Technical BL Coil Investigation and Solution

Jacobniell

Lurker
Jan 11, 2017
Any one who have a link to a kit to replace the adapters printed? Mine broke the first time I tried to get them out, and yes I used the screwdriver as tool as shown from BL.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Any one who have a link to a kit to replace the adapters printed? Mine broke the first time I tried to get them out, and yes I used the screwdriver as tool as shown from BL.
Not yet. I'm expecting to see these available soon. Right now we are using a bit of electrical tape as insurance on the connectors. Even though tack temp is low on the tape, it seems to work well enough. You can use a small cable tie if you wish.

When the new connectors are available, we'll post info here for sure ...

Filippo

Jacobniell

Lurker
Jan 11, 2017
Not yet. I'm expecting to see these available soon. Right now we are using a bit of electrical tape as insurance on the connectors. Even though tack temp is low on the tape, it seems to work well enough. You can use a small cable tie if you wish.

When the new connectors are available, we'll post info here for sure ...

Filippo
Thanks Filippo, please let me know when they are available as I would like to have the problem solved professionally solved, as we use the car as a daily drivers car. The family is if all goes well planing on a 4000 km long trip, so would like to have the problem solved before then ;0)
Best

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
there are pry points on the connectors, when utilized they come apart fine. Small flat screwdriver and being careful, ive had mine in and out about 5 times without breaking them. First i depress/ pry the tab in the yellow circle, then i move on to separate the two connectors by prying in the gap in blue. After separating a little bit you can pull them apart. I think even the oem coil design had a depress/ pry mechanism, so we can't really expect these to not have a catch point. Of course if you dont depress it and pull hard enough it does break apart, probably shit printing process or adhesive, but problem is avoidable
That is only true if you got a set of connectors that were printed properly as I had mentioned. If you got a bad set, then you can literally push them with one finger and very little force, and the thing breaks apart.

• Agree
Reactions: fmorelli

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I suspect these will be printed with a higher quality material and also with better settings so they will be sturdy. And a little QC will go a long ways in ensuring people get connectors that will survive at least a few disconnections.
upload_2018-5-12_13-21-17.png

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
Can we use the R8 coils without the second external shielding ? That would simplify things a bit.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Can we use the R8 coils without the second external shielding ? That would simplify things a bit.
The outer metal shielding on the R8 coil is not necessary on the N54. If you look, you can see that there is shielding already installed in the spark plug shaft. This is why the factory Eldor coils don't have external shielding. You'll notice on the "fix" procedure in the first page, we cut away the shielding that interferes with seating the plug. This is necessary because the plug does not actually seat perpendicular to the shaft, so the plug body is not parallel to the shaft - the coil needs flexibility to bend and mate to the plug.

Filippo

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
Ok thanks, i think it's easier to just pull the secondary shielding than to cut it.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
We tried to pull it on the R8 coils and had difficulty doing so. Would have been our preference as well. If you figure out how to easily pull it, post a photo or two and an explanation if you would. Thanks!

Filippo

Reactions: Cheezy

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
We tried to pull it on the R8 coils and had difficulty doing so. Would have been our preference as well. If you figure out how to easily pull it, post a photo or two and an explanation if you would. Thanks!

Filippo

On the Delphi coils, which look identical to the OEM ones, ones you pop the bottom two connectors you can just pull it straight down.

It took me only a few minutes to modify all my coils. Honestly I don’t see what the big deal is. Some people just shouldn’t work on cars I guess

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
This is the internet bro. Anonymity has removed any notion of interpersonal skills.

We all lift.

We are all millionaires.

We all bang supermodels.

And all our dogs know how to pick up their own shit in the park.

How dare you come forward and break the illusion.
You forgot to mention that my dick is bigger than yours too.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus and Cheezy

08_335i

Sergeant
Nov 3, 2016
Ride
2008 ST 335i
On the Delphi coils, which look identical to the OEM ones, ones you pop the bottom two connectors you can just pull it straight down.

It took me only a few minutes to modify all my coils. Honestly I don’t see what the big deal is. Some people just shouldn’t work on cars I guess
So.... What does "modifying only took me a few minutes mayne, you suck my balls cuz i wurk on mah own stoofed beamer" have to do with the fact we all paid for an inadequate, should not be ran under real time useage, overpriced walmart 3d printed products? No where did it state "bro, you're gonna have to electrical tape this 3 digit harness, and cut the coils up to make this "shit" work". I've done multiple single turbo installs on these cars, and I still don't agree with having to modify every part of this product we all paid good money for. Ability to work on these cars has nothing to do with buying dog shit at a premium.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus