Bucketless sucks - I keep running out of gas at 3/4 of a tank.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Stop racing bucketless designs. Ffs.

If you track the car you need a bucketed solution that keeps all the venturi's you can get, or maybe a surge tank if you're actually legit racing. If you only want volume and want to save a few bucks, like $100 bucksish I don't even know, then go bucketless.
You think it's better to go bpm4 ekp , side pump or healthy stock ekp is fine. I just noticed that my lpfp Is little jumpy line 60 to 80 sometimes and that's bucketless I don't know if bucket will make worse

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
You think it's better to go bpm4 ekp , side pump or healthy stock ekp is fine. I just noticed that my lpfp Is little jumpy line 60 to 80 sometimes and that's bucketless I don't know if bucket will make worse

If all you're driving is a walboro 450 then factory ekp is perfectly fine. If you go to the DW or walboro 500 then you might need the ekp upgrade, or if you want to drive two pumps without a switch forthe second one. If we're talking fuel starvation on corners though extra pumps in the bucket do take some space that displaces fuel but not much. For most people a second pump is the better and more economical option and retaining the bucket fixes most track issues.

If you want bucketless flow with the bucketed setup you can always add the PR regulator, it puts the fuel transfer venturi on the waste fuel which is the same increase as going bucketless (and is additive with bucketless too) but it's not nearly as significant as adding a second pump to either system.

• Informative
Reactions: PFS and SSDD

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
If all you're driving is a walboro 450 then factory ekp is perfectly fine. If you go to the DW or walboro 500 then you might need the ekp upgrade, or if you want to drive two pumps without a switch forthe second one. If we're talking fuel starvation on corners though extra pumps in the bucket do take some space that displaces fuel but not much. For most people a second pump is the better and more economical option and retaining the bucket fixes most track issues.

If you want bucketless flow with the bucketed setup you can always add the PR regulator, it puts the fuel transfer venturi on the waste fuel which is the same increase as going bucketless (and is additive with bucketless too) but it's not nearly as significant as adding a second pump to either system.
Thankyou my only concern with the second pump and switch is fuel pressure all over place I want whatever is most stable and as you know im only running 93 or higher no e85 . Also my hpfp fixed itself somehow I almost wonder if I got bad fuel or something I still will be removing my hpfp filter though cause 1800 is ok as my lowest but I'd love to stay above 2000. I can't wait for you to be able to update my map with the new fuel valve tables.

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
PFS has really good customer service. Fuel It was good when they were getting started but honestly I am not happy with how Steve treated me the last couple conversations we had. Example: I was inquiring about their Stage 4 fuel system setup and he asked what else I had, when I told him I was running Evolution of Speed port injection he told me to throw it away and buy his instead. Not sure if any of you have ever used EOS products but they are top tier.

PFS is honestly the best option. The PR kit is okay but kind of a pain to build, I'm just not really a fan of anything bucketless without the hydramat.

Thanks.

I'd also like to reiterate that I simply don't believe in shutting out people for other product choices when there is no magic involved, as a general rule the parts will play together nicely for most systems. Things get a little more complicated with customized systems but it's still just a couple of pumps, regulators, and lines feeding your DI &PI, in whatever combo that happens to be in. While I obviously run all PFS parts on my vehicle, even on my own car I wouldn't hesitate to run PI from one of the sleek new manifolds offered out there. We can be in business and still make sense.

Chris

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
I just noticed that my lpfp Is little jumpy line 60 to 80 sometimes and that's bucketless I don't know if bucket will make worse

Bucket won't make that worse. Don't worry too much about jumpiness on pressure, if you want to smooth that out an external regulator will do that for you, and for extra fun you can have the return dump right on top of your bucket.

If you really need a ton of flow, we can make the second pump routed externally. It's still in the bucket but it's bucketless flow as none of it bleeds off into the venturi, it flows straight out of the top hat, across the top of the tank, joins driver's side output, they both go through the filter, into the regulator and will get turned into horsepower by your N54. First pump uses all of the in-tank stuff and feeds venturi. Second pump uses none of the in-tank stuff. It's thus got HIGHER flow than a bucketless traditional in-tank pump. Both go through external regulator, return adds to bucket fill.

The difference between a regulator return vs. venturi, is the venturi feeds the bucket as a percentage of flow any time the pump is running. The regulator only bypasses fuel once pressure target is exceeded. If you're maxing out flow or set pressure target high with the regulator, it's not going to flow as much fuel through the return with high boost, higher RPM if you're pushing limits. This is why you still want a healthy venturi.

Regardless, help is an email away. Just tell me what you have, what you want, and what you might want to do in the future and we can put together something sane that doesn't blow your budget to the moon. Or if you want to go crazy, we have the single shot, the double shot, and for those special occasions, the drunken sailor (not on website, that's email/custom only), which is a lot of shots and more than anyone currently needs on the platform.

Chris

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Bucket won't make that worse. Don't worry too much about jumpiness on pressure, if you want to smooth that out an external regulator will do that for you, and for extra fun you can have the return dump right on top of your bucket.

If you really need a ton of flow, we can make the second pump routed externally. It's still in the bucket but it's bucketless flow as none of it bleeds off into the venturi, it flows straight out of the top hat, across the top of the tank, joins driver's side output, they both go through the filter, into the regulator and will get turned into horsepower by your N54. First pump uses all of the in-tank stuff and feeds venturi. Second pump uses none of the in-tank stuff. It's thus got HIGHER flow than a bucketless traditional in-tank pump. Both go through external regulator, return adds to bucket fill.

The difference between a regulator return vs. venturi, is the venturi feeds the bucket as a percentage of flow any time the pump is running. The regulator only bypasses fuel once pressure target is exceeded. If you're maxing out flow or set pressure target high with the regulator, it's not going to flow as much fuel through the return with high boost, higher RPM if you're pushing limits. This is why you still want a healthy venturi.

Regardless, help is an email away. Just tell me what you have, what you want, and what you might want to do in the future and we can put together something sane that doesn't blow your budget to the moon. Or if you want to go crazy, we have the single shot, the double shot, and for those special occasions, the drunken sailor (not on website, that's email/custom only), which is a lot of shots and more than anyone currently needs on the platform.

Chris
That's awesome I currently have a fuel it stage 2 bucketless but want to go back bucketed and will be running 93 with meth injection so I would be interested in meth injection and possibly an external fpr unless that's pointless with a single pump I just figure is prob better to stay cheaper and get more flow then buy a controller but I'd take your advice on that.

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
If the only purpose of your current lpfp is to feed a stock hpfp with pump gas, I wouldn't worry so much about pressure fluctuations at WOT unless they're impacting your HPFP for whatever reason, and usually that's not a problem. If you were running PI I'd agree you have an argument. Running meth though, that's a completely separate system. Get a solid single shot bucketed system and call 'er a day.

Chris

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Do you do dpmi systems? And as long as fluctuations don't cause any issue with timing or anything then idc

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
Nothing yet. IMO most guys are better off with a one or two nozzles in the charge pipe and keep it simple with reasonable power goals. That said, if you're going for a lot more hp than can be supported on pump alone, then sure, the added complexity of a DPMI system makes sense.

It's something I'd consider developing, but not currently on the short list.

Chris

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Thankyou please do let us know if you do. I have been telling people they should come up with a straightforward solution that could output a 0 to 5v signal so that you can use ff logic to have a meth map instead of having to be limp or meth you could now have a powerful map to daily and then really take advantage of the meth instead of having to hold back for safety

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
i've been running a bucketless setup for a few years now, unless i pull G's when very low fuel, no problem.
You have a problem other than it being bucketless.

Reactions: PFS

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Hundred percent agree should not be issue over half tank .
Does the external fpr bypass the stock driver side fpr ? Or does that not present a restriction? It just seems like the stock regulator sucks otherwise I would never see more than 72 psi.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
If the only purpose of your current lpfp is to feed a stock hpfp with pump gas, I wouldn't worry so much about pressure fluctuations at WOT unless they're impacting your HPFP for whatever reason, and usually that's not a problem. If you were running PI I'd agree you have an argument. Running meth though, that's a completely separate system. Get a solid single shot bucketed system and call 'er a day.

Chris
I ordered my meth system but also want to shore up my lpfp and toss this fuel it bucketless pump.
So I would like to order your bucketed but the I am curious if I get your external regulator would that allow me to run more than 72 psi or would the ekp limit me? I guess is the external fpr even applicable for stage 2

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
If you're leaving pump control to the EKP you're mostly going to be limited to factory settings, given some learning time anyway.

Keep in mind that the external regulator isn't going to play that nicely with a single pump unless you re-plumb the entire fuel system (remember, in tank regulator bleeds back to passenger side to help keep from fuel starvation). It's up to you -you can run what you like how you like it, but if you're keeping the in-tank "stuff", but want an external regulator, then keep one pump working normal (standard single walbro upgrade) and run the second pump external, bypass all in-tank stuff, and run them both through the regulator which the return from dumps back into the bucket. It's crowded on that top-hat but it flows a TON of fuel. You could run an external regulator strictly for cutting out pressure spikes but I'm not sure that has real-world value.

For your purposes, with a nod towards being budget aware, start with a solid bucketed single pump solution and add complexity as your needs dictate. For what you're doing I'd expect a simple single upgraded walbro pump would be sufficient.

Chris

• Informative
Reactions: The Banshee

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
If you're leaving pump control to the EKP you're mostly going to be limited to factory settings, given some learning time anyway.

Keep in mind that the external regulator isn't going to play that nicely with a single pump unless you re-plumb the entire fuel system (remember, in tank regulator bleeds back to passenger side to help keep from fuel starvation). It's up to you -you can run what you like how you like it, but if you're keeping the in-tank "stuff", but want an external regulator, then keep one pump working normal (standard single walbro upgrade) and run the second pump external, bypass all in-tank stuff, and run them both through the regulator which the return from dumps back into the bucket. It's crowded on that top-hat but it flows a TON of fuel. You could run an external regulator strictly for cutting out pressure spikes but I'm not sure that has real-world value.

For your purposes, with a nod towards being budget aware, start with a solid bucketed single pump solution and add complexity as your needs dictate. For what you're doing I'd expect a simple single upgraded walbro pump would be sufficient.

Chris
Appreciate the honesty I just wasnt sure if it's a common thing for the in tank regulator go bad or need replacing but I'll start with bucket then if my pressure annoys me moving around I'll possibly do that external setup just to be future proof cause the upgraded ekp is alot and I just feel I could do better with that 900 dollars especially since I'm looking for an xi to start a winter daily build and turn my current car to race car/weekend status

Reactions: PFS and fmorelli

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
They do go bad, not super often. A new reg assy is under $200 from ECS (or your vendor of choice). If you change it out, pull your lpfp FIRST and tie a long string to the LPFP line, then remove your regulator. Use the string to pull the new regulator lines back to the LPFP side once you've installed 'er. Good idea to have the tank near empty.

If you want a single shot bucket shoot me a PM. I'll cut you a deal.

Chris

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
They do go bad, not super often. A new reg assy is under $200 from ECS (or your vendor of choice). If you change it out, pull your lpfp FIRST and tie a long string to the LPFP line, then remove your regulator. Use the string to pull the new regulator lines back to the LPFP side once you've installed 'er. Good idea to have the tank near empty.

If you want a single shot bucket shoot me a PM. I'll cut you a deal.

Chris

Off topic - what do you have for a setup running 600whp on 94+WMI ? Needs to be bucketed, I don't want to go overkill with 2 pumps etc I'm pretty sure 1 walbro 450 can do the job.

Reactions: PFS

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
Off topic - what do you have for a setup running 600whp on 94+WMI ? Needs to be bucketed, I don't want to go overkill with 2 pumps etc I'm pretty sure 1 walbro 450 can do the job.

Yep, a single walbro 450 should meet your needs no problem. What's your full current fueling setup, and what turbo(s)? A single shot is reg $499 with free shipping, ($529 if you want a new top hat too). If interested shoot me an email and I'll cut you a break as a SpoolStreet member.

Chris