Boost Leak Test Results

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
This could be stupid but wouldnt it be better to try to test with vacuum cause when their is neg pressure it helps the silicone seal since it sucks in kinda like drains getting stuff stuck and clogging as opposed to pressure that can push open things ?

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Not a bad thought, but that would collapse silicone inlets and potentially break or crush the stock plastic ones unless there was a leak...and you wouldn't want to help seal any potential small leaks that would be there under pressure on the charge side. The ideal way would be connecting directly to the compressor inlets or the outlet pipe and push your max boost pressure with smoke through it, but that's a lot of work.

If you're relatively sure the turbo to outlet pipe connection is good, could maybe just go straight on the IC inlet and skip taking the airbox off, plugging inlets, PCV, etc. That would leave only normally pressurized areas in the test (except the turbo outlet to IC connection). Logger should even record the pressure from the TMAP during these tests now that I think about it.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I would only consider for the cold side ,hot side def would want pressure I agree on that 100 percent.

frontside0815

Corporal
Nov 9, 2016
Germany
Any News here? When i installed new Turbos i also did a leak test and had exactly the same symptoms...
But my logs Show no leak at all, wgdc, boost, afr everything is totally fine.