N57 Bosch CP4 HPFP Bypass Kit?

• Server Time was corrected, might see weird timestamps for a few hours.

fmorelli

Major
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
@[email protected] have your guys taken a look at CP4 bypass? I know reports in BMW-land are not high on this failure. I had it - $14,000 repair by dealer. But BMW N57s are not so common, hence the low report rate by Internet sampling. Look at Cummins, Ford - lots of CP4 failures (same pump). There are products out there including CP3 downgrade an CP4 fuel bypass kit.

I don't see why a CP4 bypass kit would not work for the BMW, from another platform, except for packaging and fuel routing connections.

Re-route kit such as: http://www.engineered-diesel.com/cp4-2-fuel-reroute-disaster-prevention-kit-powerstroke-6-7l

Here's how it works:

Your guys have any thoughts on this? BMW has extended N57 HPFP to 120k as I understand it. But nonetheless this is cheap insurance. Me and my N57 buddies are running lubricity additives with each tankful; who knows if it helps.

Filippo

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

Rob09msport

Lieutenant
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Also I'm sure DIY would be fraction BMW tends to throw kitchen sink In with repairs , it's one reasons they have best warranty service out their.

fmorelli

Major
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Also I'm sure DIY would be fraction BMW tends to throw kitchen sink In with repairs , it's one reasons they have best warranty service out their.
Problem is ... CP4 pump is in all modern diesels - Cummins, Powerstroke, TDI ... all suffer the same consequence. Can't get out of replacing everything because metal shrapnel can not be guaranteed to be cleaned out of everything. $10k+ is common repair cost.

On the trucks they have a bypass kit to reduce the damage. They also have a CP3 downgrade (that pump much more reliable). But no one has done it for the German cars, that I know of.

Filippo