Coding M modules in a non M car

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Ah, that was his. I did look at it few weeks ago and had to find where I saved it. I can add the mode ID to it, but not 100% sure that's the one that's actually needed or what the timing is.

I know I saw some had used 0x315 even as far back as 330s and just sent FF F2 repeatedly to enable sport mode, but not sure that's exactly what's needed. I know at least some data doesn't cross over from M to non-M, even if the IDs do. I'll just have try with the most obvious first and see what happens.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I reckon a good can log of the various button sequences from an M3 would tell us everything we need. I’ll see if I can find someone capable

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
Calling on those who expert flashed the DSC to either 1M or M3. Did you have any CBS issues afterwords? All my CBS data seems corrupted except for oil change. Everything else is 255% with blanks for distant which is showing up in km even though it's set for miles.

I can't say for sure if this was from the flash or it happened later. I'm going to flash back to the 135i flash and see if that resolves it.

Edit: catching up on this thread looks like I should try default coding the kombi to 1M first. Might as well and the jbbf while I'm at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: aus335iguy

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Maybe just to get this in here, from E60 M5.

Probably not relevant for this, but at least worth noting:
M-Mode by testing for the value of byte 1 (byte[1] = 81 then M-drive is off, if byte[1] = 82 then M-drive is on) on ArbID 0x399
This doesn't jive with values I've logged on non-M. Can't say if it isn't diff byte, value/bit. First 2 rows should probably be M on from wheel button with 1M coding/IKM0S.

IDDLC
Data​
3996A9 27 1 FF DF FF
399653 27 1 FF DF FF
39969E 3 0 FF CF FF
399616 3 0 FF CF FF
3996D4 3 0 FF CF FF

the ArbID for the P400/500 mode is 0x315. Surprisingly the status is not broadcast by the DME, but rather the center console module (SZM).

The status is available on byte[2], which is F1 in hex (241 in dec) when in P400 and FA in hex (250 in dec) when in P500.

Edit: I tried triggering off 0x315 on my car without success. With M-Mode off, it would broadcasting of byte[2] as F2 regardless of the status of the Power button, and would shift to FA when in M-Mode (I assume this means P500s)
I would assume this is what needs to be set for trans to see mode, but since I haven't been able to log any, no idea on length, other data, frequency, count, etc. I've seen some say it's 2 bytes, but unless they aren't numbering properly above, would have to be at least 3 for byte[2]. If it is only 2 bytes, FA on byte[1] should do it.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Calling on those who expert flashed the DSC to either 1M or M3. Did you have any CBS issues afterwords? All my CBS data seems corrupted except for oil change. Everything else is 255% with blanks for distant which is showing up in km even though it's set for miles.

I can't say for sure if this was from the flash or it happened later. I'm going to flash back to the 135i flash and see if that resolves it.
After you flashed, did you default code with VO that matches the flash you used? Something in the calibration section isn't right.

- expert flash 1M or M3 0pa to non-M DSC
- default code M3DSC or M1DSC (need correct VO to get to those modules)
- calibrate DSC
- set steering angle
- clear all errors, let sleep

Reactions: Begood69

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
After you flashed, did you default code with VO that matches the flash you used? Something in the calibration section isn't right.

- expert flash 1M or M3 0pa to non-M DSC
- default code M3DSC or M1DSC (need correct VO to get to those modules)
- calibrate DSC
- set steering angle
- clear all errors, let sleep
Yes, I did follow those steps. I had this happen about a month ago and couldn't get any CBS items to reset. The dsc was throwing brake pad sensor errors, even with new ones plugged in. I flashed back to 135i dsc and it seemed that my CBS data showed again (hard to recall it was several weeks ago).

I liked the 1M settings better so I flashed back (expert flash with VO set to $UR93) and magically all my CBS data was blank. I thought okay this will be fine. Then a couple weeks later I get the red car on the lift and the brake indicator in the kombi. Now it's bothering me.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Yes, I did follow those steps. I had this happen about a month ago and couldn't get any CBS items to reset. The dsc was throwing brake pad sensor errors, even with new ones plugged in. I flashed back to 135i dsc and it seemed that my CBS data showed again (hard to recall it was several weeks ago).

I liked the 1M settings better so I flashed back (expert flash with VO set to $UR93) and magically all my CBS data was blank. I thought okay this will be fine. Then a couple weeks later I get the red car on the lift and the brake indicator in the kombi. Now it's bothering me.
The only time I had CBS issues was when I initially tried to default code 335is flash as 1M. Flashed back and was fine for a day or 2, but brakes kept coming back, kept resetting, kept coming back. I finally actually checked the brakes and the rears were done/sensor cut. Talk about ironic timing lol

Just to be sure, it's *UR93 ($ is SA code) and make sure you have a build date set they actually produced 1Ms. I use #0311 for 1M default coding and have been fine. I use my actual build date for M3 coding.

It's possible Kombi may be involved, but I haven't had any CBS weirdness from it that I recall.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Forgot, set chassis code to E82 for 1M default coding too. So,
_E82
*UR93

Edit: chassis code is in top right separate box, not in the VO list.

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
Forgot, set chassis code to E82 for 1M default coding too. So,
_E82
*UR93

Edit: chassis code is in top right separate box, not in the VO list.

Oops, typo when posting here. Used *UR93 in VO.
Luckily I'm already e82 and 0211 build.

I flashed back to non M DSC and same issue. I also tried default coding Kombi for 1M and 135i and received an error. I'm starting to think my issue is related to different VIN between Kombi and CAS. Longer story as to why. I'll report back after virginizing kombi.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I remembered you were E82 after I posted. Check your brakes too, just in case lol

Quick test on that sketch before work this morning and it did nothing. I'll have to check because previous CAN logs didn't show M button specifically (0x1D9) IIRC, but did show multimedia button (0x1D6). I can't remember if that was before or after SZL though and may need M3 specific flash/coding or flip to monitor for 1D6 instead.

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
Oops, typo when posting here. Used *UR93 in VO.
Luckily I'm already e82 and 0211 build.

I flashed back to non M DSC and same issue. I also tried default coding Kombi for 1M and 135i and received an error. I'm starting to think my issue is related to different VIN between Kombi and CAS. Longer story as to why. I'll report back after virginizing kombi.

Flashed back to 1M image and brake error is gone, but kombi still showing blanks. Sending my original dme off this week to get repaired so I can have my vins match again. I suspect CBS will start working again.

Sorry to derail the new direction being worked.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
No sweat, mostly noting out loud/crowd sourcing ideas at this point.

Post an update when you get it back in case others run into a similar issue.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Ugh... I just can't seem to get to this. Been swamped with work and spare time been building a table.

I will try and focus on this over the weekend if I can get my can logger to connect.
Thanks @NoQuarter, whenever you get to it. Definitely not enough hours in the week or maybe too many during the week, not enough on the weekend.

Begood69

Corporal
Nov 13, 2016
Fayetteville, NC
Ride
335i N54 Predator 3.2L stroker
20201101_133309.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: RSL and derekgates