Coding M modules in a non M car

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
It looks like its active( US mode can be set to Nicht_active For euro MDM :)
SO i found this on e90 post... the only thing you haven’t mentioned is the steering wheel calibration from s14 on e90 post

For those guys want self Code it:
NCS-Expert

1. Change VO to add $2MD in CAS & NFRM (NFRM updates FRM automatically) [modules that store the VO] using NCS Expertmode (Read VIN & VO, Update VO with $2MD, Write VO to ECU's using FA_WRITE) - <F1><F3><F2><F6><F4><F2>FA_WRITE<F3> for each of the 3 modules.

2. Process car using NCS Expertmode to set factory defaults for updated VO (Read VIN & VO, Process Car) <F1><F3><F6><F3>Process Car<F1>Code Car.

If stuck on most2 just Code all other modules with clear man file

Ediabas:

3. Reset steering angle sensor using Tool32 DSC_87.prg lenkwinkel_dsc_abgleichen.
4. Reset any faults using INPA <F9> E90 Functional Jobs <F4> <F2> Clear Error Memory.

Done with k+d-can cable just few minutes ago

Wait a minute... This forces a non-M DSC unit to be seen as an M DSC unit to the vehicle? On top of that you can enable the Euro M DSC behavior?

Or... is this for modifying the M3 that didn't have MDM?

I am lost where this thread has traversed to...

DarkMatter

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
Wait a minute... This forces a non-M DSC unit to be seen as an M DSC unit to the vehicle? On top of that you can enable the Euro M DSC behavior?

Or... is this for modifying the M3 that didn't have MDM?

I am lost where this thread has traversed to...

Sorry, I should have started a new thread. The issue I am having is coding an MDrive enabled DSC unit (from an M3) to my M3 that did not come with Mdrive from the factory.

Reactions: derekgates

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Sorry, I should have started a new thread. The issue I am having is coding an MDrive enabled DSC unit (from an M3) to my M3 that did not come with Mdrive from the factory.

Cool, a new thread is helpful but not always required... helps reduce confusion at the cost of discoverability. The pain of forums.

I was excited as I am about to install an M3 DSC so that I can code my N54 based 335is to have the Euro DSC behavior (less stability control interventions)... If I didn't have to swap DSC units and hardware a button to disable DSC it would be a LOT LESS WORK :D :D

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Hi @derekgates . Yes. This is force flashing and enabling of a 335i DSC so that it has M DSC programming. You wont have to physically swap the DSC(they are physically identical) You will still need to rewire the DSC button though (sorry) and it wont give you Euro DSC.......Heres why(please excuse me much of what im going to write is for my own benefit more than anything else but am i making sense here?

M Drive is the ability to save various settings Power, EDC, Servotronic, drivelogic and DSC intervention level (including M Dynamic Mode)and recall them by pressing the button on the steering wheel.
On an n54 (with M3 DSC and IKMOS rom ) the button press will call up sport mode from the DME. I dont know for sure that M Dynamic mode has been achieved on a 135/335/z4 before but some members have managed to get aspects of M Drive going(Youll need IKMOS for the Power part) See here https://bmw.spoolstreet.com/threads/n54-dct-w-m3-conversion.3380/

@derekgates Once you finish your conversion It may also call up your TCU drivelogic level but i dont know /am not clear on what works on who's car, when it worked or why anymore lol
@dyezak, @LMB335is, @Begood69 have done the conversion so they can comment on their experience

M Dynamic mode is the lower level intervention of DSC found on M cars that to my knowledge can only be invoked using the M Drive button. You can disable the DSC completely on an M using M Drive or the DSC Button as well.

@DarkMatter is able to activate M Drive as his M3 "Power" level and EDC changes however he cant seem to see the M Dynamic mode change. (it should have the separate DSC indicator on the dash. Ordinarily you go into your idrive and select which level of DSC intervention you want but the complication is that Dark Matters car is non Idrive.

Phew....Is that all correct ?

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
So @DarkMatter ive been looking into your problem and ive found something that may/may not help you and us all.
Jphugun on E90 post says here https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580933
"Nope. The only time MDM and Sport Servotronic can be enabled (somewhat annoyingly) is when M Mode is enabled, which are only possible if you have M Drive, which until 2011.5 was only available as part of the Tech Pkg."

What this means is that M Drive (2MD) may also need to be accompanied by another code in your VO that is for Mdrive for cars without the tech package.
If thats the case we need to change the VO and recode .
Ill keep digging but if theres an M Tech pack code .....
Do you have these in your VO
S2VFA ADAPTIVE M CHASSIS
S2VKA DYNAMIC PERFORMANCE CONTROL

What this might mean is that we need to update the ZBs on modules in your car to ones post 2011.5 because this was the time when non tech package cars had MDM. What year is your car ? This could be as simple as changing build date OR it could mean we have to figure out which module needs updating

Last edited:

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Interesting.

I will hardwire the M3 DSC to the DSC OFF button (instead of JBBF) as per requirements.

I do not understand why Euro is not available unless unit is changed.. if the units are the same?

Are you saying we make the swap of hardware for no reason?

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Interesting.

I will hardwire the M3 DSC to the DSC OFF button (instead of JBBF) as per requirements.

I do not understand why Euro is not available unless unit is changed.. if the units are the same?

Are you saying we make the swap of hardware for no reason?
Euro MDM is activated ONLY through M Drive. You cant go half off DSC with a short button press as we do in non M cars. Whether you use the n54 dsc and recode OR you use an M3 DSC that mode needs M DRive to make it go.... You can go full off with long button press and full off M dsc is less intrusive than ful off non M dsc.
In other words - You need to make M Drive work to to make MDM work in an N54 car... It does but those folks above have done it and it still doesnt seem to have the magic sauce (as far as i can tell). Each of those people mentioned have done the conversion but as far as i know @LMB335is and @Begood69 dont have MDM. They get the sharper throttle maps only when they press the button. Please correct me if im wrong ?

Last edited:

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Ohhhhh. Is Euro M mode just our “half off” but more lax to allow slip?

I am dense to all of this as I only lusted after an M3, not owned. 😝

Last edited:

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Regarding throttle map changes, it is the throttle sensitivity maps that were recently found. I have a tune by @WedgePerformance that uses those tables at all times.

So for the “looser” stability programming I have heard about with the M3 DSC hardware, I could instead force flash my DSC unit? To control on/off I still need a hardwire on pin 31(41?).

If Euro M DSC is desired, a similar “half off” that N54 cars come with, then MDM enabling must be utilized. An M3 can activate this but unknown for N54.

Is that right?

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Regarding throttle map changes, it is the throttle sensitivity maps that were recently found. I have a tune by @WedgePerformance that uses those tables at all times.

So for the “looser” stability programming I have heard about with the M3 DSC hardware, I could instead force flash my DSC unit? To control on/off I still need a hardwire on pin 31(41?).

If Euro M DSC is desired, a similar “half off” that N54 cars come with, then MDM enabling must be utilized. An M3 can activate this but unknown for N54.

Is that right?
Yep. I forget the PIN numbers might need to check the other thread

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
M3 DSC:
1C3BC086-3030-40F5-8ACE-058DC3BA3732.jpeg

Reactions: aus335iguy

DarkMatter

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
"Nope. The only time MDM and Sport Servotronic can be enabled (somewhat annoyingly) is when M Mode is enabled, which are only possible if you have M Drive, which until 2011.5 was only available as part of the Tech Pkg."

What this means is that M Drive (2MD) may also need to be accompanied by another code in your VO that is for Mdrive for cars without the tech package.
If thats the case we need to change the VO and recode .
Ill keep digging but if theres an M Tech pack code .....
Do you have these in your VO
S2VFA ADAPTIVE M CHASSIS
S2VKA DYNAMIC PERFORMANCE CONTROL

What this might mean is that we need to update the ZBs on modules in your car to ones post 2011.5 because this was the time when non tech package cars had MDM. What year is your car ? This could be as simple as changing build date OR it could mean we have to figure out which module needs updating

I think you are on to something here. My car is a 2008 no iDrive. I've been trying to add MDM/MDrive to it, but no M3s were ever produced with MDM/MDrive before 2011. Essentially I've been trying to code an impossible configuration.

I think the approach now might be:
  1. Changing the build date of my VO to a later date
    • Is this as simple as deleting the #XXXX value in the VO and adding a later #XXXX date value? If so, what is the format for the build date? Do I just put #0910 for Sept 2010?
    • Do I need to perform the FA_write procedure on the CAS and NFRM? Or is having it temporarily changed good enough for step #2?
    • Do I need to change the VIN as well to match the updated build date?
  2. Default coding (SG_codieren) any related modules. I'm thinking of starting with M3DSC module first.
  3. Change the build date back to the original, clear codes, reset steering angle sensor, etc
  4. If this doesn't work, I will repeat but with the 8BMOT DME module too.
Thoughts?

Last edited:

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
This is a similar process to Combox coding re changing the date. have a look at those guides on exactly how to that.
Defaulting the modules needs to be done whilst date is later. Apart from that I don’t know what will happen as we’re in uncharted territory. Your experience will help guide others.We need to make sure the zb on your DSC is upto date I’d suggest you have a look at that before anything else.

DarkMatter

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
Thanks for the response. I did some reading on ZB and it's something I haven't done before, but doesn't seem to be too difficult to check and update if it's only the M3DSC module I will be tackling. At least that's where I will be starting anyway. So my plan now is to update the ZB of the M3DSC module to the latest, change build date to Sept 2010, SG_codieren the M3DSC, then clean up (revert build date, clear codes, reset steering calibration).

Hopefully this works. I would like to avoid updating the ZB of the 8BMOT DME as I have an aftermarket tune on my car.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Thanks for the response. I did some reading on ZB and it's something I haven't done before, but doesn't seem to be too difficult to check and update if it's only the M3DSC module I will be tackling. At least that's where I will be starting anyway. So my plan now is to update the ZB of the M3DSC module to the latest, change build date to Sept 2010, SG_codieren the M3DSC, then clean up (revert build date, clear codes, reset steering calibration).

Hopefully this works. I would like to avoid updating the ZB of the 8BMOT DME as I have an aftermarket tune on my car.
it could be that the DME ZB isn’t late enough as well. If the date change doesn’t work that might be something to try. Do you have a way to back up the tune ?

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Well I have an M3 DSC coming from @LMB335is today or tomorrow, I can compare as well. That's gonna suck if we've been going through the work of replacing the DSC unit when we could have forced the coding and ran the hardwire!
It’s only been a thing for a little while. PeterY over e90 forums posted about it

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
It’s only been a thing for a little while. PeterY over e90 forums posted about it

You aren't kidding. July 2019!

I have totally read this before and it went past my head!

Superwofy said:
Not meaning to hijack the thread, I flashed a non-M DSC to the M3DSC tonight and there was nothing special to be done.

Original ZB was 6862873.
I flashed it in expert mode with ZB 7846816 (only one)

You need a DSC90 abs unit. I believe this is standard on 6 cylinder cars, don't know. I was worried about the size difference in 0pa files (1822kb vs 2059kb) but the flash went fine. UIF updating failed so the ZB number reads 000000. This may be fixable with tool32 or you know, just flash again in comfort mode.

I then coded with blank man file and *WD92, $2MD in the VO. Then used ISTA/D to do the valve adjustment, error clearing. All working.

DSC switch will have to be rewired. 1M M-drive works now, throttle is quite touchy but I like it. I'm experimenting to see if I can make servotronic switch between COMFORT_STROM and SPORT_STROM. I'm pretty sure MDM works but without the switch I can't tell.

Parts:
IKM0S MSD81,
M3DSC flash,
M3 2MD SZL,
CIC with newer software (MDRIVE_RUEKO needs to be aktiv so source button doesn't work anymore)
M3 kombi (probably optional but the EPS warning will go on instead of Mdrive)
*rewire DSC switch

Good discussion about 1M DSC traits vs M3 GTS DSC traits: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25009065&postcount=49 (PeterY)

PeterY said:
Flash all the nannies off the 335i DSC, there's nothing wrong with the 335i DSC. The M3 DSC just has a stronger hydraulic pump to cope with the bigger brake calipers. In theory if you're using your car on the track, you don't want much DSC interference anyway, so the weaker DSC pump of the standard 335i is a bliss. Just keep your 335i DSC and kill all the nannies off it by coding.

Just 🤯

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
The difference between the m3 brakes is as follows (information sourced from the internet and is subject to being horrifically wrong lol)

Different size discs M3 has 360mm front and 350mm rear
335i has 348mm front 336 rear

Different caliper piston size
M3 has 60mm (F) and 46mm (R) versus 335i 57mm (F) and 44mm (R).

Different master cylinder size
26mm front 22mm rear piston on the M3 vs 25mm front and 22mm piston rear on the 335

in other words the M3 and 335 are very different hydraulically and mechanically speaking.
The DSCs share the same electrical components but hydraulically they are likely VERY different. Hence why the M3 DSC pump is sought after and worth more pesos. Same goes for the master cylinder.(I got one)

if you’re chasing better brakes then M3 gear is definitely the way to go.
Be aware also LHD and RHD DSCs are different as they are oriented differently ;)