Technical BL Coil Investigation and Solution

JBacon335

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Toms River, NJ
Ride
07 335i Sedan, 1988 Mustang GT
Well I popped a new modded coil in there and it's all good. The one I pulled out had a carbon tracked hole in the boot. Big white spot with a pinole in the middle, that was a dead giveaway.

Reactions: kayzrx82

miller335i

Private
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
Bmw 335i e90 2007
Any updates to speak about, new issues or solutions to know about BL coils and the like?

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Any updates to speak about, new issues or solutions to know about BL coils and the like?
Nah, not really. Either follow the method @fmorelli and team came up with or buy the coils I posted about like me, @Rob09msport and several others are now running. Personally I'd say go the latter route because you'll save some cash and get a newer revision of the coils, but the first method is pretty easy still.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I havent heard of any issues with the 2.0 harness, and mine has handled plenty of plugging/unplugging personally. After I did my whole write up with measurements I re did everything in order to tuck the cables better, then re did it again to put covering over the wires for an even cleaner look and have had to pop them off here and there for this and that, all solid still.

Reactions: JimboFresh206

JimboFresh206

Sergeant
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335/635/535/533/633
Sweet!

I ordered the m18 valve cover and thought they might be a nice touch, but was hesitant on the harness :)

miller335i

Private
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
Bmw 335i e90 2007
Ok I am having issues getting the BL coils to work with my DP fix. Any suggestions?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I continue to have people contact me with issues with the bimmerlife ignition systems having misfires. The latest conversation - the owner was told by bimmerlife Tuning's owner that modifying the stock R8 coils is unnecessary. It is amazing to me, given what has been measured and clearly demonstrated, that the vendor would either ignore the information or worse, mislead people in the name of sales. I'm happy to help other people in the community - but being bimmerlife tunings technical support department is not what I had in mind.

My advice, after countless emails and PMs over the past year - don't buy products from a vendor that either doesn't understand what they are selling, or willfully misleads.

Filippo

Last edited:

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I continue to have people contact me with issues with the bimmerlife ignition systems having misfires. The latest conversation - the owner was told by bimmerlife Tuning's owner that modifying the stock R8 coils is unnecessary. It is amazing to me, given what has been measured and clearly demonstrated, that the vendor would either ignore the information or worse, mislead people in the name of sales. I'm happy to help other people in the community - but being bimmerlife tunings technical support department is not what I had in mind.

My advice, after countless emails and PMs over the past year - don't buy products from a vendor that either doesn't understand what they are selling, or willfully misleads.

Filippo
I sent him all of the info from my research too on using the newer revision coils which require much less modification and seat perfectly and was told thank you and they'd look into switching to the newer revision - its definitely disappointing that they never did and continue to say the shielded coils fit perfectly. I really like my coil setup and have had no issues whatsoever, but I also only bought their harness because I knew the issues with the coils they provided. It's a shame that's the only option we have for smart coils at the moment.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
The r8 coils are actually very close to r35 I output and easier to source also alot of fake r35 coils. You should be able to run r35 with the bl coil chipset doing conversion for you just would prob need proper dwell.

Reactions: JimboFresh206

JimboFresh206

Sergeant
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335/635/535/533/633
Why would you need the BL chipset? The r35 coil is a "dumb" coil afaik.

Not trying to be difficult, just wanted to play around with this when I got some free time (non existent) lol

• Funny
Reactions: fmorelli

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Think im right tho
Found another
Also even aem coils only make 108mj and 40kv so less on both fronts. Also at 7 k I am not sure you can run 6ms or 8ms dwell that you need for alot of other coils that are high in power.

Last edited:

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
[/URL]

273 vs 280 mj and that's at 2.5 dwell on r8 when 2.8 is ideal for best output idk what the mhd checkbox sets it to @jayoma @wedge @V8bait I am sure one of them know the dwell set by pr and r8 checkboxes respectively.

That calculates power on the primary coil, it's not a measured output. Actual power from the secondary coil will be much less and can range from 20 to 40% of that value. R8 coils generally test out at 60 to 70mJ similar to LS, GTR at 80 to 90, AEM smart coil 100-110mJ, PR dumb 120 to 130mJ.

Longer dwells can help with higher efficiency (but limit duty cycle), magnet selection for the core, and other things. More wraps on the secondary increase peak voltage and decrease energy transfer as well. All you can really measure from the primary is dwell and current loading. The rest is estimated but it's a good write up.

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
That calculates power on the primary coil, it's not a measured output. Actual power from the secondary coil will be much less and can range from 20 to 40% of that value. R8 coils generally test out at 60 to 70mJ similar to LS, GTR at 80 to 90, AEM smart coil 100-110mJ, PR dumb 120 to 130mJ.

Longer dwells can help with higher efficiency (but limit duty cycle), magnet selection for the core, and other things. More wraps on the secondary increase peak voltage and decrease energy transfer as well. All you can really measure from the primary is dwell and current loading. The rest is estimated but it's a good write up.
So pr are much more powerful? I thought the r8 had higher voltage but pr more output. Also do you know what the stock coils output?
Last would you Ever recommend anyone upgrade from bl to pr ? I know people were getting away with larger gaps on bl at one point but if pr has better duration I should think that would make more power and cleaner burn.

JimboFresh206

Sergeant
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335/635/535/533/633
@Rob09msport those kits you linked are for cars with an external ignitor setup like you see on alot Japanese cars. Doesn't the msd80/81 have 6 on board bip373 like the ms4.x DMEs?

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
@Rob09msport those kits you linked are for cars with an external ignitor setup like you see on alot Japanese cars. Doesn't the msd80/81 have 6 on board bip373 like the ms4.x DMEs?
Isn't that the point ? Bl bypasses the use of igtb in dme and these eliminate the external ignitor. That's why these can work without software changes since they can grab signal. Bl has to convert the signal but also somehow shut off the high output from dme. Not sure how it works but idk. I don't have first hand knowledge but seems pretty obvious to me even by your statement I almost don't know if your trolling me.