Ride
335i DCT 2009
Also is this roughly what you did ?

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
I assume this can still work with my current SZL, just need to code it with the 1M? or do i need the SZL from the 1M? as my button where the M button should be is just the Multimedia button, but if i keep my own SZL and the Steering wheel, then the Media button would then become the M Button.

Yea, i think the configuration may very welll be similar, will test my current configuration for launch this afternoon to see if it was just a user error on my part and then give feedback over the weekend.
So I was wrong. My LC works just fine lol.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Have you looked at the DSC trace file to see if MDM Options have changed?
It could be that the DSC needs a different ZB
What Daten do you have ?

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Also is this roughly what you did ?

Yeah the key to 'defaulting' is disabling the PSW/MAN file when "SG_CODEIREN" ... Can toggle the checkbox for the profile in NCSExpert when defaulting and then set it back to 'using the PSW/MAN file' (which is how you change values for the coding using Dummy or Coding Tools)

DarkMatter

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
Yup, I was using the expert/factory/default profile in NCSExpert with does not using the PSW/MAN file when doing SG_CODEIREN. I think the issue might have been outdated Daten files, which I have since updated in NCSExpert, Edbias, and WinKFP.

Before I go ahead with default coding the 8BMOT DME module, does anyone know whether doing so will remove any tunes from the car? Or is engine tuning separate from default VO coding to the DME?

DarkMatter

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
Hi, quick update. I went ahead and default coded the 8BMOT module. When I do SG_codierenlessen to read the module and check the FSW_PSW.TRC file, I can see that there are now MDrive options - so I think I have successfully coded the module. This is true for the M3DSC module as well.

However, I am still running into the same problem. The "M" button brings up the green icon on the dash, but still no MDM.

I have disconnected the battery for now and will try starting the car in an hour when the modules have all reset. In the meantime, I am also going to see if there is any additional coding required to activate MDM on the non-Drive model.

Reactions: aus335iguy

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
So have a look at the TRC file from your DSC now. Are the values active ? If they are then we need to look elsewhere. Do you have the factory instructions for MDM for cars without Idrive ?

DarkMatter

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
Yes; the MDrive related values from the M3DSC module are active. I will take a screenshot later when the car is plugged back in.

Not sure what you mean by factory instructions for MDM for cars without iDrive - perhaps this is what you mean?
attachment.jpg

Reactions: aus335iguy

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
That instruction says that when you press the button and the M indicator is active and that M dynamic mode is active. It doesn’t mention any other indicators. Wondering if it is on and how else we would test.

DarkMatter

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
Not sure why the MDM wouldn't show up on the cluster if the mode is indeed active. I have default coded the KOMBI to include $2MD.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Information on non Idrive cars is scarce
I did find this on page 77 of the M3 manual
The other indication is a flashing DSC light.

Attachments

• D3119B21-51A5-4AED-B754-B922F8CBAE0E.png
    D3119B21-51A5-4AED-B754-B922F8CBAE0E.png
    691.5 KB · Views: 36

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Ok I think I found something courtesy of “stiles_s” on e90 post here ...

“OK, figured it out. I'd never seen the MDM light on the dash before because I wasn't paying attention to the "idiot lights" on startup.
Yet another .11.5 that has this "off" as delivered. I pressed the M button for 5seconds while in M-Mode and viola -- MDM. Didn't even know I was missing anything
smile.gif

Reactions: derekgates

DarkMatter

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
Hi @aus335iguy - apologies for the delay.

Today I tried the coding again from the start:
  • I removed option $2MD from the VO for CAS and NFRM, performed FA_write on both modules, then performed default coding SG_codieren on all modules (including 8BMOT DME, M3DSC, etc.) (excluding MULF and MASK which I was not able to write to)
  • I started up the car and noticed that despite removing $2MD, pressing the change audio source button (which is an M button on M-Drive equipped cars) brought up the green M icon on the instrument cluster - I suspect that the change in hardware enables this functionality
  • I added option $2MD to the VO and performed default coding SG_codieren and SG_reset on all modules (see notes in first bullet)
  • Observations:
    • Green M button lights up but still no MDM mode
    • I am not able to save a profile to my M mode - i.e. after changing around the Power and EDC settings, then pressing and holding down the M button, it does not save settings)
    • Pressing and holding the M button for 5 seconds does not enable MDM mode
These are the trace files currently:

8BMOT DME:
MILANSTEUERUNG - wert_01
MSA - nicht_aktiv
IGR_CODIERUNG - nicht_aktiv
KRAFTSTOFFAUSLEGUNG - wert_01
MDRIVE_MSS - aktiv
MODELLJAHR - wert_02
CKM_CODIERUNG - aktiv
OELWARTUNGSINTERVALLMSS1 - wert_02
M_BUTTON - aktiv

M3DSC:
RPA - aktiv
M3_BAUART - wert_01
M3_GETRIEBE - wert_00
M3_UEBERSTEUERN_MUE_0 - wert_01
M3_UEBERSTEUERN_MUE_1_2 - wert_01
MDYNAMIC_MODE_USA - aktiv
M3_PRE_MSR - nicht_aktiv
LENKWINKELKENNLINIE - wert_00
LAT_EBD - nicht_aktiv
US_VEHICLE - nicht_aktiv
POHO - nicht_aktiv
DDS_PLUS - nicht_aktiv

Last edited:

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
It looks like its active( US mode can be set to Nicht_active For euro MDM :)
SO i found this on e90 post... the only thing you haven’t mentioned is the steering wheel calibration from s14 on e90 post

For those guys want self Code it:
NCS-Expert

1. Change VO to add $2MD in CAS & NFRM (NFRM updates FRM automatically) [modules that store the VO] using NCS Expertmode (Read VIN & VO, Update VO with $2MD, Write VO to ECU's using FA_WRITE) - <F1><F3><F2><F6><F4><F2>FA_WRITE<F3> for each of the 3 modules.

2. Process car using NCS Expertmode to set factory defaults for updated VO (Read VIN & VO, Process Car) <F1><F3><F6><F3>Process Car<F1>Code Car.

If stuck on most2 just Code all other modules with clear man file

Ediabas:

3. Reset steering angle sensor using Tool32 DSC_87.prg lenkwinkel_dsc_abgleichen.
4. Reset any faults using INPA <F9> E90 Functional Jobs <F4> <F2> Clear Error Memory.

Done with k+d-can cable just few minutes ago

General.Massacre

Corporal
May 14, 2018
Ride
2009 E92 335i DCT
It looks like its active( US mode can be set to Nicht_active For euro MDM :)
SO i found this on e90 post... the only thing you haven’t mentioned is the steering wheel calibration from s14 on e90 post

For those guys want self Code it:
NCS-Expert

1. Change VO to add $2MD in CAS & NFRM (NFRM updates FRM automatically) [modules that store the VO] using NCS Expertmode (Read VIN & VO, Update VO with $2MD, Write VO to ECU's using FA_WRITE) - <F1><F3><F2><F6><F4><F2>FA_WRITE<F3> for each of the 3 modules.

2. Process car using NCS Expertmode to set factory defaults for updated VO (Read VIN & VO, Process Car) <F1><F3><F6><F3>Process Car<F1>Code Car.

If stuck on most2 just Code all other modules with clear man file

Ediabas:

3. Reset steering angle sensor using Tool32 DSC_87.prg lenkwinkel_dsc_abgleichen.
4. Reset any faults using INPA <F9> E90 Functional Jobs <F4> <F2> Clear Error Memory.

Done with k+d-can cable just few minutes ago
Nicely done sir

DarkMatter

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
Oops, I forgot to mention. Every time I finish the coding in NCS Expert, I used Tool32 to reset the steering angle sensor and INPA to clear any error codes. That post you dug up, aus335iguy, was actually the post I used as instructions to do the coding.