seen any post directly comparing the different options. One of the options Protools is the same price as MHD, so this has less to do with money as it does with finding the right app for my needs. Why pay for 3-5 different apps when there are people out there with first hands experience that are willing to help others instead of trolling?

You haven't done your research. You're asking a remedial question that would be similar to someone asking is Cobb still relevant on this platform. MHD has the most logging parameters and is the fastest hence why everybody uses it if they are flash only. Nobody seriously uses protools for datalogging. We use protools for coding and getting rid of that annoying TPMS light.

Bta

Sep 4, 2019
Ride
07 BMW 335i

Hey man, torque is good for monitoring man, really all you need. Autometer make a free app, that's what I would get, you can choose the shape and size let alone what it monitors. Hope it helps

• Disagree
Reactions: JBacon335

rjahl

Apr 9, 2018
Ride
BMW Z4 35is
The OP needs to be more specific. Engine logging with details and Frame rates for engine tuning, MHD is probably the best. For logging other modules like the TCU no so much. Custom flashy gauges on an iPhone not really good either.

I’m a rebel and use TestO for my logging. Frame rates are good and it allows TCU monitoring. I’ve even logged the air conditioner parameters when I had problems. For the N54 it’s missing a few parameters but I could sort them if I really wanted. It’s not a mobile app and requires a Windows laptop.

I’m not being cheep, I just like following the road less traveled. It’s the journey I enjoy.

The Toque app probably does not have the frame rate or parameters to be worth much.

My two cents....

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Mhd and testo or mhd and protocols are both needed imo of self tuning an auto cause protocols let's you see things like how much torque is pulled on a shift and for how long and not just if their are any limiters but what their value is. Also for trouble shooting it can pull up individual internal codes that a reg scan doesnt show like converter slightly slipping or transfer case faults that dont actually trigger a shadow or check engine light.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I do think people jumped gun tho cause to me looked like he was asking if their was anythonng better not necessarily cheaper. This is a forum and what's true a yr ago may be different now.