Ad: BPM4 (LPFP) Fuel Pump Control Module Released

EOSpeed

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Chicago, IL
As many of you may have heard, we have been working with Torqbyte on developing of a fully integrated PT-CAN -based LPFP control module for performance-minded owners that prefer doing things the right way rather than entrusting their car’s fueling to other less technologically advanced solutions on the market. Let's face it, the fuel system is the lifeblood of your motor and you should upgrade it with the best technology on the market. The BPM4 is a complete replacement solution for your factory EKP unit, which is design-limited to the factory fuel pump and thus unable to drive high capacity aftermarket fuel pumps without overheating. BPM4 interfaces directly with the vehicle PT-CANBus using supplied Plug-n-Play wiring that mates with the existing that normally goes to the factory EKP. Installation is clean and doesn’t require disturbing or modifying to the factory EKP wiring. The BPM4 communicates directly with the DME and is able to drive one, two or even three Walbro 525's under full DME control. This ability to run multiple high-capacity aftermarket pumps while maintaining full DME control over the low pressure closed loop control system that the vehicle was designed with, is something no other solution on the market offers.

ekp.jpg

Why you need this:
BPM4 controller allows you to retain the factory closed loop fuel pressure control loop, while running 1, 2 or 3 high-capacity aftermarket pumps. If you’re looking to set new platform power records or simply upgrade your fuel system in a safe and reliable manner, look no further than the BPM4. Other solutions that utilize a Hobbs switch to activate additional fuel pumps actually work against the DME closed loop pressure control system. When the Hobbs switch activates, the DME is faced with a step increase in line pressure that it reacts to by lowering the output duty of the pump still under its control. The end result of this approach are massive fuel pressure oscillations caused by the DME software frantically attempting to servo the low system fuel pressure towards the target pressure levels.

The factory EKPM is limited to 18A of current before it overheats and shuts off the pump. This intermittent operation reduces its life and reliability. The only way to avoid this is to artificially lower the peak duty levels via DME tuning, which leaves spare pump capacity “on the table” and defeats any benefits of running a larger aftermarket pump.

BPM4_Graphics_1.png

BPM4 can safely deliver peak currents as high as 50A with steady state currents of 40A without cuts or overheating meaning that attached pumps can be operated at 100% duty indefinitely.
The BPM4 controller is a simple plug and play unit that will solve all of your low pressure fueling needs. The unit comes standard with 40amp fuses but can be upgraded to 50amp depending on your configuration.

BPM4_Graphics_2.png

BPM4_Graphics_3.png

The free TorqBFM PC software can be used to adjust the ratio of DME demanded duty vs. actual pump duty which is known as the unit slope. This slope can be left at factory EKMP levels or can be adjusted higher or lower depending on the demands of your set-up.
TorqVFM_SlopeGraphic.png

TorqBFM PC software also allows the user to Live View, Log and Play Back various vehicle parameters that include DME commanded duty, actual pump duty and RPM. With additional optional hardware it is also possible to log LPFP pressure and pump current. TorqBFM is an invaluable tool for diagnosing the fuel system and validating the DME tune is performing as expected (for example, not pulling back commanded duty at peak engine loading).

viewTorqBFM.jpg

TorqBFM PC software also allows users to manually override the fuel pumps to any desired output duty desire. Thus may be useful for diagnosing mechanical or wiring issues with the LPFP system. Please note that this feature can cause a lot of damage if misused since it will ignore all DME commands. It should be used only for short tests and only by qualified and experienced users with an in-depth understanding of the LPFP system operation and dangers associated with using (or misusing) this feature.
TorqVFM_OutputOverrides.png

Feature Summary:
- allows the DME to directly control 1, 2 or 3 low pressure fuel pumps (450's or 525's) in a manner the vehicle was designed
- Compatible with all DME tuning suites (or no tuning at all)
- Free TorqBFM PC software allows slope control giving the user/tuner full control over the LPFP fuel system operation
- Full Plug -n-Play solution mates with the factory EKP harnessing
- PT-CANBus integration allows full DME control over the LPFP system, including failsafe mode etc...
- TorqBFM PC software allows logging of RPM, fuel pump duty cycles, and even an added analog input for a second low pressure fuel sensor or a current sensing device offered separately.
- Eliminates the need for alternative solutions such as Hobb's switches
- Supplied with all the wiring necessary for fuel pump and battery power/ground hookup, along with fuses and fuse holders
- Housed in a rugged CNC'd billet aluminum, anodized controller housing
- Completely designed, built and tested in North America (USA and Canada)
- Eliminates the need for return lines or external regulators when paired with our soon-to-be-released LPFP fuel system.
-comes standard with 10ga wiring from BPM4 to battery and 10ga wiring from BPM4 to pumps.

When can I buy it?
We will be taking pre-order reservations starting immediately, with first orders being shipped mid December 2018. As with all of our products, we will not accept money from you until the items are scheduled to ship. Pre-order will simply be a running list for us, with your name and email address. If you are interested please send email to [email protected]

Last edited:

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Nobody will be worried about fuel starvation due to being bucketless with this, you can power right on past any limitation induced by a bucket. I personally hate my bucketless pump, frequently my vehicle has a fuel cut and the gas light hasn't came on yet. Solution is better pumps and pump control, bucket deletes help but not the right way to do it IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

Mikejones1208

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
Savannah, GA
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
Nobody will be worried about fuel starvation due to being bucketless with this, you can power right on past any limitation induced by a bucket. I personally hate my bucketless pump, frequently my vehicle has a fuel cut and the gas light hasn't came on yet. Solution is better pumps and pump control, bucket deletes help but not the right way to do it IMO.
I was under the impression that the buckets limiting factor was the venturi itself and overall bucket volume, twin 450's can drain a bucket quick and the vetnturi effect can only replenish the bucket so fast? I may be wrong just looking for some clarification, didn't realise it was the fuel pump control that was limiting it

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I was under the impression that the buckets limiting factor was the venturi itself and overall bucket volume, twin 450's can drain a bucket quick and the vetnturi effect can only replenish the bucket so fast? I may be wrong just looking for some clarification, didn't realise it was the fuel pump control that was limiting it

I didn't mean to say the controller itself was making the difference, but it does allow for a clean way to install pumps which are large enough, the restriction caused by a bucket(and associated venturi to fill said bucket) is insignificant. You can do this already but for some people like myself who aren't a fan of the hobbs, its now a setup that can be run within my specifications.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
For those of us who are currently using a Hobbs switch is there going to be an easy way to convert to this somehow? I know you're making your own billet bucket too but will that be necessary or no? Not only do I like the idea of this way more than using a Hobbs but I just realized your shop is within driving distance for me, so it'd be cool to pick one up and support a local vendor.

Reactions: doublespaces

Gencheezzy

Private
Aug 4, 2018
Ride
e90 335i 6mt
As many of you may have heard, we have been working with Torqbyte on developing of a fully integrated PT-CAN -based LPFP control module for performance-minded owners that prefer doing things the right way rather than entrusting their car’s fueling to technologically to other less technically advanced solutions on the market. Let's face it, the fuel system is the lifeblood of your motor and you should upgrade it with the best technology on the market. The BPM4 is a complete replacement solution for your factory EKP unit, which is design-limited to the factory fuel pump and thus unable to drive high capacity aftermarket fuel pumps without overheating. BPM4 interfaces directly with the vehicle PT-CANBus using supplied Plug-n-Play wiring that mates with the existing that normally goes to the factory EKP. Installation is clean and doesn’t require disturbing or modifying to the factory EKP wiring. The BPM4 communicates directly with the DME and is able to drive one, two or even three Walbro 525's under full DME control. This ability to run multiple high-capacity aftermarket pumps while maintaining full DME control over the low pressure closed loop control system that the vehicle was designed with, is something no other solution on the market offers.

View attachment 20423

Why you need this:
BPM4 controller allows you to retain the factory closed loop fuel pressure control loop, while running 1, 2 or 3 high-capacity aftermarket pumps. If you’re looking to set new platform power records or simply upgrade your fuel system in a safe and reliable manner, look no further than the BPM4. Other solutions that utilize a Hobbs switch to activate additional fuel pumps actually work against the DME closed loop pressure control system. When the Hobbs switch activates, the DME is faced with a step increase in line pressure that it reacts to by lowering the output duty of the pump still under its control. The end result of this approach are massive fuel pressure oscillations caused by the DME software frantically attempting to servo the low system fuel pressure towards the target pressure levels.

The factory EKPM is limited to 18A of current before it overheats and shuts off the pump. This intermittent operation reduces its life and reliability. The only way to avoid this is to artificially lower the peak duty levels via DME tuning, which leaves spare pump capacity “on the table” and defeats any benefits of running a larger aftermarket pump.

View attachment 20425

BPM4 can safely deliver peak currents as high as 50A with steady state currents of 40A without cuts or overheating meaning that attached pumps can be operated at 100% duty indefinitely.
The BPM4 controller is a simple plug and play unit that will solve all of your low pressure fueling needs. The unit comes standard with 40amp fuses but can be upgraded to 50amp depending on your configuration.

View attachment 20426

View attachment 20427

The free TorqBFM PC software can be used to adjust the ratio of DME demanded duty vs. actual pump duty which is known as the unit slope. This slope can be left at factory EKMP levels or can be adjusted higher or lower depending on the demands of your set-up.
View attachment 20428

TorqBFM PC software also allows the user to Live View, Log and Play Back various vehicle parameters that include DME commanded duty, actual pump duty and RPM. With additional optional hardware it is also possible to log LPFP pressure and pump current. TorqBFM is an invaluable tool for diagnosing the fuel system and validating the DME tune is performing as expected (for example, not pulling back commanded duty at peak engine loading).

View attachment 20429

TorqBFM PC software also allows users to manually override the fuel pumps to any desired output duty desire. Thus may be useful for diagnosing mechanical or wiring issues with the LPFP system. Please note that this feature can cause a lot of damage if misused since it will ignore all DME commands. It should be used only for short tests and only by qualified and experienced users with an in-depth understanding of the LPFP system operation and dangers associated with using (or misusing) this feature.
View attachment 20430

Feature Summary:
- allows the DME to directly control 1, 2 or 3 low pressure fuel pumps (450's or 525's) in a manner the vehicle was designed
- Compatible with all DME tuning suites (or no tuning at all)
- Free TorqBFM PC software allows slope control giving the user/tuner full control over the LPFP fuel system operation
- Full Plug -n-Play solution mates with the factory EKP harnessing
- PT-CANBus integration allows full DME control over the LPFP system, including failsafe mode etc...
- TorqBFM PC software allows logging of RPM, fuel pump duty cycles, and even an added analog input for a second low pressure fuel sensor or a current sensing device offered separately.
- Eliminates the need for alternative solutions such as Hobb's switches
- Supplied with all the wiring necessary for fuel pump and battery power/ground hookup, along with fuses and fuse holders
- Housed in a rugged CNC'd billet aluminum, anodized controller housing
- Completely designed, built and tested in North America (USA and Canada)
- Eliminates the need for return lines or external regulators when paired with our soon-to-be-released LPFP fuel system.

When can I buy it?
We will be taking pre-order reservations starting immediately, with first orders being shipped mid December 2018. As with all of our products, we will not accept money from you until the items are scheduled to ship. Pre-order will simply be a running list for us, with your name and email address. If you are interested please send email to [email protected]

Ok so im a newwwb and plan on doing ST running about 650whp. If i were to buy this how would it help me? Lets say i buy a bucketless stage 2 or 2+ and buy your controller, what benefit is it to me?

Reactions: Mikejones1208

EOSpeed

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Chicago, IL
For those of us who are currently using a Hobbs switch is there going to be an easy way to convert to this somehow? I know you're making your own billet bucket too but will that be necessary or no? Not only do I like the idea of this way more than using a Hobbs but I just realized your shop is within driving distance for me, so it'd be cool to pick one up and support a local vendor.

So if you are currently using a Hobbs setup, all you need to do is remove all your wiring, relays etc hobbs switch wiring and then add the BPM4. The BPM4 will take over control of your pumps and your system, no longer need relays or hobbs switches! We have a shop where we can install it for you, but it is all done by appointment only we do not accept walk-ins, contact us if you like more details.

Ok so im a newwwb and plan on doing ST running about 650whp. If i were to buy this how would it help me? Lets say i buy a bucketless stage 2 or 2+ and buy your controller, what benefit is it to me?

If you add the BPM4 you do not have to worry about the stock EKP overheating due to the stress of the added current draw from your upgraded pump. You also get the added logging features and fine tuning features the BPM4 offers. If you run multiple pumps, you do not need any external Hobbs switches etc..

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
You guys have really made my Christmas this year, been waiting so long for this.

Over the last 2 to 3 years I had three hobbs switches fail and either stuck open or get stuck closed, they are not cheap either.

Now all we need is to get rid off the aic1 and get second di control through the dme and we have a complete fuelling solution on our cars

EOSpeed

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Chicago, IL
This is really rad! what are you going to do to be able to power the ekp with larger power wires in order to be able to support the 50 amps? The factory wiring is about a 14 gauge or so, and would hurt itself LOL

The BPM4 does not get it's power wires from the OEM harness. The unit comes with 10ga wiring from battery to the unit and then also comes with 10ga wiring from the unit to the pumps. The only thing that gets plugged into the OEM harness, where the factory EKP used to go, is a connector that plugs in to receive the PT-CANbus signals from the DME.

Narcosis

Corporal
Dec 14, 2016
Hudson, WI
Ride
F82
You guys have really made my Christmas this year, been waiting so long for this.

Over the last 2 to 3 years I had three hobbs switches fail and either stuck open or get stuck closed, they are not cheap either.

Now all we need is to get rid off the aic1 and get second di control through the dme and we have a complete fuelling solution on our cars

Yes - this!

Reactions: doublespaces

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
So if you are currently using a Hobbs setup, all you need to do is remove all your wiring, relays etc hobbs switch wiring and then add the BPM4. The BPM4 will take over control of your pumps and your system, no longer need relays or hobbs switches! We have a shop where we can install it for you, but it is all done by appointment only we do not accept walk-ins, contact us if you like more details.

If you add the BPM4 you do not have to worry about the stock EKP overheating due to the stress of the added current draw from your upgraded pump. You also get the added logging features and fine tuning features the BPM4 offers. If you run multiple pumps, you do not need any external Hobbs switches etc..
I guess I'm mostly curious about how it plugs into the second/third fuel pump - do we retain the bolts in the top of the bucket? Or would it require pulling the pumps and re-wiring them + possibly switching top hats again?

EOSpeed

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Chicago, IL
I guess I'm mostly curious about how it plugs into the second/third fuel pump - do we retain the bolts in the top of the bucket? Or would it require pulling the pumps and re-wiring them + possibly switching top hats again?

No internal rewiring needed, you could order the option with the OEM connector for one of the pumps and use the drilled terminals for your other pumps. Or you can do it right and opt to upgrade to our billet tophat, part of our soon to be released billet fuel system. The new tophat would include a Mil-spec connector with wiring for up to three pumps and would attach to your stock bucket if you wish. We could also ship everything pre wired for you!

that1.jpgthat2.jpgthat3.jpg