Coding M modules in a non M car

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
You aren't kidding. July 2019!

I have totally read this before and it went past my head!

Good discussion about 1M DSC traits vs M3 GTS DSC traits: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25009065&postcount=49 (PeterY)

Just 🤯
Yah... there’s some stuff in that thread that blew my mind also. One thing is how he managed to get M3 calibration data on non m DSC program Data. I’ve been trying to figure out how he did that. Problem is I’m no software engineer but even superwoofy from that thread tried and he couldn’t manage it either.
Ive reached out to peter but he doesn’t respond. My aim is to get an M3 DSC calibration,MDrive and active cruise working together.
I WANT MY F$&KING MDRIVE !

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
The difference between the m3 brakes is as follows (information sourced from the internet and is subject to being horrifically wrong lol)

Different size discs M3 has 360mm front and 350mm rear
335i has 348mm front 336 rear

Different caliper piston size
M3 has 60mm (F) and 46mm (R) versus 335i 57mm (F) and 44mm (R).

Different master cylinder size
26mm front 22mm rear piston on the M3 vs 25mm front and 22mm piston rear on the 335

in other words the M3 and 335 are very different hydraulically and mechanically speaking.
The DSCs share the same electrical components but hydraulically they are likely VERY different. Hence why the M3 DSC pump is sought after and worth more pesos. Same goes for the master cylinder.(I got one)

if you’re chasing better brakes then M3 gear is definitely the way to go.
Be aware also LHD and RHD DSCs are different as they are oriented differently ;)

Great insights!

I am not really chasing after bigger brakes right now, instead I want less interventions. I thought the only way to do so was to change the DSC unit completely.

One day I will go with bigger brakes, sure, and that will be great! However, replacing stock turbos is around the price of a big brake kit.... BOOST IT IS :D

Will consider swapping the unit completely or just forcing M3 DSC flash onto my stock unit. I have to wire either DSC unit directly...

S54ca

Private
Apr 4, 2020
Tried to get the 135i SZL / MDM (traction control) working again tonight by default coding the DSC, KOMBI, and JBBF with a 1M V0 with no success.

I also tried flashing the CIC with the ‘PL5’ option to get the Z4 traction control menu, which flashed fine, but still didn’t change DSC modes when toggled via iDrive.

Beginning to think that a specific JBBF HW or ZB may be needed to unlock this functionality (my car has a 03/09 build date)

Following up here. Coded a real 1M with the MDrive option on the CIC and was not able to toggle DSC modes successfully via the screen. Seems this functionality is solely reserved for M3DSC programming.

Reactions: aus335iguy

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Hmm. Build date may be playing a part here as well. The reason I say that is because the people who did manage to get it working were 335is cars and as far as I know weren’t produced until 2010 or 2011.

Edit wrong again... this was a genuine 1M not the 135i.
I Does anyone else get the feeling that there’s a stack of retired BmW engineers reading along at home laughing as we fumble around reverse engineering their work?

Last edited:

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Does *anyone* actually have steering wheel M button working on 1M SZL+1M DSC flash+IKM0S?

I've default coded DSC/Kombi/CIC/JBBF multiple times now and like @S54ca a few pages back, buttons have changed with recirc now controlling media source and media source (would be M button) does squat. CDBD error present (message SZL to DME), obviously still a link missing somewhere.

Has anyone been able to get it working on only 1M DSC/coding/DME rom that can offer some insight?

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
He's on M3 setup I thought? I mostly want to see if a sport flag is set on 1M M button that will reach the TCU. The power button on M3 is the technically the sport button, so I assumed 1M route is the only option short of CAN shield. Maybe the M3 wheel still triggers it on IKM0S regardless of lack of power button?

Maybe he or someone can log to verify DKG sport status with M3 M button on.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
If he or anyone can verify sport active in DKG with it, I'll do M3 DSC. I actually thought 1M would be easier, but after looking around, seems like M3 setups are what has it working. Not sure if it provides a flag or just changes to low table though.

I don't think I've seen one confirmed case of it doing anything at all with 1M DSC+coding yet.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
You can flash 335i DSC to M3 DSC no problem, but you need to rewire the DTC/Traction button direct to DSC unit (either DTC button or the DSC OFF button from M3). At that point you should be able to activate more? Or does the DSC ZSUB even matter?

[EDIT]: I have an M3 DSC unit that I can install, not sure if the actual hardware is needed. I need help with the ISTA/INPA procedure for flushing the ABS part of the unit, though.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
If I can avoid repinning by using 1M flash/coding/routing, I'd prefer it. It's basically just to try to get sport mode acknowledged in the TCU first and foremost. 1M M button should basically be the equivalent of sport button on 335is.

Nothing with 1M coding seems to do it, so maybe I'll leave 1M DSC flashed for now and code DSC and CIC (and JBBF?) with M3 VO see what happens.

I don't think you need the M DSC unit at all. The calibration is easy in ISTA, but you need to do the steering angle first. ISTA probably does steering angle, but I used Tool32. If/when you need it, I can walk you through it.

Reactions: derekgates

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
If I can avoid repinning by using 1M flash/coding/routing, I'd prefer it. It's basically just to try to get sport mode acknowledged in the TCU first and foremost. 1M M button should basically be the equivalent of sport button on 335is.

Nothing with 1M coding seems to do it, so maybe I'll leave 1M DSC flashed for now and code DSC and CIC (and JBBF?) with M3 VO see what happens.

I don't think you need the M DSC unit at all. The calibration is easy in ISTA, but you need to do the steering angle first. ISTA probably does steering angle, but I used Tool32. If/when you need it, I can walk you through it.

I would like that. I know the M3 DSC unit has more hydraulic force, but I think that's where differences end.

Happy to be a guinea pig, or at least a car to compare against, if you want to dig into this... Ah crap I don't have the ZSL yet.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I would like that. I know the M3 DSC unit has more hydraulic force, but I think that's where differences end.

Happy to be a guinea pig, or at least a car to compare against, if you want to dig into this... Ah crap I don't have the ZSL yet.

I don't know if you need the SZL either honestly. Brintech? or someone said any SZL will take the coding, but may take several tries IIRC.

For steering angle, I used Tool32 and DSC_87.prg. Get your VIN checksum (last character) from NCS Expert VO, but I *think* 1 as a checksum works for this.

- lenkwinkel dsc abgleichen. Full VIN with checksum char at end as argument
- same for c_fg_schreiben with VIN with checksum
- same for c_fg_auftrag with VIN with checksum

Not sure the c_fg's are necessary if you aren't changing the unit, but I did them anyway. I cleared all codes, then opened ISTA, but you can clear them in it.

Open ISTA. Change connection setting to Ediabas default if it's not. Click operation tab and then read vehicle. Read complete vehicle info. It should populate the module tree and DSC will have errors. Click on DSC, show errors, bottom right should be a button to calculate test plan. Click that and repair screen will come up. Next, next until it asks if you want to perform calibration. Click yes, then next. Let it run until it completes and you're done. Clear/fix any remaining errors.

The only error I have left is the SZL to DME.

Begood69

Corporal
Nov 13, 2016
Fayetteville, NC
Ride
335i N54 Predator 3.2L stroker
Hey. Im sorry but im los. What do u need?
I have all m3 dsc, m3 szl and m3 all components (dsc button, jbbf... ) how can i help?

Begood69

Corporal
Nov 13, 2016
Fayetteville, NC
Ride
335i N54 Predator 3.2L stroker
Does *anyone* actually have steering wheel M button working on 1M SZL+1M DSC flash+IKM0S?

I've default coded DSC/Kombi/CIC/JBBF multiple times now and like @S54ca a few pages back, buttons have changed with recirc now controlling media source and media source (would be M button) does squat. CDBD error present (message SZL to DME), obviously still a link missing somewhere.

Has anyone been able to get it working on only 1M DSC/coding/DME rom that can offer some insight?
Mine is coded m3 and yes it works on my car. Light shows on the kombi, and I feel it on the throttle response (more linear, better throttle response..)

Reactions: derekgates

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Mine is coded m3 and yes it works on my car. Light shows on the kombi, and I feel it on the throttle response (more linear, better throttle response..)

Thanks @Begood69, info would be great,

-Have you replaced JBBF or is it just coded as M3?
-You're on IKM0S, correct?
-Do you have only 2MK and 2MD in VO or did you add/remove anything else (besides 2TC).
-Do you have CIC? What modules did you code in all? Any additional coding changes from M3 default?
-Do you have the Power button connected to anything at all?
-Any chance you know your SZL part number?

Trying to nail down 2 things: 1) what is actually needed to get the button working/connected at all and 2) what it's actually indicating to the system on an M3 setup when it is active.

If you have Tool32 or Testo, in the DKG_90.prg->status_istwert_lesen job, can you monitor and tell me what stat_sport_taster_ein and stat_taster_lenkrad_schaltwippe_wert read when the button is active/inactive.

If you have time while you're in there, stat_schaltdiagramm_ags_text and stat_schaltdiagramm_ags_wert would be great too. Those go together and indicate shift map used and EGS value for each. They should change with DriveLogic Level. I have "normal" values for D and manual, curious what they are when the button is active.

Basically, button active, D and run through drive logic levels and then again for M. Would look something like this, where XE, E, etc. are the text and number is the EGS value:

D (default DL2): XE / 0
D DL1: XE 0
D DL3: E / 1
D DL4: S / 2
D DL5: XS / 3

M DL1: XE /0
M DL2: XE / 0
M DL3: E / 1
M DL4: S / 2
M DL5: S / 2
M DL6: S / 2

I know it sounds like a lot, but can all be done in the driveway/garage and once you get Testo/Tool32 open, should just take a few minutes for everything. I just take notes on my phone while I'm going through the maps/EGS position.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
@Begood69 additional questions lol Did you replace the entire switch/stalk unit or just the clock spring and were your multi-function buttons stock or replaced with something else? I tried a bunch more today and am running out of possibilities as to why my signal isn't making it.

Reactions: Begood69

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I ordered a used, complete SZL with clockspring straight out of an M Drive M3. I can't see any other reason there's no connection than an SZL or button issue. Should find out Sat. P/N is 61319123060, but there's a superseding number, so I hope it still works in LCI.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
I ordered a used, complete SZL with clockspring straight out of an M Drive M3. I can't see any other reason there's no connection than an SZL or button issue. Should find out Sat. P/N is 61319123060, but there's a superseding number, so I hope it still works in LCI.

Ah crap, that reminds me... aren't there issues with the paddle shift buttons in regards to differing part #s? Could that be causing SZL issues for you?