Clutch Decisions

Midshift

Private
Nov 30, 2017
Detroit
Ride
07 E92 335i
What's everyone's thoughts on a aluminum smfw paired with a spec 3+

I've heard it's better to go with the steel if you don't want an atrocious amount of chatter. If memory serves the stock DMFW is ~20lbs, the steel SMFW @ ~18lbs, and the aluminum SMFW @ ~13lbs. Less weight has typically paralleled with more chatter. Other than that I haven't heard/seen anything bad about it. I did a lot of forum searching before making this thread.

ChrisNeil5

Lurker
Aug 1, 2017
Ride
2008 BMW 135i
I've heard it's better to go with the steel if you don't want an atrocious amount of chatter. If memory serves the stock DMFW is ~20lbs, the steel SMFW @ ~18lbs, and the aluminum SMFW @ ~13lbs. Less weight has typically paralleled with more chatter. Other than that I haven't heard/seen anything bad about it. I did a lot of forum searching before making this thread.
Hey bud thanks for the feedback, I got the smfw for free so I'm willing to give it a shot and avoid the $550 for now , I'll adjust idle to 950ish if I have too

CenTXe92

Lurker
Nov 5, 2017
Austin, Texas
Ride
'90 335i Coupe 6MT
I just acquired another option to the quite short list of clutch options.

This is the XClutch (Australian Clutch Services) Twin Ceramic Clutch with Chromoly SMF. Rated clamping for is ~1300 ft/lbs.
Price was very comparable to other Twin Disc Options. Came with a Thrust Bearing, Flywheel Bolts, and Alignment Tool.

3rd Day Air from Australia was included. Not sure if that's normal. Will be a couple months before my build is put together and tuned.

QatVW

Reactions: martymil

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
I've been using the Xtreme clutch or x clutch on my 1m for around 700km

I'm using the organic version though

Nice and quiet once you set the idle to 900rpm even with aircon on

How much did they charge you delivered ?

Reactions: Zhelyazkov

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
1300 is over 2x the holding capacity of a spec stage3+ if drive ability is the same it seems like a no brainer...

The spec/motiv twin disk can get up there but only the most aggressive version.

Be interesting to hear more reviews of this clutch.

I have a 3+ but once is wears out I am not sure what to go with other than another 3+

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
The drive is 10x better than motiv/spec with the street version

Looking forward to the review with the puck one

Reactions: Torgus

Midshift

Private
Nov 30, 2017
Detroit
Ride
07 E92 335i
Thought I would update this thread instead of posting a new one. Installed everything throughout the course of the past weeks! Have to still adjust the clutch pedal for the new clutch, and I believe the shift linkage rod is on incorrectly (shifter is shifted right, and a near-grinding feeling is present in R, 1, and 2). Should sort out those issues this weekend and be driving the car shortly!

Reactions: doublespaces

ATL-IS-N54

Sergeant
Nov 20, 2016
ATL ga
Not to hijack this thread....

I also need to upgrade my clutch as I plan to push north of 700 whp. DMFW and what clutch options should I consider, and/or eliminate...?

FWIW - 2008 135i.
The DMFW will not be appropriate for this high power application as the DMF causes distortion in the crank position sensor, and will misfire due to “detected misfires” that actually aren’t happening... it’s always cyl 6 that missfires like clockwork at 6500rpms... the CPS and DMF don’t agree at that level as the separate rotating plate of the DMF causes harmonic distortion that is interpreted as misfire and shuts off the cylinder (#6)

Xshadows

Corporal
Nov 4, 2016
Sanford NC
The drive is 10x better than motiv/spec with the street version

Looking forward to the review with the puck one

I find that very hard to believe. I just got my MOTIV SST clutch installed and it feels stock outside of first gear, but every twin disc is like that. Not sure how you can get 10x better than stock feel when it comes to a clutch.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
My motiv/spec was great for the first 1500 km and thats where everthing started turn to shit

It was installed properly as this guy has installed a number of them including my current xtreme

The take up became horrible, the take up was inconsistent, it rattled no matter where you set the rpm at.

The vibration at low rpm sounded you where driving an old dodge truck, well it most likely sounded better than this clutch

The pressure plate started to fail at around 2500km and failed by 3500km

They refused the warranty claim and said it was worn out, luckily i measured the plates and took photos and when comparing to a new clutch the difference was less than 1mm on the whole clutch stack inc the plates

My 550i clutch lasted over 8000km and is still fine but i wanted a twin plate and opted for the xtreme

Now the xtreme is over 3000km it drives like a 550i clutch but with much better feel, nice clean engagements between shifts and the take up is always the same and spot on

A mate of mine has the motiv/spec version and he is changing his out for the xtreme after he took a ride in my car

The difference is like night and day between the street versions of the clutch

There is a guy in the USA that has brought a 6 puck race version of the xtreme on
bummer boost, waiting on his review.

Last edited:
Reactions: tisdrew

Midshift

Private
Nov 30, 2017
Detroit
Ride
07 E92 335i
Update:

Clutch was doing great, break in went without issue. Was driving the car last night doing a pull and clutch slipped all through top of 2, 3, and 4. Didn't bother checking the higher two gears. Drove the vehicle today and same thing. Trying to go over anything that may have caused it in my head... only thing I can think of is the rear main seal may be leaking and oil found its way between the clutch disk and flywheel... or I possibly glazed the flywheel doing the pull last night. Have been pretty hard on the car in the last couple of days and haven't had an issue or any signs of slip. Probably will drop the trans again after my semester is over and check out what happened. Any thoughts/ideas would be helpful!

• Sad
Reactions: doublespaces

Midshift

Private
Nov 30, 2017
Detroit
Ride
07 E92 335i
I dont think it would be the rear main seal

You would smell it if it was

I would have assumed so as well, or at least a noticeable oil drip underneath where I park the car. Under the impression it would have to be quite extreme to reach the mating area between the flywheel and clutch disk. There was some oil residue around it prior to installing the clutch, but I decided against replacing it due to some DIY nightmares I had seen on other forums.

shushikiary

Sergeant
Jun 4, 2018
Ride
335xi
My SPEC stage 3+ is starting to slip at 4200 RPM in 4th gear at 24 PSI on GC lite 2.0's now (so about 600 ft lbs of torque) after 80,000 miles.

So I'm about to order the xtreme clutch ceramic 230mm 2 disc and replace my clutch again.. YAY! After seeing a few reviews it seems like it was between that and the Mfactory twin disc for what I wanted. Figured I'd give the Australian guys a try and see how it goes.

Zhelyazkov

Private
Jun 23, 2017
Bulgaria
Ride
E93 335i 6MT
I'm also on the edge between Spec Stage 3+ and the Xtreme Organic 230mm Twin Disc... Luckily found this thread and I think I'll give aussies a chance...
And now with the shift bog taken care of twin disc might be a good idea :grinning:

Last edited:

shushikiary

Sergeant
Jun 4, 2018
Ride
335xi
I would, the thing is awesome. Pedal is much lighter, grips great, clutch disc weight is low so it shifts really nice. I'm quite impressed.