Best N54 Tuner

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Gauge hi jacking , on the fly adjustment. Honestly unless going single or pi it really isn't a big help . It adds complexity but also some features. It can make it easier for the user to dial in but if getting custom tune it don't matter. Used be only way for flex fuel to but that's no longer the case

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
So what are the pro s and con s of jb4 stacked setup compared to mhd only ?

pro for a jb4, in my eyes, is just being able to change boost target. but thats not important to me at all. so for me, all the pros go to the factory dme.

Gauge hi jacking , on the fly adjustment. Honestly unless going single or pi it really isn't a big help . It adds complexity but also some features. It can make it easier for the user to dial in but if getting custom tune it don't matter. Used be only way for flex fuel to but that's no longer the case

altering the rail pressure is not real flex fuel imo. and is why you need a dme flash to get it to work ok with jb4. unless im missing something but the "flex fuel wires" just hooked to the rail lpressure sensor.

Reactions: nz_92

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Jb4 had virtual flex fuel logic but it also had the ability to use a sensor and you could use auto tuning. It is a very safe way to get a decent custom tune experience without getting a custom tune done. It is a Jack of all trades master of none. For a DIY guy it's great to dumb down meth and pi or single turbo tuning.

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
I like being able to change boost target and set up map 6 on my phone, but the logging isn't the greatest imo.

Always wondering if a dialed in map 6 and modified bef can be as good as factory dme...

Kaane

Private
Jan 7, 2019
Ride
2008 535i
Which tuner actually responds to emails and does revisions within 48 hours?

I am working with Twisted Tuning on my 535i, but so far i am not super impressed. Zero response to emails and revisions are 5 to 10 days apart. I ordered a tune on May 16th. Today is June 29th and I am on 4th revision in over 40 days. I usually send logs back same day. Car still overboosts like crazy. I am sure he is a good tuner, but at this rate it will be 60+ days before the car is actually tuned... I have bigger twins and plain 93 tune, no port injection or e85. Anyone know a decent tuner that can tune in person? Dallas area.

DCook

Sergeant
May 25, 2018
Ride
08 BMW e92

I am working with Twisted Tuning on my 535i, but so far i am not super impressed. Zero response to emails and revisions are 5 to 10 days apart. I ordered a tune on May 16th. Today is June 29th and I am on 4th revision in over 40 days. I usually send logs back same day. Car still overboosts like crazy. I am sure he is a good tuner, but at this rate it will be 60+ days before the car is actually tuned... I have bigger twins and plain 93 tune, no port injection or e85. Anyone know a decent tuner that can tune in person? Dallas area.
Dont feel bad, many moons ago when i first went single, i paid, got one revision, had issues with the aic6 on my end, got it fixed, and never heard anything back at all. I just cut my losses on the money, and went to wedge. Ive just never said anything about it to twisted. Wedge is on vacation now, but hes very quick on return times, and excellent otherwise, wouldnt go anywhere else. V8bait is also very knowledgeable and helpful as well when we talked, but cant speak on return times. But also gotta remember, most of these guys have lives and main jobs, and they do this for us in their free time.

• Informative
Reactions: SSDD

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Whether theyre doing it in spare time or their main gig...Its your coin. If youre not getting what you want, go to another.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Have you emailed or messaged him with your concern on timing? I had similar issues but I had some times where it would be 2 weeks or even a month between replies.
I chose Justin because he is a tuner, not an N54 tuner. It's also his day job, for himself, not a side gig. I told him my frustrations and he has been very diligent since.

Contrast this with the tuner for my wife's Escalade. I sent them a log and heard nothing for 2 weeks at all. They said if you email them again, it puts you at the back of the line, which to me shows they don't know how to manage email.

To get a reply I had to post on the forum and message them on Facebook. They finally replied.
I know most here don't like him, but I would suggest Dean with rfp tuning. His tunes are not locked which is my biggest complaint.

Most times say you get a year of free updates. What then? Pay again? If it takes months to get a tune dialed in, is each reply offset in the year of support? With a locked tune you are at the mercy of that tuner. If they leave the platform, what do you do then? Pay again.

I'm probably going to take one of Dean's hybrid base tunes and tweak it myself. Then I can customize it to my heart's content.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: SSDD and SJ_1989

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d

I am working with Twisted Tuning on my 535i, but so far i am not super impressed. Zero response to emails and revisions are 5 to 10 days apart. I ordered a tune on May 16th. Today is June 29th and I am on 4th revision in over 40 days. I usually send logs back same day. Car still overboosts like crazy. I am sure he is a good tuner, but at this rate it will be 60+ days before the car is actually tuned...
Do you know the over posting is because of the tune versus an issue with your car?

Filippo

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
I'm probably going to take one of Dean's hybrid base tunes and tweak it myself. Then I can customize it to my heart's content.

That's what I'm leaning towards. I want to learn anyway. Been taking HPA's courses and reading my old textbook from an engine course I took in college as an elective. I offered to pay more for an unlocked tune from a few tuners but no dice, which is understandable. I don't want to be at the mercy of a tuner. It's my car, not theirs.

Reactions: matreyia
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
So for 2019. Justin of course is still our go-to, and has tuned all our shop cars, but he is very busy with med school etc. David Shoup seems to be a great guy, and we have heard good things, he is quick to respond, etc. Also we may have had our issues in the past, but these days, Wedge is a solid choice no matter what garbage you may read elsewhere. Those are Tony's/our top 3 choices for the N54, our .02...

Chris

Last edited:

Brule

Sergeant
Feb 20, 2017
Ride
335i 2007 6spd manual

Buraq does or used to. My record was 5 in 1 day.

Reactions: NoGuru

Brule

Sergeant
Feb 20, 2017
Ride
335i 2007 6spd manual
That's what I'm leaning towards. I want to learn anyway. Been taking HPA's courses and reading my old textbook from an engine course I took in college as an elective. I offered to pay more for an unlocked tune from a few tuners but no dice, which is understandable. I don't want to be at the mercy of a tuner. It's my car, not theirs.

Learning yourself is probably the best bet.

Nothing worse then paying for a tune and the tuner not giving you what you want.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I got rev 3 last night . 1 am in Omar's land and I recieved a message asking for logs few hrs ago and I only sent rev 2 logs yesterday. Guy response is as fast as his turbos.

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
On my website in the Custom tune product descriptions prior to even adding to your cart. I actually state that Base maps and tune revisions can take 1-5 business days, And also on rare occasions a bit longer (mainly due to workload at the time of sending logs). I put his there purposely so people can see it and decide if they can deal with that time frame prior to spending any money. Rather than spending money and finding out later.

If there was a time where a month went by with no response, i could guarantee it was due to a missed email or message. And not due to workload as associated with the normal advertised time frame. I try to be as transparent as possible with people.

I can see for some waiting a week or two, or even my advertised 1-5 business day can seem like a lot to the owners (which is actually less than many may think in the world of tuning), who are just waiting for a map revision. But i can assure you, when you're doing 200+ tunes in a week at time. Time does fly by. And thats just E-tunes, not even the in house dyno tuning and dyno tuning i do for other companies and all the other day to day normal stuff like development, general texts, calls, DM's, email, and etc from paying and non paying customers. .

There are many times where i do same day multiple revisions for people, sometimes next day. But unfortunately it doesn't always happen that way. Nothing im saying is being used as an excuse. its just real deal whats going on. And any time i take longer than usual i am apologetic to the customer, and its not just words, its actually meant.

Anyway, regardless of anything. I do my best to be responsive all the time and as fast as possible and i will continue to.

gmagnus7

Corporal
Dec 3, 2018
Ride
135i N54
Who has the most experience with tuning aftermarket cams for the N54, particularly for back end flashes?

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I look at it like this. If I get a new map back in 5 business days that is fine and very reasonable. If I wanted same day etc. Pay to hop on a dyno and reserve your tuners time. Custom tuning is so cheap if you want it faster just pay for it. Obviously 2-3 weeks is not acceptable.

Just go with a tuner who has a good rep.

Most of the tuners have day jobs and a family. So 5 business days seems very fair. Again, you want better just pay for it. Your custom tune is 100% more important than your knock off chinesium downpipes which cost the same if not more. Think about it.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Quality over quantity guys. Work with someone you can trust and that can deliver.

Filippo

Reactions: NoGuru