Beware of ZNM Performance in Pompton Lakes NJ

The Banshee

Corporal
Nov 18, 2017
Lehigh Valley PA
Ride
2008 335xi coupe 6466 MT
Could you not sue him in small claims court multiple times? Once for the turbo kit, once for other items, once or labor, etc?

Good question but unfortunately no. Once you settle in Jersey small claims it’s VERY difficult to reopen another case in regards to the original proceeding.

JStock_BTN54

Lurker
Nov 3, 2016
Essex County NJ
To the owner of the black M4 with a blown engine sitting in the ZNM Performance lot…… God be with you.
Unfortunately I am not surprised to see this about that shop. I had my single turbo car in for some basic maintenance I was to lazy to do myself, and after getting it back it was clear to me I'd never go back. Things I found we're generic home Depot hardware screws bbeing used on the dampner, various nuts and bolts missing and unfassened. Overall lack of attention to detail, and pride in their work.

supra2k6

Lurker
Feb 24, 2018
Ride
e90 335i
Unfortunately I am not surprised to see this about that shop. I had my single turbo car in for some basic maintenance I was to lazy to do myself, and after getting it back it was clear to me I'd never go back. Things I found we're generic home Depot hardware screws bbeing used on the dampner, various nuts and bolts missing and unfassened. Overall lack of attention to detail, and pride in their work.

When i took in my car for a Turbo upgrade i literally took my cowls off to 1) make it easier 2) to not loose any bolts/screws and the only thing left on top was the engine cover they still managed to lose 1 of the hex bolts that hold that down.

Also they forgot to tight down my passenger side motor mount before my 4 hour trip back to DC. Mind you car was there for 6 months for a turbo upgrade. Of course this is nothing compared to the issue with the "new" Pure turbo but thats a whole other story.

Last edited:

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
If this guy has defrauded lots of people, and continues to do so, the Passaic County District Attorney may also be interested in learning about him.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I was gonna say I dont know about NJ but In ny and ct the attorney general can help and also consumer protection would be best place to contact as they will basically represent you.

N54whore

Lurker
Oct 26, 2018
Clear Ponzi scheme. He's handing you back someone else's money. What stays in his pocket is whoever doesn't go back to get what is a. Same story with the parts.

Filippo
Cant agree with you more... Sorry for anyones money i got now

Seems like a lot of bad blood on this thread, I can speak to my experiences (positive):

July 2017 - Matt did my e90 DocRace kit on my 2007 6MT with around 135k miles at the time, we did the turbo install, transmission refresh (seals and whatnot), all cooling system lines, wp/tstat, index 12s, starter, a bunch of other ancillaries. The car was done within the timeframe we discussed and other than a blowing a new Bosch O2 sensor everything was fine (Matt replaced the O2 at no charge per the lifetime warranty). I drove the car weekly between DC and NYC with no issues. There were a few really small things that I redid myself due to my OCD-ness, no complaints towards ZNM

March 2018 - Matt took my second n54 from stock to FBO and again general maintenance items + wp/tstat, index 12s...no issues with this car either, car was done on time as well.
Lol must of gotten lucky

Well every time I wanted to buy something of ZNM and asked him if he could send me a PayPal invoice please he said no he doesn’t do PayPal only debit or credit card ‍♂️ Oh well now I know lol
How ironic

Already on it brother. I have another plan in the works as well. I have yet to inspect the turbo to confirm it’s actually the new ball bearing 6466 I paid for. Car is in the shop now so when I get it back I will take it apart to check the housing numbers and inspect the internals to see what he installed. If he scammed me
on the turbo, which is very likely, I will be going for the over 3k option but I will have to pay for attorney. I can represent myself in the small claims option. I have a lawyer on retain at work so he has been helping me as Jersey consumer law is bit different. I am also working on another legal option as well. I have received pm’s from others who have not yet posted so more to come. The amount Matt has scammed from this community is staggering.
Hey brotha where are you from in Jersey ? Would like to meet up qnd talk some more if possible ?

Last edited by a moderator:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I am pretty sure this is the same ZNM Performance that was ran out of the rotary community.
Is this a turbo community thing? I ask because, having only been in the BMW turbo community for a few years, I came to realize there are two dimensional communities - the BMW World ... and the Turbo World. A lot of guys here are life long turbo guys, often across multiple platforms. Versus the traditional BMW 2002->E30->E36->E46 kind of thing. I say that because I haven't really seen product/tuner hop in the BMW World, across brands. But here I see it happens with tuners and shops and ... is that a turbo world thing?

Filippo

9krpmrx8

Lieutenant
Nov 5, 2016
San Antonio, Texas
I dunno man, it's just shitty people. I have been modding cars for 25 years starting with Turbo Z's, then Turbo Honda's, Then a Z28, then a rotaries and there are shitty dishonest vendors in every platform. I am sure this is the guy that started with rx7store.com, then went of on his own, then got a bad rep on his own, and then eventually ghosted. I then saw him pop up on this platform. But I see a lot of shady vendors on this platform that get a lot of love.

• Dumb
Reactions: phv628

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5

Made a video on my experience with ZNM. That's the link. Please share it so we can get this scam artist out of our community. I will be posting it on every bmw forum i know off.
You should add that he actually lied and stole from others on the video.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Automotive ponzi scheme. Can't imagine what else it is. How does money get in the owner's pocket? I suspect noisy enough people get some money back, really troublesome people get all of it back, and some people get nothing back. Somebody with this kind of track record is a very troubled person. Who knows how they got in this mess. Hard part with a ponzi scheme - it's musical chairs - once it starts, it doesn't unravel without collapsing.

Filippo

N54whore

Lurker
Oct 26, 2018
You should add that he actually lied and stole from others on the video.

I didnt want to go to hard in the video, but thats why i linked this forum for people to see for themselves, i also posted this on n54tech & boostaddicts ! I want this to go viral. There is no room for people like this in our community !

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
I didnt want to go to hard in the video, but thats why i linked this forum for people to see for themselves, i also posted this on n54tech & boostaddicts ! I want this to go viral. There is no room for people like this in our community !
you should post on E90P**T.com where he started few threads (NJ thread)on installs.I think thats where it will put a dent.

The Banshee

Corporal
Nov 18, 2017
Lehigh Valley PA
Ride
2008 335xi coupe 6466 MT
Since I started this thread, I never imagined what was going on in the background with ZNM Performance. It begs the question of how did this happen and how could someone scam so many of us? I am thousands deep in this and continue to ask myself how I got here. I have 20+ years of successful business acumen and experience. I have dealt with plenty of scammers, liars, and all types of fraud over the years. I have seen it all and have never been scammed by anyone…until now.

When you first meet Matt, he represents himself very well. He is very polished and offers a sense of trust and transparency about his business. Take a look at how well written the link below is. This will give you an idea on how well Matt portrays himself and his business when you first meet him.

http://znmperformance.com/about-znm/

My wife and I even had a nice chat with Matt and his girlfriend Elyse during a visit when we were wrapping up all the details before starting. It seemed very legit at this point. It was a few weeks later that I would receive the B.S. call about needing a new head. Matt is a good planner and waited until I was working out of the country to pull it off. Matt is a particularly cunning liar/scammer. He is a master at stall tactic lies and will look you right in the eye as he scams you with no regret whatsoever.

Matt is especially tactful in how he controls customer communication and reviews, both online and on social media. I researched him quite thoroughly end of last year on the forums. There was no negative feedback or reviews that I could find at all. When I started to suspect he was lying to me, I started searching deeper outside the forums. I came across a few negative stories on Yelp reviews that put me in contact with a previous customer of Matt’s who tipped me off. Matt immediately contacted that customer trying everything he could to have him take the review off of Yelp which the customer did not.

When you finally have enough and you confront Matt, he will apologize and he will try to make you think your incident is isolated. He will promise to fix it and make it right for you no matter what it takes. This usually encompasses something very big for free that you did not pay for; or he will tell you he is not charging you any labor for the inconvenience. Big promises! These deals are very attractive, but in the end will only lead to more excuses and deeper bullshit. Eventually his communication will fade. Excuses like “I will send it as soon as I land” or “Sorry I just saw this text” 3 days later will become the norm. His plan is to string you along until the situation just fades away and you give up or you are too embarrassed to post, or just want to move on.

As I said, Matt is very keen and will go to great lengths to keep any negative information from spreading, especially online. When I created the thread, Matt contacted me within hours by sending me the compensation email I referred to in my original post. Funny how he claims he sent it twice over several days and I have received nothing. Funny how this email offer arrived within hours of creating this thread and the first two never were to found. See below.

I’ve sent this twice from my work email to you. Alternatively you could’ve called me saying you haven’t received anything. In any event I have no issue proceeding with this, but not in a manner of having our entire correspondence online. If you’d like to remove it and sign/date the attachment I sent to you and send back to me so we both have copies, I’ll happily proceed with having the form notarized.

According to Matt, once he has the letter notarized, and sends it to me, he will then be forced to pay me back. LOL!!

Interestingly enough, we now jumped from a 3k refund on the turbo kit to $8,900 according to the letter??? Again, Matt is going to take this letter, with my copied signature, to a notary to be notarized, and then send me a copy? I can get $8,900 as long as I sign it, take our correspondence offline, and send it to Matt!!! Well I didn’t bite and we are now up to 15k in restitution per Matt. All I need to do is sign, send the letter to Matt, and remove the thread!!!!

As I said before, great lengths to control online damage. He keeps you on the hook with apologies and promises.....It all seems so genuine. Matt will make this right for me!! 15k!!!!!!

That is how Matt kept feeding the scheme. Madoff style.

N54whore

Lurker
Oct 26, 2018
Since I started this thread, I never imagined what was going on in the background with ZNM Performance. It begs the question of how did this happen and how could someone scam so many of us? I am thousands deep in this and continue to ask myself how I got here. I have 20+ years of successful business acumen and experience. I have dealt with plenty of scammers, liars, and all types of fraud over the years. I have seen it all and have never been scammed by anyone…until now.

When you first meet Matt, he represents himself very well. He is very polished and offers a sense of trust and transparency about his business. Take a look at how well written the link below is. This will give you an idea on how well Matt portrays himself and his business when you first meet him.

http://znmperformance.com/about-znm/

My wife and I even had a nice chat with Matt and his girlfriend Elyse during a visit when we were wrapping up all the details before starting. It seemed very legit at this point. It was a few weeks later that I would receive the B.S. call about needing a new head. Matt is a good planner and waited until I was working out of the country to pull it off. Matt is a particularly cunning liar/scammer. He is a master at stall tactic lies and will look you right in the eye as he scams you with no regret whatsoever.

Matt is especially tactful in how he controls customer communication and reviews, both online and on social media. I researched him quite thoroughly end of last year on the forums. There was no negative feedback or reviews that I could find at all. When I started to suspect he was lying to me, I started searching deeper outside the forums. I came across a few negative stories on Yelp reviews that put me in contact with a previous customer of Matt’s who tipped me off. Matt immediately contacted that customer trying everything he could to have him take the review off of Yelp which the customer did not.

When you finally have enough and you confront Matt, he will apologize and he will try to make you think your incident is isolated. He will promise to fix it and make it right for you no matter what it takes. This usually encompasses something very big for free that you did not pay for; or he will tell you he is not charging you any labor for the inconvenience. Big promises! These deals are very attractive, but in the end will only lead to more excuses and deeper bullshit. Eventually his communication will fade. Excuses like “I will send it as soon as I land” or “Sorry I just saw this text” 3 days later will become the norm. His plan is to string you along until the situation just fades away and you give up or you are too embarrassed to post, or just want to move on.

As I said, Matt is very keen and will go to great lengths to keep any negative information from spreading, especially online. When I created the thread, Matt contacted me within hours by sending me the compensation email I referred to in my original post. Funny how he claims he sent it twice over several days and I have received nothing. Funny how this email offer arrived within hours of creating this thread and the first two never were to found. See below.

I’ve sent this twice from my work email to you. Alternatively you could’ve called me saying you haven’t received anything. In any event I have no issue proceeding with this, but not in a manner of having our entire correspondence online. If you’d like to remove it and sign/date the attachment I sent to you and send back to me so we both have copies, I’ll happily proceed with having the form notarized.

According to Matt, once he has the letter notarized, and sends it to me, he will then be forced to pay me back. LOL!!

Interestingly enough, we now jumped from a 3k refund on the turbo kit to $8,900 according to the letter??? Again, Matt is going to take this letter, with my copied signature, to a notary to be notarized, and then send me a copy? I can get $8,900 as long as I sign it, take our correspondence offline, and send it to Matt!!! Well I didn’t bite and we are now up to 15k in restitution per Matt. All I need to do is sign, send the letter to Matt, and remove the thread!!!!

As I said before, great lengths to control online damage. He keeps you on the hook with apologies and promises.....It all seems so genuine. Matt will make this right for me!! 15k!!!!!!

That is how Matt kept feeding the scheme. Madoff style.

Dont worry bud i got your back ! Went through the same bullshit. I posted my own version on my youtube channel as well as multiple forums. Im hoping my video goes viral cause i posted this forum in there also.