Bucketless sucks - I keep running out of gas at 3/4 of a tank.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Correct, but the center of the tank is molded to fit over the driveshaft which separates both sides quite a bit. The entire fueling system is balanced really well, and bypassing, or removing certain parts will result in one side filling up more than that other. It's fun when the passenger side fills up because you have to take a hard left turn before filling up or else the pump just vapor locks every time you pull the trigger. lol

Thats what the syphon pickup is for in the lhd tank to pump fuel back over to the rhd tank, there is just no way the pump can starve of fuel with a big hydramat.

Having such a big pickup mat will ensure that you can suck the tank dry before running out of fuel.

Reactions: MoistNapkin

MoistNapkin

Corporal
May 25, 2019
Ride
08 135i
Thats what the syphon pickup is for in the lhd tank to pump fuel back over to the rhd tank, there is just no way the pump can starve of fuel with a big hydramat.

Having such a big pickup mat will ensure that you can suck the tank dry before running out of fuel.

That's exactly what Ive explained as well. The fpr AND siphon both transfer to the fuel pump side. There's one on the pump side that also feeds across to the sender unit side. It's a balanced system.

• Agree
Reactions: martymil

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I custom made one for my 1m as no one sells them and the ones that are available don't work or fit.

Since there was no interest in them it wasn't economically viable to make any more.

I would need at least 100 orders to make it cheap otherwise it will be around 200 dollars each.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I custom made one for my 1m as no one sells them and the ones that are available don't work or fit.

Since there was no interest in them it wasn't economically viable to make any more.

I would need at least 100 orders to make it cheap otherwise it will be around 200 dollars each.
$200 isn't bad ala carte, we are at the point where things aren't really made in quantity unless it's cast. The eagerness for companies to develop new things has passed us it seems, so anyone who is willing to make parts at all are welcomed.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The whole thing is holley already has the fitting but on the wrong mat, I approached them and they never responded to me and why I made my own.

Unless you order 1000 mats or more guess they are not interested.

bakerdou

Private
May 13, 2021
Mine is 15 x 15 so basically covers the whole right hand tank base and there is no baffles in our tanks.
Trying to figure out what's the largest size I can fit in my 335 tank's openning, may I ask if any cut job is required to fit in a 15×15 hydramat?

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Its complicated, you have to unscrew the fitting out of the hydramat and make a custom fitting to fit the whole setup.

It was a small nightmare to do and would not do it again but it does work flawlessly with no starvation issues.

Save yourself a huge headache and get a good stage 3 bucket setup unless you handy on the tools and know how to weld.

bakerdou

Private
May 13, 2021
Its complicated, you have to unscrew the fitting out of the hydramat and make a custom fitting to fit the whole setup.

It was a small nightmare to do and would not do it again but it does work flawlessly with no starvation issues.

Save yourself a huge headache and get a good stage 3 bucket setup unless you handy on the tools and know how to weld.
Just followed through your fitting welding proccess in the other thread, it's a little complicated indeed.
My dillema is I already retrofit my lpfp with a walbro 450(aka TIA 267). And I cut the bottom of my bucket open, which made it in nature a bucket-less style setup as I understand it. So I plan to make most of my current setup, but get rid of the starvation risk, which I already observed couple times in the canyon.
I checked the holley website and saw they now provide: A. a AN/npt adapter for the walbro pump's inlet. B. a direct pin lock fitting style hydramat. Choice A seems a relief for the weld work. Choice B may fit directly but the largest size in stock is 3×15.
So what I am trying to figure out now is, A. if 3×15 fits in the tank's openning,if not then: B. if I can stuff two smaller mats in two sides. Will do a little more research.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
15 x 15 has to have the pump in the middle of the mat or just off center.

People have tried the 3x15 and still causes starvation issues so no good.

I was going to make the fittings but you can ruin the hydra mat if you don't
know what one is doing that's why i never went ahead with it.

You can always install a surge tank with an external low pressure pump and
use a lift pump on a bucket less setup to fill the surge tank with a return line
from the surge back to the tank.

bakerdou

Private
May 13, 2021
15 x 15 has to have the pump in the middle of the mat or just off center.

People have tried the 3x15 and still causes starvation issues so no good.

I was going to make the fittings but you can ruin the hydra mat if you don't
know what one is doing that's why i never went ahead with it.

You can always install a surge tank with an external low pressure pump and
use a lift pump on a bucket less setup to fill the surge tank with a return line
from the surge back to the tank.
Got it, will focus on fitting 15×15 mat. Does the 15×15's edges spread nicely in the tank or there is warp and bend?

I was planning to use a cross shaped mat and sit it in the tank like an 'X'.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I used a 15x 15 square and it covers the whole tank nicely but the fitting had to be custom made.

You will have to see if they make one these days or find something similar.