Big EFR N55 E92 Build

VACust

Corporal
Dec 1, 2016
US - Utah
1E964208-8C28-4EE8-8857-956385AA4190.jpeg
This is a build thread for my 2012 E92 335i. The car is a white 335i AT M-Sport with 67k miles. It’s also a late/post 03/2012 so it has the later DME and F-chassis/Bosch HPFP. I had been running MHD stage 2+ with down pipe, and previously MHD BEF & JB4 w/BMS meth, VRSF 7.5” intercooler and all of the standard mods to go with it. I’m installing a SpeedTech Stg 3 with EFR 8374 this week, next week is a TTFS +66% HPFP. Tuning has been through Ken at @WedgePerformance , he’s a great guys and has been a huge help. I’d also like to say @Jeff@Speedtech has been great as well. My experiences with Jeff, Ken, @Terry@BMS & Frank at @TuningTechFS has been BY FAR the best experience I’ve had on a car build. Parts list so far and parts to come are below.

Current parts going on or already on the first week:
SpeedTech Stg 3 EFR 8374
HKS Legamax cat back
Fuel-It Stage 3 bucketless LPFP
BMP PI 750cc Bosch (more on this later)
BMS PI controller
Fuel-It lines and continental sensor
JB4
Wedge/MHD BEF
N20 TMAP
VRSF 7.5” intercooler
BMS charge pipe
BMS CAI
BMS OCC
Precision Race Works N55 ignition coils
NGK 97506 gapped @ 0.022”
Clark Rear diff brace
H&R sport springs
CSF Radiator

Quite a difference from stock to the EFR 8374

Last edited:
Reactions: doublespaces

VACust

Corporal
Dec 1, 2016
US - Utah
6C166093-8AC3-4CEA-A61B-D4A54240B360.jpeg
There was some concern about fitment of the 8374. It’s close but fits. I’m thinking I may have to add a 3mm shim/washer to the passenger side motor mount and or go with solid mounts.

VACust

Corporal
Dec 1, 2016
US - Utah
Just bought an S55 short block. Looks like engine build this winter. Plan to put in new pistons and rods. N55 ported head.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I really like this build, if I had an N55 this is probably a very similar path to what I'd do as well.

Just bought an S55 short block. Looks like engine build this winter. Plan to put in new pistons and rods. N55 ported head.

Does the S55 block carry over to the N55?

VACust

Corporal
Dec 1, 2016
US - Utah
I really like this build, if I had an N55 this is probably a very similar path to what I'd do as well.

Thanks.

Does the S55 block carry over to the N55?

I’ve been told the head bolts on by some and I’ve also been told “I’m not sure”. If for some reason the head doesn’t bolt on I have a forged crank. If that has issues I’ll have a spare short block for my next build so I won’t be out anything to try. I really want the closed deck, forged crank and water pump from an S55 block and I’ve also been looking for an M4 or even an M3 with the right options and color.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I’ve been told the head bolts on by some and I’ve also been told “I’m not sure”. If for some reason the head doesn’t bolt on I have a forged crank. If that has issues I’ll have a spare short block for my next build so I won’t be out anything to try. I really want the closed deck, forged crank and water pump from an S55 block and I’ve also been looking for an M4 or even an M3 with the right options and color.

A closed deck would be awesome, I'm surprised I haven't seen this sort of discussion before. The F80 is about to be old news, so prices will continue to get better and better. For anyone wanting to buy a new M3/M4, you better save your money because there is a good chance the G80 will be the last M3 where a combustion engine is the primary source of propulsion. The mechanical aftermarket is going to become even more niche.

VACust

Corporal
Dec 1, 2016
US - Utah
A closed deck would be awesome, I'm surprised I haven't seen this sort of discussion before. The F80 is about to be old news, so prices will continue to get better and better. For anyone wanting to buy a new M3/M4, you better save your money because there is a good chance the G80 will be the last M3 where a combustion engine is the primary source of propulsion. The mechanical aftermarket is going to become even more niche.
Hopefully it's for the better overall in the end.

VACust

Corporal
Dec 1, 2016
US - Utah
So the turbo is in, everything fit somehow and I just need to pick up some down pipe to exhaust gasket in the morning and it’s tome to start it up and check for leaks. It's tight as hell but it all fits. Had to leave the T-stat housing loose from the water pump but once all the hoses were trimmed and clamped it doesn’t move anywhere. I wouldn't recommend someone without a little fab experience or someone inexperienced doing things like this try to tackle the 8374 in an E chassis but it is doable. Some of the coolant lines touch a little but nothing I'm worried about. I'll probably find an oil return line with a little S shape to it later this week because the oil return is a little tighter than I like by the compressor housing. I had a VRSF 7.5” intercooler and the charge pipe that came with the kit was for a 2.5” intercooler inlet so I bought a PSP 900 for a cleaner install. Jeff knows about the hose change needed for VRSF intercoolers and he’s making the flare and extension needed on the charge pipes. I’m selling a near new VRSF 7.5” if anyone needs one.

Last edited:

VACust

Corporal
Dec 1, 2016
US - Utah
I do want to say Jeff has been a big help through the install. We knew this was going to be super tight and thought it might have even needed a modification to the frame rail in the beginning. I hope the S55 short block works like I’ve been told. The cooling system on an S55 block would really clean up how tight coolant hose situation is. No more external water pump and T-stat would be ideal with this large of a turbo.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I do want to say Jeff has been a big help through the install. We knew this was going to be super tight and thought it might have even needed a modification to the frame rail in the beginning. I hope the S55 short block works like I’ve been told. The cooling system on an S55 block would really clean up how tight coolant hose situation is. No more external water pump and T-stat would be ideal with this large of a turbo.

Do you have information on this water pump? I found photos of it on ECS but it looks like a mechanical pump now? Where is it located?

VACust

Corporal
Dec 1, 2016
US - Utah
Do you have information on this water pump? I found photos of it on ECS but it looks like a mechanical pump now? Where is it located?
Posted a crappy photo but it should give you an idea of how it would clean up the rats nest where N55/N54 electric pumps are.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Interesting. I wonder if this is transferable to the N54/N55? I suppose the controls of the electronic parts would not work anymore.

VACust

Corporal
Dec 1, 2016
US - Utah
So somehow it worked out that my cousin had a PSP 900 waiting to go on his car but has bad turbos so I didn’t have to wait for another PSP to be ready to pick up. Jeff at Speedtech is looking into adding length to the charge pipe hose that can be trimmed shorter if you use a stock style connection. The PSP was the best way to go with this kit, it’s a low volume seller as far as turbo kits go right now and if I was Jeff I would make a 3” version yet. We used a piece of another 2.5” aluminum charge pipe and extended the inlet 1.750” it fits perfect. Maybe @Dusty Waterfall / PSP could be talked into adding 1.750” to the inlet side for Speedtech kit owners as an option.
D5417175-B64F-4AEC-8D85-74885CA10EA3.jpeg

Reactions: mangospringroll

VACust

Corporal
Dec 1, 2016
US - Utah
Waiting for a TTFS HPFP to get here. Frank had it shipped to my office while we were both on vacation but it didn’t show. He’s trying to track it down right now. Hopefully something small happened and it didn’t get lost in shipping.