CIC aux. video

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
The only problem is the touch screen portion. But I'll be doing some testing on my setup soon.

My next move is to fab a LCD touch screen in left driver vent. Will connect right to mini pc thru hdmi unused input. So screen can be seen thru both CIC and touch screen, also controlled thru touch screen on my left.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I've got this all done, so here is how it breaks down

ANY composite video input can be displayed via your idrive using a new unlocked menu

You'll need a few of these part #61131383776

Add $601 to your VO in CAS+NFRM

Code CIC
TVM_VARIANTEN
vm_l4_most_fkat

Change TV = wert_21

Use the part number I gave and add one to both the yellow composite (video) ground and +

Pop your CIC out and place the two new pins in bottom row of quad connector. + goes to 18 and - goes to 27

Will post a nice clear DIY if Amazon ever gets their shit together and delivers my mini pc to the right house.

I also have my OBD cable routed behind the cover, so you don't see shit, it starts up and turns off with the car so gauges from MHD available thru a couple limp wristed spins of controller

If I didn't want the backup camera I would have probably gone this route. I bought two obd extensions today, hopefully they will fit with the port cover on.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
There's a trick to get them to fit. Will be included in the retrofit DIY!

I bought one that points the cord down, and another which is a thin noodle type cable which goes to the side. We will see I suppose.

zmike

Jun 5, 2017
R.G.: It seems your video is shown in 16:9 not 4:3 as mine. Did you code anything else? I placed FBAS cable and code TV so I can play A/V input but just in 4:3. I’ve been reading so far there is no chance to get the FBAS input to full screen (zoom like DVD source) neither to other aspect ratio. This is my case http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=961002.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
There were a couple of coding options I tinkered with but I think the 16:9 was set by the android device, not the actual coding.

There is a coding option "TV Width" that I tried. Might have done something but I did not notice at the time. I'll have the car back this week finally so I can double check the settings this weekend.

• Informative
Reactions: JAperformance

zmike

Jun 5, 2017
R.G.: Have you had a chance to double check your settings? I found "TVC_WIDTH" but it seems to be related to a top view camera not TV.

Edit: Definitely it is not possible to extend the picture from FBAS. CVBS has fixed resolution (PAL 720x576 / NTSC 720x468). I'm just curious how you get the popup menu (the clock and other icons) on screen. I have to manually switch AUX in the external device to get a sound and then switch the TV to get a picture. But there is just the picture without popups. Thanks.

Last edited:

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I bought a cheap wifi dlna to composite output device. I stream my Mhd tab and iPhone to the FBAS tv input but now I’m going to go for the aux to get audio as well.
If I’d have found this thread last week it would’ve saved me some time lol

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
I bought a cheap wifi dlna to composite output device. I stream my Mhd tab and iPhone to the FBAS tv input but now I’m going to go for the aux to get audio as well.
If I’d have found this thread last week it would’ve saved me some time lol

I don't know if there is a better way to do it. I'm basically using it solely for gauges so I never messed with the audio side of things. Kudos for getting it going regardless. Has worked well the last 6+ months. I posted a DIY that I'm too lazy to find / post a link to but it's here at Spoolstreet.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I have not seen, is audio working too? Is it mayby to do aux1 code to wert_xx?

That’s exactly the reason it’s not working. I’m the same I don’t think I’ll need the audio so never plugged it through. I would need someone with a multimedia snap in with iPhone 4 with working A/V and copy wiring and coding

xradeon

Feb 14, 2018
Ride
BMW 135i 2013 MT
Mine comes out 16:9 ? The box I use has a selection in the settings maybe look there?

Hi aus335iguy!

Nice to know you have 16:9.. My HDMI to Composite Box doesn't have any setting apart from PAL/NTSC.. What box are you using? What pins did you used on the quad lock connector? Did you used any different programming settings from the tutorial?

VO $601 in CAS and NFRM modules.
code CIC,
TVM_VARIANTEN
vm_l4_most_fkat
TV = wert_21

By the way. I saw your posts on E90 forum and it seems you're using an iPhone 4 (that has a 4:3 scale ratio).. Can you post any picture of any 16:9 content on screen?

I'm really wishing to enable 16:9 format, because everything looks so ugly on my screen. Thanks bro!

Last edited:

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
C720B070-5E76-42C2-96B0-F2E63E05DB71.jpeg
Hi aus335iguy!

Nice to know you have 16:9.. My HDMI to Composite Box doesn't have any setting apart from PAL/NTSC.. What box are you using? What pins did you used on the quad lock connector? Did you used any different programming settings from the tutorial?

VO $601 in CAS and NFRM modules.
code CIC,
TVM_VARIANTEN
vm_l4_most_fkat
TV = wert_21

By the way. I saw your posts on E90 forum and it seems you're using an iPhone 4 (that has a 4:3 scale ratio).. Can you post any picture of any 16:9 content on screen?

I'm really wishing to enable 16:9 format, because everything looks so ugly on my screen. Thanks bro!
The TVM varienten is what kind of tv tuner your car has. I hooked it up to FBAS 2 which is the multimedia snapin connection. The post on e90 has the answer to your other questions about the box.
True 16:9 doesn’t take up the whole screen, i think that’s zoomed that your looking for. I don’t have that. See picture

Last edited:

xradeon

Feb 14, 2018
Ride
BMW 135i 2013 MT
View attachment 8817
The TVM varienten is what kind of tv tuner your car has. I hooked it up to FBAS 2 which is the multimedia snapin connection. The post on e90 has the answer to your other questions about the box.
True 16:9 doesn’t take up the whole screen, i think that’s zoomed that your looking for. I don’t have that. See picture

I've read all your post from e90 and I came to the conclusion you used a different method from the one posted on this forums (the one R.G. mentioned on page 1).. You used the snap in video input. So now I tried rolling back all the coding that enabled the TV tuner input, then hooked my cable to FBAS 2, bit nothing happened.

Next I read that you can check the selected FBAS AUX video input on the coding params, but on my car AUX video input was disabled. I had to add 6NR to VO to enable AUX input and be able to code FBAS 2 to the AUX video input. But again nothing happened....

Did your car came factory with 6NR? Did you do any coding to your car? Where do you enable or select the snap in video input from the CIC interface?

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Yes my car had snap in from the factory. When i go into multimedia i have a snap in selection, Bluetooth a well as HDD (and maybe others but id have to check) from memory.

This may be because you have a later version of CIC as your car is a ‘13 i would say you have C1a. Mine is C08 and was One of the early CICs. The only coding i did was re-add 6NR and plugged an old phone(IPhone 4s) in so it thought it was getting the signal from that.

Plug a phone into the snap in and go into the multimedia section and take a pic of the screen. When the phone isnt plugged in its greyed out ...

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Nice, you're gonna have to do some sort of explanation for dumb people like me, any audio input or just video? I really wish there was a way to get a digital signal into the car.

dam

Apr 21, 2018
Ride
E70 LCI
Finally!! Thanks aus335iguy for pointing me in the right direction...;)

How did you that ? :) I have E70LCI with CIC (cic.c1a) and I coding TV function - it's working (THX), but only 4:3 format. I try other functions and I coded all posibility options, but no result. Can anyone help me ? Sorry for my english. :)

What can I do to have a 16: 9 picture in my CIC ?

Last edited:
Reactions: doublespaces