Chadillac2000's 2008 135i Road Warrior Daily Driver Build Thread

chadillac2000

Corporal
Oct 26, 2017
NC
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
Unless you bought a jpworkz kit, then we may never find out.

That aside, awesome post! I love the alcantara additions. My Performance wheel is second hand and requires cleaning, so I can attest that it will get worse for wear. Hopefully a good cleaning can bring the fibers back to life. That clutch pedal seems like a nice mod, I have not noticed anyone doing it before.

I said well put together single turbo kit, sir!

Ever since installing the performance wheel I've been paying a lot more attention to how clean my hands are before driving. Any tricks you've found to keeping it clean? I've read just soap + water + soft toothbrush can do wonders.

• Funny
Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I said well put together single turbo kit, sir!

Ever since installing the performance wheel I've been paying a lot more attention to how clean my hands are before driving. Any tricks you've found to keeping it clean? I've read just soap + water + soft toothbrush can do wonders.

No, since it was already dirty when I got the thing and haven't gotten around to cleaning it up yet. Honestly, I think we just have to put up with the maintenance.

chadillac2000

Corporal
Oct 26, 2017
NC
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
After much deliberation, reviewing countless threads across multiple forums, and mapping out every step of what was involved with swapping turbos, I just couldn’t overcome the scenario of going through all the labor of replacing my twin turbos with another set of twin turbos only to discover a failure or wastegate rattle shortly down the road. The GC Lites I had in my possession prior may have ended up not failing, but there were multiple confirmed cases of defective turbines within that lineup with no real clarification on what happened. That personally shook my confidence in the whole situation the second go around. A failure of that magnitude after investing the time and money of tackling that type of install would be heartbreaking, and not something I was willing to risk if at all possible. Even if the turbos were warrantied, the labor involved would be incredible, and if they’d failed once, what’s to say they wouldn’t again?

Looking past the twin turbos themselves, silicone inlets and outlets were both areas of concern of mine. The thought of the miserable install associated with 2” driver’s side inlets plus the worry of manifold heat melting the silicone outlets were the straw that broke the camel’s back. Since back when I owned my 535i, I had ambitions of adding a top mount single turbo to an N54 equipped E82, and it was time to make that happen. A twin scroll bottom mount seemed like a nice alternative to going all out top mount, but o2 sensors seemed to be even more at risk and I’d still have difficult reaching the turbo if anything ever needed addressed. Plus when I was shopping, there hadn’t been much long term feedback on any of the newer kits.

After getting in touch with a few different vendors, I eventually settled on a top mount single kit from ACF featuring a Precision 6062 Ball Bearing Gen2 turbocharger (with a polished compressor as the only option). I decided to forego the ceramic coating and recirculated dump pipes to keep costs in check, and because I prefer open dumps and planned on using DEI exhaust wrap anyways. Ultimately I went with ACF because a) I liked the ACF manifold design & downpipe sizes the best out of all the top mount kits, b) it seemed to include more robust components more than the Docrace alternative, and c) was slightly more affordable than others with a ball bearing option coming in at less than $5,000. The 6062 configuration with ACF’s proven twin scroll manifold should provide super-quick spool and as much power as my fuel system can throw at it. Plus if things go awry with the turbo, it’s right up top and easily serviceable. Of course single turbos come with their own set of heat problems, but hopefully I can counteract that with carefulness.

Once my mind was made up, Anthony & Payam quickly answered the few remaining questions I had, gave me a two week lead time, and I made payment soon after. ACF has been subject to criticism with how quickly they can get a kit in your hands, but I wasn’t in a huge hurry and had made up my mind to put my faith in Anthony’s ability to deliver. So how accurate was that two week lead time? From the time I made payment to the time it was put in the mail was 21 days. I’m on the other side of the country from Anthony, so including shipping it took a total of 28 days from payment until I had everything in hand and it was well worth it. I’ll let the pictures and video do the talking, but the craftsmanship is truly impressive to see in person.

HeBhiv7.jpg

HuZyFct.jpg

PMQ8JmI.jpg

oJFFKAa.jpg

R8dPp6O.jpg

9NCUZJ8.jpg

hKXsyzL.jpg

60YydEj.jpg

tl9TTOL.jpg

2U4MKse.jpg

In the meantime, I had a lot of other areas that I wanted to address and parts I needed to order. First and foremost, was my clutch and flywheel combo. I had managed to take my 135i over the one hundred thousand mile mark (fifty thousand of that tuned on E85 at close to 20psi) and my stock DMFW and clutch were still holding up just fine. Back when I had new hybrids in hand, I had planned on a new DMFW + 335is/550i clutch to keep things simple with a stock feel, but ultimately it was destined to die a quick life at my intended single turbo power levels. I hated the idea of the increased noise and NVH of a SMFW, but hated the idea of misfires even more, so cue up the trusted MFactory Steel SMFW. I was however, curious about the performance advantages of installing a lightweight flywheel and how it affected feel when rev matching. If it was better than the heavy DMFW in that regards, I could come around to enjoy the SMFW idea quickly. The Spec Stage 2+ clutch seemed to be the best bet for a daily driven car around the 550TQ mark, and would last longer than the slightly stronger 3+. Unfortunately, jumping to any of the Spec + options, meant it was a much more expensive setup, but a necessary one. Add in flywheel bolts, pressure plate screws, a brass clutch fork pivot pin, an OEM clutch alignment tool and a service kit with new fluids/plugs, and I was looking at another $1450 on top of the ST kit to transfer all the new power efficiently.

I already had MHD on hand to try and combat the SMFW rattle, so I could raise the idle to counteract this somewhat. In fact, I’d been experimenting with my stock clutch/flywheel by raising the idle to 950RPM for a few months prior. A lot of people are hesitant to do this for some reason, but besides the slightly louder idle decibels, on a 6MT, the car idles smoother and engages the clutch easier as the RPMs aren’t dipping so low. This should in theory make the Spec 2+ easier to engage while eliminating the majority of the unwanted noise.

There was also the issue of single turbo kits and their tendency of killing standard o2 sensors prematurely because of the increased pressure and heat. $425 to avoid these headaches with the ADV o2 sensors. More boost required a 3.5 BAR TMAP + BMS adapter, another $125. My standard 7” upgraded FMIC from VRSF would no longer keep IATs in check during the hot South Carolina summers, so add in the humongous Phoenix Race FMIC, another $500.

It only made sense to do bunch of maintenance items at the same time since I’d be dropping the subframe and have access to some items I wouldn’t normally have access to (and hadn’t done already). These would include: OEM engine mounts (I opted to not go with the 335is or 034 Motorsport versions and just stick with stock), an oil pan gasket & bolts, downpipe gasket & bolts, rear main seal, a rear shaft seal for my differential that has been seeping some fluid, oil level sensor o-ring, a fresh set of NGK 95770 plugs and Delphi coils, Motul 5W40 and a Mann filter, a budget walnut blast setup, BMW coolant and new aluminum water pump bolts. Another $860.

Add in an engine support bar, a few specialty tools, the aluminum BMW Performance strut brace for bling that I bought for a decent price on eBay, supplies to heat wrap the ACF top mount kit hot side components properly and my total money spent on going single turbo tallied to more than $9,100 without any custom tuning and performing all the labor myself. The price of going single turbo the right way IS NOT for the faint of heart by any means. I was once told between cheap, fast, and reliable, you can only have two. I chose the two latter options. Here’s my total cost breakdown below, every single penny:

ACF 6062BB Top Mount Single Turbo Kit with polished compressor housing - $5000.00 ACF
ADV o2 Sensors - $425.00 CHRIS
Phoenix Race FMIC - $499.01 N54TUNING
3.5 BAR TMAP Sensor - $89.39 ECS
TMAP Adapter - $32.50 BMS
Downpipe Gaskets - $25.90 ECS
Stainless Tie Wraps - $16.67 AMAZON
DEI Exhaust Wrap - $44.88 AMAZON
6 FT of DEI Heat Protection Sleeving - $52.58 AMAZON
DOCRace Single Turbo Heat Shield - $120.00 DOCRACE
Exhaust Manifold Studs x16 - $15.84 ECS
Exhaust Manifold Nuts x 11 - $38.50 ECS
Exhaust Gaskets - $23.94 ECS
Intake Gaskets - $15.95 ECS
Throttle Body Gasket - $9.89 ECS
335D Intake Duct - $39.68 ECS
Replacement Coolant Pipe & Oil Supply O-rings - $33.51 ECS
MFactory Steel SMFW - $515.36 ECS
Spec Clutch 2+ = $809.10 TOPGEAR
Manual Transmission Service Kit - $42.58 ECS
Clutch Alignment Tool - $25.58 ECS
ECS Clutch Fork Pivot Pin - $34.95 ECS
Pressure Plate Screws - $11.28 ECS
Aluminum Bolt Set for Bellhousing - $10.95 ECS
8 Flywheel Bolts - $22.40 ECS
OEM Flywheel Lock Tool - $53.89 FCPEuro
OEM Engine Mounts & Bolts - $174.98 ECS
Oil Change Kit - $74.44 ECS
Delphi OEM Coils - $278.52 ECS
NGK 95770 - $79.13 AMAZON
BimmerHelp Blasting Attachment & Wand - $68.50 BIMMERHELP
Harbor Freight Walnut Blasting Supplies - $78.78 HARBOR FREIGHT
Amazon Engine Support Bar - $56.99 AMAZON
BMW Coolant/Water Pump Bolts - $35.62 ECS
Rear Crankshaft Seal - $34.61 ECS
Oil Pan Bolt Set - $29.12 ECS
Oil Pan Gasket - $41.21 ECS
Rear Shaft Seal - $12.25 ECS
Oil Level Sensor O-Ring - $6.39 ECS
Redline Power Steering Fluid - $11.49 ECS
OEM BMW Performance Aluminum Strut Brace - $150.00 EBAY
TOTAL = $9,141.36

To put that in perspective, I could probably buy a 335i in decent condition for that kind of coin. That also means on top of the $5,000 cost of the complete single turbo kit, it took over $4,100 in accompanying mods to get everything else up to par in my eyes, and I already had a decent amount of those components necessary to go single turbo installed prior to all of this like the JB4 + MHD, stage 2 LPFP, upgraded charge pipe, Tial BOV with upgraded vacuum source, Index 12 injectors, etc. I can probably net close to $1,500 from selling my existing twin turbo setup parts to help offset costs somewhat, but is still an enormous investment. So what does dropping over nine thousand dollars on your N54 equipped ride get you? A lot, actually.

C9jAmzu.jpg

d3bc3Ib.jpg

Before I began to totally tear the car apart for the extraordinary amount of work I was about to embark on, I thought it would be beneficial to have some baseline readings. Just a few weeks earlier I’d discovered that there was small performance shop just a few miles away equipped with a Dynojet. It only made sense to make an appointment and get some baseline numbers on the stock twins.

SzbPVVo.jpg

It only took getting into boost once before we realized we needed to add a few extra straps.

WtXjUVa.jpg

These two runs were on E40 fuel on the E85 BMS BEF on map 7. My poor, tired, and smoking turbos were targeting around 19.7psi for both runs, but were only managing to hit around 17psi and tapering off to around 14psi near redline. As instructed by Terry over on N54Tech, these runs were done in 4th gear from 2,000 to 7,000 RPM. Smoothing is set to 5. I did notice where correction was set to SAE, instead of the STD Terry suggested.

Run 1 was the run I spun the tires, run 2 resulted in 395HP & 406TQ, run 3 resulted in 393HP & 407TQ.

T2bymlq.jpg

o9Akag5.jpg

I drove the car straight back to the garage where the single turbo conversion and got to work. I already had all the new parts to go in, as well as all the tools I’d need, neatly laid out. I started with a wide open space so I could sprawl out a bit.

jlT7keb.jpg

Using the impressive Esco jacks I recently picked up, I was able to get the car high up off the ground, since I’d be spending plenty of time underneath it over the next few weeks. And because I wanted to use a creeper, so some extra clearance was needed.

OnLltY4.jpg

oEG3cLg.jpg

Back in the summer of 2016 as the 135i was about to turn over 60,000 miles, I was forced to replace the aging Michelin Pilot Sport tires that I bought the car with. Because I drive my car so much, longevity was just as important as performance for me. I spent a few days digging through TireRack reviews before deciding on the 235/265 Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 combo with a 320 treadwear rating. Over the next 18 months and 42,500 miles, I put these tires through the ringer as they took on daily driving duties in every condition imaginable: 100+ degree summers, torrential downpours, 10 degree winters, snow-covered side roads, spirited driving through mountain twisties, and multiple 400+ HP/TQ pulls on dry pavement. Usually when tires last this long, they don’t do much for performance, but Hankook was able to find a very nice happy medium with these. Maybe it’s a testament to my suspension, wheel/tire setup, alignment, and driving style, but the wear pattern on the front and rears were pretty even across the board. The fronts probably had 10,000 miles left of life in them.

Vr44zIS.jpg

My only complaint would be when running lower pressures, these did seem to flatspot when left sitting for a few days that would take a few minutes of driving to clear up. Near the end of the life of the tires, the old TPMS also began to show up as inactive from time to time and the impending warning code was driving me crazy. When it came time to start searching for replacements, and new TPMS sensors, I was very tempted to just repurchase another set of the V12 evo2s, but another tire claiming an even better 340 treadwear rating and garnering a lot of praise online ultimately won me over: the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s. I ordered the same 235/365 sizes as before, and as they always do, Tire Rack had them in my possession within a few days. Luckily I was able to stretch the life of my previous Hankooks out until this single turbo teardown, so I can have the old tires taken off and the new ones mounted/balanced in the meantime. I also prefer to take off the wheels myself, and mount them back to the vehicle myself once the new rubber is installed. The more I can reduce the amount of times someone other than me wrenches on my car, the better, especially with stuff I don’t want terribly over-torqued or scratched up. I can’t wait to stop staring at these and actually get them mounted up.

79e78RN.jpg

Since I knew I was going to be installing the massive Phoenix Race FMIC that requires a lot of cutting of the plastic front shroud, off came the front bumper. Now I had a full view of the existing 7” VRSF FMIC I’d been running for the past year or so.

O9VbfVV.jpg

Out came all the lower splash guards, plastic intake ducting out, and radiator fan so I could gain access to the t-bolt clamps on the FMIC.

3hmmuGb.jpg

After loosening the t-bolt clamps and removing the two aluminum screws holding the FMIC in place, it dropped out easily. Now I was ready to start unbolting some of the components in the engine bay to gain full access to the intake valves as a walnut blast was the first order of business.

ckVOV7W.jpg

The Mishimoto OCC hooked up to the RB external PCV in order to remove the front inlet, charge pipe and air filters.

bCuaZrM.jpg

Strut bars, BMS OCC, throttle body and all associated intake piping removed.

o6yrDn9.jpg

Vacuum canisters gone, front MMP inlet out.

uAIdgWG.jpg

chadillac2000

Corporal
Oct 26, 2017
NC
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
At this point, it was time to remove the studs and bolt holding the intake manifold in place so I could take a peek at my valves. As I had seen back in late 2017 when I removed the manifold to tap for a larger vacuum source, the valves were fairly gunked up despite the external PCV, but as Rob mentioned, the buildup did seem to be more evenly distributed and probably far less than what it could have been. Not to mention my turbos had been pushing oil for some time. Please excuse my poor photos. I have never been able to get great pictures of my valves using the DSLR. so had to resort to strange lighting and the iPhone X camera.

26kWrXw.jpg

hRNCdqw.jpg

scaqYkY.jpg

Afw7m5f.jpg

XSbziax.jpg

WCI9zLo.jpg

After noting the condition of each port, I started to assemble the supplies that I’d gathered to try my first walnut blast. In the past I’d used liquid and brushes, but it took forever and was messy. I already had a large air compressor on hand, and after checking out Jake’s video, it seemed easy enough to do the right way. And cheap. You can find all the supplies you need, plus a DIY on the video below.

[/url]

Ready to blast!

WGNNx93.jpg

I used the remote starter to get the cylinder 1 valves closed and taped off all the others.

Sa8MfZA.jpg

The Bimmerhelp 3D printed insert fit perfectly and seems durable.

ahrusgX.jpg

I loaded up the blaster with walnut shells, turned on the vacuum, attached the feed tube and air hose, and began blasting. After letting the walnuts flow for about 30 seconds, I assessed what everything looked like, used a pick to dislodge some of the still remaining gunk, blasted for another 30 seconds, and this is what cylinder 1 looked like after. Rinse and repeat for cylinders 2-6.

bchEAA0.jpg

Taking a few days off, and then I’ll be back at it this weekend getting the old clutch, flywheel, and turbos off the car in preparation for installation of the shiny new hardware.

chrisdfv

Corporal
Aug 29, 2017
Ride
E90 335i
Nice progress! I'm from the Raleigh area, and just did a single swap. My turbos were smoking sooo bad. It was embarrassing coming to a stop and having a cloud of smoke catch up and surround my car. It's so nice to be able to drive and be smoke free. It's like I got a new car! Not to mention the power band is much different now. Top end doesn't die, open dumps are awesome, and the exhaust note sounds 100x better than twins. Excited for how much more you're going to enjoy your car.

After taking off all the stock turbo/twin stuff, I can't imagine the pain of reinstalling it, and thinking about the possibility of having the turbos go bad and having to do it all over again. Even if they last 30k miles, I much rather swap a single for less money and 4 bolts, than have to do twins.

Reactions: 335i_lou

chadillac2000

Corporal
Oct 26, 2017
NC
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
Nice progress! I'm from the Raleigh area, and just did a single swap. My turbos were smoking sooo bad. It was embarrassing coming to a stop and having a cloud of smoke catch up and surround my car. It's so nice to be able to drive and be smoke free. It's like I got a new car! Not to mention the power band is much different now. Top end doesn't die, open dumps are awesome, and the exhaust note sounds 100x better than twins. Excited for how much more you're going to enjoy your car.

After taking off all the stock turbo/twin stuff, I can't imagine the pain of reinstalling it, and thinking about the possibility of having the turbos go bad and having to do it all over again. Even if they last 30k miles, I much rather swap a single for less money and 4 bolts, than have to do twins.

Oh very nice! My brother-in-law lives in the Raleigh area, so my wife and I head that way once every few months, but rarely take the 1er. The next time I'm down and it's nice out, I may bring the 135i and reach out to you. Would love to take a look at your car. It sounds like we had identical experiences, and I hope I feel the same way you do when it's all buttoned up. My inclination is that I will.

Hell yeah! Excited to see our similar builds come together at roughly the same time.

Yessir! Looking forward to future videos and following your progress on dialing in that 6266.

Reactions: suspenceful

chrisdfv

Corporal
Aug 29, 2017
Ride
E90 335i
Oh very nice! My brother-in-law lives in the Raleigh area, so my wife and I head that way once every few months, but rarely take the 1er. The next time I'm down and it's nice out, I may bring the 135i and reach out to you. Would love to take a look at your car. It sounds like we had identical experiences, and I hope I feel the same way you do when it's all buttoned up. My inclination is that I will.

I'm sure you will. Even on low boost the car is so much fun, and it's hard not to drive it wide open. The boost turned up pulls likes a freight train. Next time you're in the area let me know, and I can introduce you to our local group of N54s.

Reactions: chadillac2000

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
It's threads like these that others should aspire. Very nice. Your thoughts on the twins mirror my concerns. I actually decided to shelf the Motiv twin-disk / flywheel setup I have and hold off on turbo choices for this phase of my build because I've been unable to reconcile what to do about turbo selection. I'd like to stick with hybrid twins, but you pointed out the concerns. I also want a stock look since I don't want to deal with the emission police.

Keep posting! BTW how do you like the Esco jack stands?

Filippo

Reactions: chadillac2000

chadillac2000

Corporal
Oct 26, 2017
NC
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
It's threads like these that others should aspire. Very nice. Your thoughts on the twins mirror my concerns. I actually decided to shelf the Motiv twin-disk / flywheel setup I have and hold off on turbo choices for this phase of my build because I've been unable to reconcile what to do about turbo selection. I'd like to stick with hybrid twins, but you pointed out the concerns. I also want a stock look since I don't want to deal with the emission police.

Keep posting! BTW how do you like the Esco jack stands?

Filippo

Thanks for following along and for the comments Filippo! I stressed over the turbo decision for over a year. Pretty confident I made the right decision though. Luckily, I only have to deal with OBD emissions in NC, so parts under the car and beneath the bonnet are not even seen by inspectors.

The Esco jack stands are awesome, but combined with the Pivot-Top posts that fit inside the BMW jack pads, they are absolutely incredible! And they get the car up really high, which is very useful for jobs like this involving dropping a transmission or subframe.

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
Twins can be excellent but mostly it just pends on the build quality. Many things have improved over the years (as the platform and industry has matured) but at the same time many vendors are now focused mostly on outsourcing and quantity of sales, both of which can lead to yet again a lesser quality product.

We have been only focusing on bringing in the cutting edge turbo machinery to our own finger tips, while improving builds that has led to a level of quality we'd never would've thought possible in years past. We have seen tremendous successes with our twins, in fact out of ALL RB units shipped since 1/1/17 we have only had 1 unit come back and it was a customer/install issue (by their own account).

This all said if the turbos are built optimally (with a level of skill and time invested into them) and even perhaps some good luck on your side (ie. responsible usage patterns/maintenance/install), a failure rate sub 1% is certainly possible. As of this moment and including all units shipped since 1/1/17, we are sitting around .3% failure rate including the fault that wasn't even our own. So unless customers are breaking stuff and just not reporting it anymore lol, this is not too shabby of a statistic.

Rob

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I think the hard part is three things:
  1. Look at the thread on turbo longevity on this forum. Simply the data is weak if not disappointingly thin.
  2. History has been mixed, and difficult to separate the drama from reality from forum bullshit, from knuckle draggers with money to spare to people left at the altar having paypal'd vendors ...
  3. The general word is that hybrids are getting better ... but only time proves that out. The target on my build is that the car can do 100k miles; so turbos that make it, say 25k, is not helpful to me.
I appreciate the response, Rob, and my comment is not directed at you but more at the overall hybrid quandary. I spent 10 years endurance road racing, worked out of a race shop, ran two businesses around BMW (including a german hand tool business), have owned somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 BMWs, etc. I've built everything from tube frame race cars (body buck on up) to all kinds of restorations and modified cars. I'm sure there are plenty of people that know more than I do ... so my point is not to throw out my experience, but rather to say if a guy with my background is confused after 6 months of research that's a BAD sign. :cry:

With that said, it's my last comment on this aspect ... I don't want to interfere with the OPs killer thread. Carry on!!!

Filippo

Reactions: Xm-n54

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
I think the hard part is three things:
  1. Look at the thread on turbo longevity on this forum. Simply the data is weak if not disappointingly thin.
  2. History has been mixed, and difficult to separate the drama from reality from forum bullshit, from knuckle draggers with money to spare to people left at the altar having paypal'd vendors ...
  3. The general word is that hybrids are getting better ... but only time proves that out. The target on my build is that the car can do 100k miles; so turbos that make it, say 25k, is not helpful to me.
I appreciate the response, Rob, and my comment is not directed at you but more at the overall hybrid quandary. I spent 10 years endurance road racing, worked out of a race shop, ran two businesses around BMW (including a german hand tool business), have owned somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 BMWs, etc. I've built everything from tube frame race cars (body buck on up) to all kinds of restorations and modified cars. I'm sure there are plenty of people that know more than I do ... so my point is not to throw out my experience, but rather to say if a guy with my background is confused after 6 months of research that's a BAD sign. :cry:

With that said, it's my last comment on this aspect ... I don't want to interfere with the OPs killer thread. Carry on!!!

Filippo

Yeah I don't really disagree as the online world is a mess, so was simply tossing out a bit of clarity where it seemed appropriate. As for the OP, all is looking really great with your build, it'll be a very fun ride when done!

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
DOCRace Single Turbo Heat Shield - $120.00 DOCRACE
Exhaust Manifold Studs x16 - $15.84 ECS
Exhaust Manifold Nuts x 11 - $38.50 ECS
Exhaust Gaskets - $23.94 ECS
Replacement Coolant Pipe
I am surprised your kit didn't include these things. Small, but its a couple hundred bucks of stuff that came in my kit anyhow.

When you say replacement coolant pipe, what is that for exactly? I received a modified coolant pipe.

Reactions: LoBoost

suspenceful

10 Second Club
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i
I am surprised your kit didn't include these things. Small, but its a couple hundred bucks of stuff that came in my kit anyhow.

When you say replacement coolant pipe, what is that for exactly? I received a modified coolant pipe.

I was thinking the same thing, but didn’t want to say anything. My Doc kit came with everything I needed.

chadillac2000

Corporal
Oct 26, 2017
NC
Ride
2008 BMW 135i

The replacement coolant pipe o-ring, not the pipe itself. That comes in the ACF kit. coolant and oil feed o-rings are to be reused, but I wanted new ones of both. I think a heat shield and a full set of studs/nuts/bolts/gaskets for the manifold would be ideal with Anthony's kit, however on the flip side, this the only kit I know of that has stainless steel wastegate lines, and that was something I thought was absolutely necessary.

• Informative

chadillac2000

Corporal
Oct 26, 2017
NC
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
With the walnut blast in the books and my intake valves looking minty, it was time to dedicate the weekend to ripping out all the old twin turbo components I would no longer need, as well as address a few maintenance items I would have easy access to. To begin, the mid pipes would need to come out. As well some heat shielding before we'd have access to the driveline pieces.

Ghk331y.jpg

A clear shot of the 6MT transmission still in place right before I started removal.

v8vxQcW.jpg

Since they'd need to come out anyways and would make more room for the bellhousing bolts, I decided to remove the downpipes next.

WnVaxjT.jpg

This revealed a glimpse of the front turbo that would be coming out later.

MGcfb2F.jpg

A few minutes later and the front and rear MMP inlets were out. They had held up fairly well, but had some cuts and bruises from installation the first time around in those tight spaces.

eaMngno.jpg

I followed a few different YouTube DIY videos to get a good overview of what was involved in changing the clutch on the N54, so I had a good idea of where the bolts were situated. An array of long extensions and swivels made quick work of the lower bell housing bolts, and because I had removed the rear inlet completely, I was able to remove the three bolts on top from under the hood with room to spare.

HcrRTUl.jpg

Unfortunately I did not have an extra set of hands around, so I spent the next hour carefully removing the transmission from the car myself. What a workout. I was impressed to see the clutch and pressure plate were still in pretty good condition.

pXaRNjZ.jpg

Because I didn't have an extra set of hands, I'm glad that I had the flywheel lock tool so I was able to break loose the 8 flywheel bolts by myself.

JERBHrs.jpg

While the clutch and pressure plate seemed to be in good working order, the dual mass flywheel had seen better days. To be honest, I've thought the DMFW was noisy from day 1, but this is probably why.

Now it was time to start focusing on the fluids and remaining components between me and the turbos starting with steering. It took patience to remove the steering rack and and all the electrical connections dealing the with the active steering system, and a lot of rags to clean up all the power steering fluid, but eventually the whole rack was removed and sat aside. Then the sway bar. Then the rest of the suspension components still hanging on to the subframe, until there were none left.

I knew that I wanted to wait to reinstall the transmission until nearly the end of this install, so that required some more robust bracing than simply the Harbor Freight support bar I originally opted for. I used that, along with the tow hook installed in the engine, as well as another support bar I welded up closer to the firewall, and secured with straps for more stabilization once the subframe was dropped out.

N13v6VZ.jpg

mcLw4LZ.jpg

xwSqBZJ.jpg

Once that was in place, just a few big bolts and the subframe was out, leaving us with a pretty nice view of the twin turbos.

O9Q8VQq.jpg

TVsadQZ.jpg

Next up was to drain the coolant. I started with the radiator drain plug, letting as much release as possible, but I’m not naive. I’ve drained coolant on this car before, so I was aware I’d be in for a bath when releasing the drain point closer to the water pump. As expected, I was a wet, sticky mess by the time I wrestled off the water pump and thermostat I’d put on last year. I went ahead and removed the coolant reservoir from top as well.

tLfOVoT.jpg

This allowed for easy access to the small v-bands holding on the stock oulets. With that pipe, along with the boost solenoids and heat shield removed, I finally got a full look at the upper part of the exhaust manifolds and was taken back by the condition of the original nuts.

lJi9L5n.jpg

I had Kano Kroil and stud extractors on hand, but somewhat expected the worse given their visual appearance. While I worried about the rusted manifold hardware, it was time to dump the motor oil. For the first time I decided to collect a Blackstone sample and send it in. I’ve been wanting to for a while, but never could manage to remember to submit a request for a collection kit until recently. We’ll see how my Motul is looking at 5,000 miles, but I’ll more than likely switch to 3,000 mile changes going forward with the new single setup.

O1KK64T.jpg

Comfortably sitting undeneath the car on my creeper with all the room in the world, I began using extensions, swivel sockets, a deep 11mm socket, and the appropriate sized torx socket to slowly work through the manifold nuts, studs, oil feed/drain bolts, coolant bolts, until everything was free. I didn’t hit one snag with any of the old hardware coming off and didn’t need to resort to any stud extraction or even oil soaking, but then again I took my time and had the right tools.

I will say, that if I had been re-installing twin turbos back into the car, I would have been forced to order new drain and feed lines. 5 of the 6 were so adhered to the block and water pipe that they were deformed by the time I got them dislodged. Ironically enough, the only one that survived is the oil drain for the front turbo that I'll be reusing.

And the moment I was waiting for all weekend.

1lyN2wd.jpg

Confirmation that this rear turbo was pushing oil and the root of my smoking issue. I also noticed while the turbo was still attached to the car that the clip holding the wastegate rod was missing. You’ll notice in the picture, it’s actually come undone completely.

SYAA8be.jpg

What a welcomed sight after a weekend of removing filthy parts and getting splashed by a plethora of different fluids.

ypLJTn2.jpg

But I wasn’t ready to call it a night just yet. I wanted to get the oil pan gasket and oil level sensor o-ring replaced, so that meant we needed to remove the power steering pump in order to access all the oil pan bolts.

yOcwzMn.jpg

Once that was removed, I quickly backed out all the aluminum bolts holding on the pan.

aIEYZIa.jpg

I removed the oil level sensor, and thoroughly cleaned the entire oil pan, as well as all surrounding surfaces on the bottom of the block before reassembling everything and preparing the new gasket + bolts for installation.

tqCrDlg.jpg

R9OqVTH.jpg

wVz4MZo.jpg

The rear main seal wasn’t giving me any problems yet, but I definitely wanted to swap it out for a new one considering I had over 100,000 miles and was staring right at it. Using a seal tool, I was able to pull the old seal out.

UtZBS1a.jpg

And install the new one.

l2RcU5e.jpg

Before I left, I also took the time to install the brand new manifold studs I ordered. While some said it wasn’t mandatory, in my case, using new studs/nuts was absolutely necessary.

luZxECX.jpg

fSBmarA.jpg

Later this week, it’ll be time to start installing some of the new and exciting pieces that will be replacing all the stock stuff I just took off. Already, what a labor intensive job. I’ve been taking my time, enjoying myself, documenting, and doing some extra curriculars like intake valve cleaning, but I already have over 20 hours in this project so far and haven’t even installed anything yet.

Last edited:

chrisdfv

Corporal
Aug 29, 2017
Ride
E90 335i
Nice! Once all the nasty stock stuff is out. The job is much cleaner from here! The stock turbo/water pump removal is constant fluid baths.