Ad: BPM4 (LPFP) Fuel Pump Control Module Released

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
No internal rewiring needed, you could order the option with the OEM connector for one of the pumps and use the drilled terminals for your other pumps. Or you can do it right and opt to upgrade to our billet tophat, part of our soon to be released billet fuel system. The new tophat would include a Mil-spec connector with wiring for up to three pumps and would attach to your stock bucket if you wish. We could also ship everything pre wired for you!

View attachment 20463View attachment 20464View attachment 20465

I like how you've made the top hat compatible with the stock bucket if someone wanted to go that way as well.

EOSpeed

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Chicago, IL
@EOSpeed does this work for the e89? I'm running the 525 pump for my GC Lites and I'm already sick of the fuel pump codes, which are holding me back from logging. Is this truly PnP? No fine print?

Key difference for the e89 is no LPFP.
https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/walbro-525-wiring.4145/page-2

If It works I'd like to pull the trigger.

We have not tested on the E89 yet, but looking at your car it uses the same EKP as all of the other E series cars. Your car would need one of our special boards, since the E89 has a slightly different PT-CAN cable. We have these available also. As for plug and Play yes for the most part it is truly plug and play. The only thing you would need to do is wire the output of the BPM4 to your fuel pump(wires included but not terminated), or if you wanted you can buy the version where we provide you an OEM pump plug and then it would truly be plug and play to run your single 525 pump.

jts1981

Private
Jan 29, 2018
NYC
Ride
Z4
We have not tested on the E89 yet, but looking at your car it uses the same EKP as all of the other E series cars. Your car would need one of our special boards, since the E89 has a slightly different PT-CAN cable. We have these available also. As for plug and Play yes for the most part it is truly plug and play. The only thing you would need to do is wire the output of the BPM4 to your fuel pump(wires included but not terminated), or if you wanted you can buy the version where we provide you an OEM pump plug and then it would truly be plug and play to run your single 525 pump.
Board as within the ekp, not an additional unit?
I have a thicker gauge wire already running from lpfp to current ekp. Is the new wire different?

EOSpeed

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Chicago, IL
Board as within the ekp, not an additional unit?
I have a thicker gauge wire already running from lpfp to current ekp. Is the new wire different?

Correct we have different versions of the Internal board for BPM4 depending on some specifics with PT-CAN signal to different cars. The wire you get with the BPM4 is all 10ga wiring, you can butt splice to your existing wiring if you like, saving you $50 extra for the OEM connector. Your stock EKP will no longer be used when running the BPM4

Reactions: jts1981

jts1981

Private
Jan 29, 2018
NYC
Ride
Z4
Correct we have different versions of the Internal board for BPM4 depending on some specifics with PT-CAN signal to different cars. The wire you get with the BPM4 is all 10ga wiring, you can butt splice to your existing wiring if you like, saving you $50 extra for the OEM connector. Your stock EKP will no longer be used when running the BPM4
Great! I just emailed you about everything.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Now all we need is to get rid off the aic1 and get second di control through the dme and we have a complete fuelling solution on our cars
Keep praying the dual HPFP work being done can come to prototype validation, with native DME control. I'm installing shotgun this winter hoping it is coming back off the car next winter ...

Filippo

Reactions: Rcboosted2007

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The shotgun works fine Filippo, just would prefer to be controlled by the DME.

Mines been going quite well for a long time now with no issues.

Reactions: fmorelli

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
As many of you may have heard, we have been working with Torqbyte on developing of a fully integrated PT-CAN -based LPFP control module for performance-minded owners that prefer doing things the right way rather than entrusting their car’s fueling to other less technologically advanced solutions on the market. Let's face it, the fuel system is the lifeblood of your motor and you should upgrade it with the best technology on the market. The BPM4 is a complete replacement solution for your factory EKP unit, which is design-limited to the factory fuel pump and thus unable to drive high capacity aftermarket fuel pumps without overheating. BPM4 interfaces directly with the vehicle PT-CANBus using supplied Plug-n-Play wiring that mates with the existing that normally goes to the factory EKP. Installation is clean and doesn’t require disturbing or modifying to the factory EKP wiring. The BPM4 communicates directly with the DME and is able to drive one, two or even three Walbro 525's under full DME control. This ability to run multiple high-capacity aftermarket pumps while maintaining full DME control over the low pressure closed loop control system that the vehicle was designed with, is something no other solution on the market offers.

View attachment 20423

Why you need this:
BMP4 controller allows you to retain the factory closed loop fuel pressure control loop, while running 1, 2 or 3 high-capacity aftermarket pumps. If you’re looking to set new platform power records or simply upgrade your fuel system in a safe and reliable manner, look no further than the BMP4. Other solutions that utilize a Hobbs switch to activate additional fuel pumps actually work against the DME closed loop pressure control system. When the Hobbs switch activates, the DME is faced with a step increase in line pressure that it reacts to by lowering the output duty of the pump still under its control. The end result of this approach are massive fuel pressure oscillations caused by the DME software frantically attempting to servo the low system fuel pressure towards the target pressure levels.

The factory EKPM is limited to 18A of current before it overheats and shuts off the pump. This intermittent operation reduces its life and reliability. The only way to avoid this is to artificially lower the peak duty levels via DME tuning, which leaves spare pump capacity “on the table” and defeats any benefits of running a larger aftermarket pump.

View attachment 20425

BPM4 can safely deliver peak currents as high as 50A with steady state currents of 40A without cuts or overheating meaning that attached pumps can be operated at 100% duty indefinitely.
The BPM4 controller is a simple plug and play unit that will solve all of your low pressure fueling needs. The unit comes standard with 40amp fuses but can be upgraded to 50amp depending on your configuration.

View attachment 20426

View attachment 20427

The free TorqBFM PC software can be used to adjust the ratio of DME demanded duty vs. actual pump duty which is known as the unit slope. This slope can be left at factory EKMP levels or can be adjusted higher or lower depending on the demands of your set-up.
View attachment 20428

TorqBFM PC software also allows the user to Live View, Log and Play Back various vehicle parameters that include DME commanded duty, actual pump duty and RPM. With additional optional hardware it is also possible to log LPFP pressure and pump current. TorqBFM is an invaluable tool for diagnosing the fuel system and validating the DME tune is performing as expected (for example, not pulling back commanded duty at peak engine loading).

View attachment 20429

TorqBFM PC software also allows users to manually override the fuel pumps to any desired output duty desire. Thus may be useful for diagnosing mechanical or wiring issues with the LPFP system. Please note that this feature can cause a lot of damage if misused since it will ignore all DME commands. It should be used only for short tests and only by qualified and experienced users with an in-depth understanding of the LPFP system operation and dangers associated with using (or misusing) this feature.
View attachment 20430

Feature Summary:
- allows the DME to directly control 1, 2 or 3 low pressure fuel pumps (450's or 525's) in a manner the vehicle was designed
- Compatible with all DME tuning suites (or no tuning at all)
- Free TorqBFM PC software allows slope control giving the user/tuner full control over the LPFP fuel system operation
- Full Plug -n-Play solution mates with the factory EKP harnessing
- PT-CANBus integration allows full DME control over the LPFP system, including failsafe mode etc...
- TorqBFM PC software allows logging of RPM, fuel pump duty cycles, and even an added analog input for a second low pressure fuel sensor or a current sensing device offered separately.
- Eliminates the need for alternative solutions such as Hobb's switches
- Supplied with all the wiring necessary for fuel pump and battery power/ground hookup, along with fuses and fuse holders
- Housed in a rugged CNC'd billet aluminum, anodized controller housing
- Completely designed, built and tested in North America (USA and Canada)
- Eliminates the need for return lines or external regulators when paired with our soon-to-be-released LPFP fuel system.
-comes standard with 10ga wiring from BPM4 to battery and 10ga wiring from BPM4 to pumps.

When can I buy it?
We will be taking pre-order reservations starting immediately, with first orders being shipped mid December 2018. As with all of our products, we will not accept money from you until the items are scheduled to ship. Pre-order will simply be a running list for us, with your name and email address. If you are interested please send email to [email protected]
Email sent!
This should solve my LPFP errors and low fuel pressures in the summer. (Interestingly, I don’t have these issues in the cold weather / cold fuel now here in Philly. Must definitely be an overheating problem.

The Banshee

Corporal
Nov 18, 2017
Lehigh Valley PA
Ride
2008 335xi coupe 6466 MT
Email sent!
This should solve my LPFP errors and low fuel pressures in the summer. (Interestingly, I don’t have these issues in the cold weather / cold fuel now here in Philly. Must definitely be an overheating problem.

Same with me north of Philly. LP errors are gone now that the weather is significantly colder. I have been through 2 EKP2's in 3 years and would rather install this and be done with it as opposed to buying/upgrading to the EKP3. I am going to most likely buy the complete EOS fueling system once they release the package deals.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Keep praying the dual HPFP work being done can come to prototype validation, with native DME control. I'm installing shotgun this winter hoping it is coming back off the car next winter ...

Filippo

Hope to do first start this weekend to see the mechanical components work and ensure no fuel leaks.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Same with me north of Philly. LP errors are gone now that the weather is significantly colder. I have been through 2 EKP2's in 3 years and would rather install this and be done with it as opposed to buying/upgrading to the EKP3. I am going to most likely buy the complete EOS fueling system once they release the package deals.
Mine is an EKPM3, OEM when I bought it new in 2008.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I didn't even realize this was something we were feasibly close to even having. Interested in how it works to say the least.
Check out the first post. Essentially, the BPM4 module is connected to both the DME and the battery. It reads LPFP control signal from DME and drives a greater amount of current to the low pressure fuel pump(s).

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
So what is he saying he is starting to test dual di controlled by dme only, if i read that right ?
I think he might be referring to Tony from VTT who is working on replacing AIC box with one that allows DME to control both HPFP's and PI with sequential firing instead of batch.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
Filippo is referring to a completely different project that has been under the radar for a while. The work is being done on my E89 Z4.

Best to keep this thread on topic for the lpfp.

We can start a different thread on the N54 DME controlled, DI only, dual M3/M4 HPFP

Will it work?
Plausibility has passed scrutiny

Bench analysis has passed beyond "probably will work"

Hardware is installed and ready for "what's it gonna do?"

Reactions: Panzerfaust