Best N54 Tuner

bantam

Corporal
Nov 20, 2017
Ride
2009 335i
V8bait can be in the 2 week plus range for a revision depending on when you catch him. I think for my next tune, I am going to book dyno time to get it dialed in. Hard to make time for all of the data logs and it really drags the process out

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Everyone that is good will tell you that they want tune on street before dyno cause dyno loads car diff and our cars dme eliminates benefits of dyno. Main reason afaik is because we don't run close to mbt for max power anyway so we dont really have risk of to much timing as we would be having corrections out the ass before started losing power from to much timing. I might be wrong but made sense to me and like I said I multiple times have been told this and even just rescheduled my friday appointment because my car wasnt dialed in yet so now I am going to make another appointment.

Reactions: matreyia

RNM

Corporal
Jun 3, 2019
J'entends beaucoup de bonnes choses de doc vu tuning
Qu'est-ce que tu penses?

3jtt6t.jpg

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
I apologize if the translation is not good or if my message is not clear ... this is not a reason to make fun of me;) ... just tell me
I wanted to have your opinion on DocVU tuning
is my question clearer now?
I had not seen that the translation had not been done ;)

Reactions: Torgus

RNM

Corporal
Jun 3, 2019
I apologize if the translation is not good or if my message is not clear ... this is not a reason to make fun of me;) ... just tell me

Your question is very clear now. I don't have any experience with the tuner you mentioned, however I am certain someone will chime in that has experience with the tuner you mentioned.

I personally use V8bait as my tuner and I am very happy with my choice.

seb.apprenti

Corporal
Nov 28, 2018
reunion island
Ride
335 i e92
Your question is very clear now. I don't have any experience with the tuner you mentioned, however I am certain someone will chime in that has experience with the tuner you mentioned.

I personally use V8bait as my tuner and I am very happy with my choice.
I really apologize, I hadn't seen that the translation hadn't been done ... I will be more vigilant now
thank you for your reply

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
I have a lot of friends that are tuned from DocVu and love his tunes and service.

Reactions: seb.apprenti

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54
EDIT: Thanks your finding and reading my post. Unfortunately, Spoolstreet is no longer a neutral platform where we can have honest discussions on subjects and products freely.
For this reason I have deleted all information I posted on the forums.

Last edited:

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
This is pretty much PAR for remote tuners. Inexcusable realty when you consider how much they charge and that tunes are locked.

No time like the present to learn to tune yourself

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
This is pretty much PAR for remote tuners. Inexcusable realty when you consider how much they charge and that tunes are locked.

No time like the present to learn to tune yourself

Yeah... I am starting to show interest in this path. I want to tweak so many things and I am overbearing on the tuners.

However, Ken has been amazing and has an employee to help with tunes. He gets a TON of tune requests and it takes him some time. I won't say that I have incredibly quick turn around but Ken listens and provides tunes for just about everything I ask for.

My DCT problems are the only sticking point I have with any tuner (throttle sensitivity, shifting, etc)... but the DCT sucks, can't blame Ken for that. The engine tuning has been incredible. :)

shushikiary

Sergeant
Jun 4, 2018
Ride
335xi
I can say from experience that self tuning on a MT car is pretty easy, it can just be time consuming.

To me the biggest hurdles are time and getting the right additions to the bin, then getting the right xdf. If you get a boost box for example, you'd need to get the boost box logic in a bin from Motiv, then you'll also need to get an XDF from them that lets you modify PWM output inversion, etc.

For DCT and AT it gets harder as you'll also want to tune the trans, and I don't know where to get the xdf for that... but I've never tried as I don't need it.

It takes a lot of time to tweak the tune your self, especially if you want it to work right across all temperatures and altitudes. I'm the same way that I'm picky about the way I want it so paying someone for a tune makes it take months and months to get it right. At the same time doing it my self, while faster in over all time, takes up way more of my time than I'd like.

So there's no winning. You just have to pick which trade off you're ok with. I REALLY wish tuners would give you an option to sign an NDA give you unlocked tunes or something, that way they can get you close enough, and you can take it from there, which would save an enormous amount of time and actually be worth the money.

Reactions: derekgates

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
I can say from experience that self tuning on a MT car is pretty easy, it can just be time consuming.

To me the biggest hurdles are time and getting the right additions to the bin, then getting the right xdf. If you get a boost box for example, you'd need to get the boost box logic in a bin from Motiv, then you'll also need to get an XDF from them that lets you modify PWM output inversion, etc.

For DCT and AT it gets harder as you'll also want to tune the trans, and I don't know where to get the xdf for that... but I've never tried as I don't need it.

It takes a lot of time to tweak the tune your self, especially if you want it to work right across all temperatures and altitudes. I'm the same way that I'm picky about the way I want it so paying someone for a tune makes it take months and months to get it right. At the same time doing it my self, while faster in over all time, takes up way more of my time than I'd like.

So there's no winning. You just have to pick which trade off you're ok with. I REALLY wish tuners would give you an option to sign an NDA give you unlocked tunes or something, that way they can get you close enough, and you can take it from there, which would save an enormous amount of time and actually be worth the money.

You are absolutely correct!

I would _LOVE_ the ability to spend a larger amount, get NDA'd and receive an unlocked tune that I could then use to tweak the tune further... a lot of my DCT problems are the need to constantly fine tune tables which Ken doesn't have time for. :)

That's a freaking cool idea, to get an NDA. I have to sign those anyway as a programmer.