Ad: BPM4 (LPFP) Fuel Pump Control Module Released

gmagnus7

Corporal
Dec 3, 2018
Ride
135i N54
Question: Does a normal walbro (if installed with a Hobbs for example) run at 12v ? Does this allow us to bump it up to 13.5v and essentially add another 10gal/hr at our given fuel pressures? Like if someone was at the upper limit of their setup with a 450 for example.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Question: Does a normal walbro (if installed with a Hobbs for example) run at 12v ? Does this allow us to bump it up to 13.5v and essentially add another 10gal/hr at our given fuel pressures? Like if someone was at the upper limit of their setup with a 450 for example.

A single 450 Walbro would not require a Hobbs switch. It would run directly off the stock controller...which will intermittently go over peak limit, ever so slightly. I had a single Walbro on the stock controller and it ran fine as long as my tune did not cause the fuel demand to exceed limit... each time it exceeded limit, there would be a slight, "wao wao wao" oscillation when accelerating under certain conditions...like going 60mph then half slam pedal to pass someone.

After installing this upgraded unit...there has never once been any oscillation of any kind under any conditions or loads. Just works flawlessly and STRONG.

Reactions: Jeffman and EOSpeed

gmagnus7

Corporal
Dec 3, 2018
Ride
135i N54
A single 450 Walbro would not require a Hobbs switch. It would run directly off the stock controller...which will intermittently go over peak limit, ever so slightly. I had a single Walbro on the stock controller and it ran fine as long as my tune did not cause the fuel demand to exceed limit... each time it exceeded limit, there would be a slight, "wao wao wao" oscillation when accelerating under certain conditions...like going 60mph then half slam pedal to pass someone.

After installing this upgraded unit...there has never once been any oscillation of any kind under any conditions or loads. Just works flawlessly and STRONG.

Yes I know, I meant if you have a second pump. I guess if you hooked up it to the stock EKP I assume it would be 12V then.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Yes I know, I meant if you have a second pump. I guess if you hooked up it to the stock EKP I assume it would be 12V then.

If you have a second pump, then that is considered a stage 3 set up (two pumps) stage 4 set up is 3 pumps. Stage 2 set up is just one upgraded 450 Walbro pump. I have never heard of anyone adding a walbro pump to their stock pump. If you have more than on pump, you necessarily need the upgraded controller for sure.

gmagnus7

Corporal
Dec 3, 2018
Ride
135i N54
If you have a second pump, then that is considered a stage 3 set up (two pumps) stage 4 set up is 3 pumps. Stage 2 set up is just one upgraded 450 Walbro pump. I have never heard of anyone adding a walbro pump to their stock pump. If you have more than on pump, you necessarily need the upgraded controller for sure.

The fuel it FI-650hp kit uses a stock pump as the first, then a walbro 450 as the second pump and is rated to 650 hp on E85. I guess I'm wondering if this can push the voltages higher since it's not directly off the stock EKP, and get more out of the pumps.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
The fuel it FI-650hp kit uses a stock pump as the first, then a walbro 450 as the second pump and is rated to 650 hp on E85. I guess I'm wondering if this can push the voltages higher since it's not directly off the stock EKP, and get more out of the pumps.

This is created to control voltage. So yes, it is exactly what you need.

• Love
Reactions: gmagnus7

EOSpeed

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Chicago, IL

The BPM4 does not output a higher voltage then available in your system. That being said y

The unit is made to control your pumps from the DME, and give you flexibility on how much fuel you get and when.(the slope changes that you can make to respond for the duty cycle the DME is asking for) The voltage in is the voltage out on the unit. The BPM4 is not a voltage increasing unit. It is a pump control unit.

rac

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2016
Australia
Ride
135i ST
Your voltage fluctuates depending on what's going on with other loads on the electrical system and the charge voltage. It's less than 12 cranking and should probably be more than 13.5 when running. The flow charts give examples of flow rates at 13.5v because a lot of vehicles will be supplying around that type of voltage when running. The controllers, this one and the dme control what proportion of that voltage is getting to the pump by switching off and on the voltage supply extremely rapidly but ultimately the system supply voltage is what it is.

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
  1. Get Oem connector
  2. Get Copper top hat screws
  3. Profit

Has anyone actually done this with a stage 3 yet? Found some bronze screws that fit but debating just going stage 2 until I get a billet tophat. I know it "should" work but looking for some reassurance.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Has anyone actually done this with a stage 3 yet? Found some bronze screws that fit but debating just going stage 2 until I get a billet tophat. I know it "should" work but looking for some reassurance.

I still haven't paid for mine yet so I can't give too much insight. Hopefully will have it this month or next.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I’m almost as bad. I bought it 3-4 weeks ago but haven’t installed it yet. It’ll be at least another 2 weeks before I can work on the car again. :/

• Funny
Reactions: doublespaces

buster84

Corporal
Mar 24, 2018
Ride
335 bmw xdrive
Wait do people actually get throttle fluctuations because of hobb switches? How does that work? I though just the LPFP fluctuates in logs? I just received my fuel it 650 package with the hobbs switch so now I'm curious. Since my ekp stays only with the stock fuel pump it shouldnt give codes or anything.

No they get throttle issues becuase the fuel has no where to go once it's in the rails. This is where the ekg module helps by only sending the exact amount of fuel needed for those conditions.

If you dont want to buy an ekg like most (expensive) and you have a stage 3 setup, upgrade your fuel lines and get a FPR with a return. I have the full fuelit fuel system that on my car with a stage 3 (dual walbros) setup with my PI and FPR and my fuel pressure is stable, without any throttle fluctuations, flutterong or issues at all and I also use a hobs switch to turn on my other pump.

It's more about what direction you plan to go. If you keep the stock system go EKG. If you redo all your lines to -6an then it's easy to add an e85 sensor, FPR and a return line at the same time.

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
Finally got mine installed, just have a single 450 connected atm and was having some stalls at low speeds with no codes besides the ekp3 being overdrawn. Hoping the bpm4 allieviates that.

Is everyone just connecting it directly to the battery? Started hearing about battery drain issues, wondering if people are running a relay/fuse tap instead or it's just cars sitting a while on old batteries.

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I'm going to get one also. Buying a 525 and this seems to be the only non hacky way to use one.

EOSpeed

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Chicago, IL
Finally got mine installed, just have a single 450 connected atm and was having some stalls at low speeds with no codes besides the ekp3 being overdrawn. Hoping the bpm4 allieviates that.

Is everyone just connecting it directly to the battery? Started hearing about battery drain issues, wondering if people are running a relay/fuse tap instead or it's just cars sitting a while on old batteries.

There should not be a battery drain issue. The unit in sleep mode will draw only 3mA of power. a typical car battery with 60Ahr would take approximately 20,000hrs to drain the battery from the BPM4.

• Informative
Reactions: SSDD and scrllock