car running out of gas at a quarter of a tank

brandon818

Lurker
Mar 12, 2018
Ride
335is
I have a 335is and my car has now ran out of gas twice now with a quarter of a tank left according to fuel guage. The car was sitting for a month as I was out of the country and now this problem has occured. Was driving on the freeway, and car went into limp (maybe misfire), and as I was pulling over to turn off car/clear the misfire the car died. I then rolled to the side of the freeway and restarted car, after it idled for 5 sec it died and I called AAA for fuel as this is the second time it's happened. Also to note, a month and a half a go I got a stage 2 lpfp BUCKETED setup.

These are following codes from MHD

-DME active codes -
29CE - DME combustion misfire cylinder 2
29D1 - DME combustion misfire cylinder 5
29DC- DME: cylinder injection cutout

-DME shadow codes-

29F2: DME: fuel high pressure system, fuel pressure
2AAE: DME: fuel pump
2AAF: DME: fuel pump, plausibility.
2FCA fuel high pressure bei freigabe der einspritzung
2FDA fuel high pressure bei oder nach freigabe der einspritzung (2. umweltbedingungssatz nach zeitverogerung)

2FDB- DME: Superknocking, cylinder 1. (I'm asssuming this is from the 87 octane gas AAA gave me.

Last edited:

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Bucket less setups will make you hit fuel cut at about the time the gas light comes on. The only good solution to this is going back to a bucket and stage 3 setup (in my opinion)

One of the last times I did a pull, fuel ran out and moments later my gas light came on. So if you like to run your tank low like me then avoid bucketless setups. I'm getting ready to migrate back to a completely custom bucket .

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Are you guys using Holley Hydramats? Also when installing bucketless, a lot of the manufacturers and vendors only pay lip service to how far up the pump sits in the bracket. It needs to set the float correctly 5mm out and you're out of fuel.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Hmm well then in that case I'm not sure assuming it was installed correctly. There is a level sensor on the driver side you might want to look into